• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

need help with uni options (1 Viewer)

FruFru

HSC
If you want to transfer into commerce, i don't see why you wouldn't opt to do economics? it's related to your field, and some units may carry through.
I already got an offer from uts from eng/bus, but I ultimately do wanna transfer to UNSW's com/arts. I don't have the ATAR to get in Economics in UNSW. Do you think I have a better chance transferring to com/arts from uts (bus/eng) or Arts in UNSW ?

One of my friends couldn't get into Com(international), so shes doing arts to transfer. But I guess after what you guys have said, I will tell her to do economics first.
But there's a few who couldn't get in Economics either, do you think they have any chance of doing commerce if they did Arts in UNSW then transfer? I think most of them wants to do language and then transfer second year?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
I already got an offer from uts from eng/bus, but I ultimately do wanna transfer to UNSW's com/arts. I don't have the ATAR to get in Economics in UNSW. Do you think I have a better chance transferring to com/arts from uts (bus/eng) or Arts in UNSW ?

One of my friends couldn't get into Com(international), so shes doing arts to transfer. But I guess after what you guys have said, I will tell her to do economics first.
But there's a few who couldn't get in Economics either, do you think they have any chance of doing commerce if they did Arts in UNSW then transfer? I think most of them wants to do language and then transfer second year?
The core units (first year subjects) for Econ and Comm are exactly the same this year.

EDIT: Actually, might want to double check that. It wasn't for me, but I'm pretty sure they've changed it to such for you guys.

Your friend would be an idiot for doing Arts and then swapping (assuming she even makes it). She's wasting a year. Even if she does Arts courses which are related to the International part, it may not be the same course, and hence not count, or she just may not be able to do them.

FruFru

HSC
The core units (first year subjects) for Econ and Comm are exactly the same this year.

EDIT: Actually, might want to double check that. It wasn't for me, but I'm pretty sure they've changed it to such for you guys.

Your friend would be an idiot for doing Arts and then swapping (assuming she even makes it). She's wasting a year. Even if she does Arts courses which are related to the International part, it may not be the same course, and hence not count, or she just may not be able to do them.
Yeh, I told her that, she could make commerce with her ATAR I think, but I think she was thinking it would be easier to get good marks to transfer in Arts. Thanks for your help, I'll be showing her this thread.

Also, whats your take for my situation? Transfer from UTS or internal transfer from Arts in UNSW ?

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Yeh, I told her that, she could make commerce with her ATAR I think, but I think she was thinking it would be easier to get good marks to transfer in Arts. Thanks for your help, I'll be showing her this thread.

Also, whats your take for my situation? Transfer from UTS or internal transfer from Arts in UNSW ?
I'm really only familiar with internal transfers, not external ones.
Nonetheless, I would recommend the BBus/Eng at UTS though, because if you don't make the transfer at least you won't stuck in a shit degree. BBus at UTS is an incredibly good degree, especially if you want to do Accounting (although you might not be able to major in Acct with BBus, as they have a dedicated Bachelor of Acct. I haven't checked this), and they are quite comparable to UNSW and USyd in most other majors too.
Ask Tommy about the Engineering Faculty at UTS. He'd know more than me.

FruFru

HSC
I'm really only familiar with internal transfers, not external ones.
Nonetheless, I would recommend the BBus/Eng at UTS though, because if you don't make the transfer at least you won't stuck in a shit degree. BBus at UTS is an incredibly good degree, especially if you want to do Accounting (although you might not be able to major in Acct with BBus, as they have a dedicated Bachelor of Acct. I haven't checked this), and they are quite comparable to UNSW and USyd in most other majors too.
Ask Tommy about the Engineering Faculty at UTS. He'd know more than me.
Thanks for your help.
I thought of taking the BBus/eng at uts as well, but when I found out about the new internal transfer in UNSW and how getting a >75WAM would guarantee me a place in either economics or commerce in UNSW, I thought taking Arts in UNSW is the way to go. And I have also heard people say internal transfer are easier than external ones.

The reason why I want to go to UNSW is because overseas employers may favour a graduate from UNSW more than UTS. I was thinking uni prestige would play a part in someone's employability.

C.C

HSC
I've got same problem. Hesitate between B commerce(international) @ USW and medical radiation @ Syd. Any suggestions???

HSC
I've got same problem. Hesitate between B commerce(international) @ USW and medical radiation @ Syd. Any suggestions???
no. Because they are 2 completely different degrees.

Commerce is in the realm of making/managing/anything else to do with money + business -> not just for yourself but for other people too.

Then you've got Medical Radiation here you're basically training to run X-rays and CTs (I think) for patients.

What do you think you'll enjoy working as in 5 years from now? Which ever one that is --> you go and choose that degree.

HSC
The reason why I want to go to UNSW is because overseas employers may favour a graduate from UNSW more than UTS. I was thinking uni prestige would play a part in someone's employability.
Total bs. What makes a UNSW grad better than a UTS one? In the end of the day it'll be how well you perform in your interview or job application.

moll.

Learn to science.
HSC
Total bs. What makes a UNSW grad better than a UTS one? In the end of the day it'll be how well you perform in your interview or job application.
And your GPA, what kind of personality you have and whether you can promote it properly.

rx34

HSC
Thanks for your help.
I thought of taking the BBus/eng at uts as well, but when I found out about the new internal transfer in UNSW and how getting a >75WAM would guarantee me a place in either economics or commerce in UNSW, I thought taking Arts in UNSW is the way to go. And I have also heard people say internal transfer are easier than external ones.

Hey FruFru, you should take the UTS offer and then try to transfer to UNSW's commerce. Arts is definitely easier to score well in than Commerce, especially if you are trying to transfer to Law or Medicine. However you might waste an extra year. If you are trying to transfer to Commerce/Law then doing commerce would be better as you can transfer credit. I know it sounds a bit conflicting, but you should do what you think you will do best in. For me personally I am more of a commerce person.

According to the UNSW's website you need a distinction average, GPA of 6. However, I have read many previous posts and they said a high credit average should suffice. If you are willing to work hard, I think the business subjects at UTS would be easy to do well. I'm not sure about the engineering subjects. Are you hoping to transfer to eng/comm at UNSW? If not I don't see why you should do hard engineering subjects to transfer.

C.C

HSC
no. Because they are 2 completely different degrees.

Commerce is in the realm of making/managing/anything else to do with money + business -> not just for yourself but for other people too.

Then you've got Medical Radiation here you're basically training to run X-rays and CTs (I think) for patients.

What do you think you'll enjoy working as in 5 years from now? Which ever one that is --> you go and choose that degree.
yup! I was interested in both degree! I'll see which offer come first, then make a decision!

Still thanks for help!!~

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)