Need help with two questions (1 Viewer)

rand_althor

HSC
For the first one: Use m=tan(x) to find the gradient of line l. Note that the gradient of line l is negative. Now, since lines l and k are perpendicular, what relationship exists between their gradients? Use this to find the gradient of line k.

For the second one: The correct answer is 2ln(4).

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
For the first one: Use m=tan(x) to find the gradient of line l. Note that the gradient of line l is negative. Now, since lines l and k are perpendicular, what relationship exists between their gradients? Use this to find the gradient of line k.

I got the same answer, 2ln4 for the second question but there's no option for it.

Flop21

HSC

Can someone explain m=tan(x)? How do you know which angle to use??

Flop21

HSC
I got the same answer, 2ln4 for the second question but there's no option for it.
I also got 2ln4.

What is this question from? Maybe it's a mistake?

nisak

HSC
you have to use tan30 because we are trying to find the slope of line k. and then by using tan30 the answer is C

nisak

HSC
thats what i thought at first because I've done this past paper before and i know its 2lnx+C but the answer for the question is actually B. unless theres a mistake with the options

Flop21

HSC
you have to use tan30 because we are trying to find the slope of line k. and then by using tan30 the answer is C
Still don't understand how you figure out to use 30.

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
thats what i thought at first because I've done this past paper before and i know its 2lnx+C but the answer for the question is actually B. unless theres a mistake with the options
Well why is it B? What happens to the "2"?

calamebe

HSC
Can someone explain m=tan(x)? How do you know which angle to use??
The gradient of a line is equal to the gradient it makes with the x-axis in the positive direction. This is because tan(x) is opposite over adjacent, which is rise over run, so tan(x) is the gradient. In this case, the angle with the x-axis is not in the positive direction, so we make the gradient negative. Tan(60) is root(3), so the gradient of the line is - root(3), and then because they are perpendicular angles we take the negative reciprocal and we get 1/root(3).

And 2ln(4) is definitely the answer.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)