Need some advice regarding courses (1 Viewer)

Ricktatorship

HSC
So one of my two possible career ideas is banking (trading), and I was looking for some advice/opinions on the right course to go for.

I talked to my careers adviser at school about it, and she stressed the UTS business course. Said it was very well respected etc. I also let her know of my ambition to learn mandarin during/after uni, especially if I decide to go down the business career route. At this she showed me the Bachelor of Business Bachelor of Arts in International Studies course at UTS, which imo, looks very good and would be great for future employability (with the international experience and fluency in a language). Plus I hope to do some form of exchange trip somewhere in my uni time.

link to the UTS course: http://cfsites1.uts.edu.au/business/courses/undergraduate-details.cfm?spk_cd=C10020&spk_ver_no=4

the tl;dr to the course info is that you spend the first 3 years of the 5 years doing the business course and learning the language you chose to study, then in the 4th year you go over to the country (China) for a year. Then 5th year you complete your degree.

My question: I do know that UNSW's business school is one of the most respected in Australia, so would I be better off i your opinion doing BComm there, or this UTS course?

Kimboss

HSC
N/A
To get into trading at the banks you will need the experience more than studying. I deal with bankers daily in the trading divisions, and you cant really get in there fresh from graduating, you start at the bottom and work your way up. I would be applying for a part time role at any Bank and getting your foot in the door so you are in their system. Id then be studying something Banking/Trading related as opposed to Bachelor of Business. Call a bank and see what they recommend. You will learn more with a tutor studying mandarin outside of uni than in international studies. Make some friends that speak Mandarin if you dont have any already and practice with them, call/skype/coffee all the time so you can practice it.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)