need help (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Angel

im a student studying for the school certificate. and imma thinking of doing these subjects next yr:
3u
adv eng
phys
chem
vietnamese
economics

but then again, im not sure if i should be choosing them..plz help

dark`secrets

<insert title>
HSC
N/A
do you lik these subjects?

do what you like, its the best way to make the decision.

~dEjA vOuX~

Home Brand
HSC
Flick through some textbooks if you can get a hold of some...they'll give you some sort of idea about the subjects.

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
really, the choice is up to you about chosing your subs.if you've made a decision this early about your subs, shows that your a keen student and are interested in those subs already :)
i started with your subs (well, not economics, i did bio instead thats all) and i thought they were okay. what got me was vietnamese. i've been doing viet since kindergatern till year 10, but when i went into the class in year 11, i had to back off. i was born here and obviuosly, i dont have the native tongue, but my skills in reading,writing, responding were well above average and expectations. it might work for you, but personally, in my class, there were way too many international students, and i couldnt really handle it because theyre be cracking viet jokes and laughing, but i wouldnt find it funny- it wasnt only that, but the work just got boring. its the same topics as i did in year 10, just theyre more strict in marking and how you express yourself. maybe it was just me. i did it on a saturday so it was a hassle for me. i found it rather irritating starting at 8:30 on a saturday but if youre committed, then do it ;) i lasted for half a term, then i changed to religion at my school. when i changed to religion, it meant i could bludge for that 1 unit because i knew i was going to drop it anyway-so i slept in class :)
for chem/phys, do you like science now? because if you dont, then you're making a big mistake. phys/chem are a demanding course and they dont come easy. i see so many of my friends dropping one or the other because they cant handle it and end up risking 10 units.
3 unit maths is a demanding course too. i think maths is one of those courses that you just cannot lose or keep out of touch with. maths needs constant revision and practice and because ur doing ext 1, i'm assuming you have your eye on ext 2 maths. you need to work yourself a fair bit for ext 1, imagine ext2.
english adv is really for you to take a challnege. there is no easy way out of it and there is more ground covered in the adv course than they standard course.
you should ask around for people's opnions on the subjects they do because different people will have different things today. i can so see many people reading this post and saying "omg, maths is easy as pie" or "chem is soooo berlard hard, dont do it" etc. :rolleyes:

santaslayer

HSC
Originally posted by Dark Angel
im a student studying for the school certificate. and imma thinking of doing these subjects next yr:
3u
adv eng
phys
chem
vietnamese
economics

like kimmeh said...dont choose viet unless ur pretty native to it.....
or ur really committed, as for the rest of ur subjects, they're all good in terms of scaling, but the scaling process will only work for u if u get high marks in them!

newty

need anyhelp? i got band 5's n 6's and i didnt even study much, Schoo lcert isnt the TYRANIC EXAM that people have made you think it is..... even if u get shit mark you still get a School Cert hhahahahaha none the less its not back.

3u
adv eng
phys
chem
vietnamese
economics

If you plan to do these you must accept a few things.. they are HARD SUBJECTS, yr 11 and 12 is no more bullshit, expect the pangs of stress and restlessness real soon
Advanced english is really eilite, you need a broad mind and a ggood understanding, Maths, i ahte maths so u can shove that somewhere, phy and chem are a sinch u just need a clear overview of what you are doing, viet i dunno, economics is supposedly really really hard... i jsut said ma friends a whiner.... oh well GOOD LUCK

newty

Also ontop of kimmehs words on dropping, DO NOT EFFIN DROP ANYTHING! TAHTS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE ANYONE CAN DO! ur best 10 units are counted... if u only have 10 units ur screwed over if i eff up in one, remember dun pick any subjects you WONT like or WILL NOT ACHIEVE GOOD MARKS IN!

done listen to anyone if they say "ohoooo its hard' or oooo do it is sinch and it scales you' cuz the scalin is litle, unless your doin 4u maths hehe he... subjects are what you make them....
if you go through what you ahve choosen, youd b learning about AC induced generators, how to make esters, parametric studies and psycho analytical analysis in no time :D....

kimmeh

Sleeping
HSC
Originally posted by enjay
Also ontop of kimmehs words on dropping, DO NOT EFFIN DROP ANYTHING! TAHTS THE BIGGEST MISTAKE ANYONE CAN DO! ur best 10 units are counted..
IMO, 10 units is best for those who are really good in those 10 units only. theres really no point in having 12 units if your so so in 2 of those units. you might as well drop down to 10 and concentrate on them and getting them up rather than wasting your time on 2 units you suck at.

jarding432

I'm in a league of my own
ppl keep saying that the SC doesn't matter, but the marks you get in the SC can make or break you in yr 11 and 12, if you stuff it up then you Know you'll have to work really hard next year 'cause you dont have the acquired knowledge your teachers expect you to have, and if you do really well - congratulations, but don't start taking it easy, you'll have to keep it up, it's yr 12 that really counts after that

*girl04*

hey every1, how r u?
HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Dark Angel
3u
adv eng
phys
chem
vietnamese
economics

try and talk to people you know and students and teachers and stuff when it get closer to next year.

are u a mathish/sciencey person?
coz u have chem, phys and ecos all of which are sort of like yeah based around that wheras advanced english and stuff.

that was my mistake when i picked, i was an english person but i somehow picked science stuff

Sarah168

London Calling
HSC
Originally posted by kimmeh
IMO, 10 units is best for those who are really good in those 10 units only. theres really no point in having 12 units if your so so in 2 of those units. you might as well drop down to 10 and concentrate on them and getting them up rather than wasting your time on 2 units you suck at.

im doing ten units and was feeling pretty shaky about it when i first dropped EE2 but now i realised it was th best thing to do cos provided that u DO use your time efficiently and not fetter away time, it really does improve your marks in all your other subjects. although, if u LIKE the extra subjects then its ok to do 12 units as well. its different for different ppl. not everyone has the choice to do 10 or 11 or 12 units sometimes. circumstances change.

Originally posted by enjay
economics is supposedly really really hard... i jsut said ma friends a whiner.... oh well GOOD LUCK
economics is harder than it looks. i made the mistake of simply looking at the yr 11 textbook when i was picking subjects. remember to take a flip through the yr 12 one as well. economics is tricky cos it is never mentioned in junior years and most ppl dont know what it is about before choosing it. so make sure u find out about the subjects thoroughly. good luck :)

_muse_

Come on join the joyride
HSC
Hey,
Honestly, its up to you and how well you think your doing now. 3 unit maths is a subject you REALLY need to think about, we're talking about 1 page long working out,questions that have no answers...i have a couple of friends in that class who got almost 100% in maths in their SC and they can't even handle it, but honestly, its better to try it and drop down then it is to wonder if you could of handled it. Advanced English is an excellent course, i do that one myself, like many others say, you have to have a broad and open understanding of things you read, see and hear. If your doing really well in English this year then Adv. could be the way to go.
Economics- now theres a hard subject, i do this one. There is ALOT to learn. Theres not so much formulas, but there are graphs, there are curves, there are alot of different things you have too remember, and sometimes... it can be pretty complex. Subjects like commerce will get you set up for economics. Your other subjects i know nothing about, except for Physics, which is a very very demanding course.
Really and truly, its up to you, theres no shame in trying subjects and then dropping out because you find it too difficult. Give it your best shot and hopefully everything will work out for you. Good Luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)