• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Need some Advice!! (1 Viewer)

SCAREME

HSC
Hey,

I'm currently in year 12 who's considering doing commerce (Finance and Banking) and engineering (mechatronic or mech or aerospace).

Are there any graduates who's completed these courses who are able to answer some of my questions:

What do you learn in finance and banking?
There is no good definition on uni websites explaining what aspects of society you learn about.

Is engineering and commerce a good double?

If i apply for co-op, can i submit an application for both fields and still be considered, or do sponsor/co-op team thinks its dodge?

Thanks Heaps:smile::smile:

astroman

HSC
i'm no expert but i'm pretty sure an engineering and commerce double is not the best choice considering they are completely different and hardly related. I guess most people do it if they wan't to join a higher position in an engineering firm, ceo perhaps?

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
I do engineering and commerce so I can give my own answer for that, noted that most people should have different views on it. Initially I thought it was a really good double degree, the skillset you receive (or what employers think u receive) from completing the course looks quite promising on your resume. The bad thing about Com/Eng is that you are only allowed to major one elective in commerce I think. Also, think about how long an engineering commerce degree is in comparison to just one commerce degree. 5.5 years vs 3 years, and in commerce you can start doing internships in 2nd and 3rd year, which gives you time to rack up your work experience and enter the workforce early. With an engineering commerce degree, you can only receive internships for commerce in your 4th/5th year, and if you end up with a finance/banking job, you could have done it without an engineering degree. Provided engineering and commerce do give a wider opportunity of careers available for you and I know Macquarie hires a decent amount of Com/Eng investment bankers.

What do you learn in finance and banking? idk lol, but my friend is in UBS and she does private equity stuff, w/e that means. u can research this yourself by looking up firms like Citibank and UBS.

I am pretty sure you can apply for both fields in co-op, but know that your application needs to show interest in a particular field. You are given 4 preferences.

Oh yeah btw im first year so i might not know shit, like 1/4 of what i said is what i heard from others LOL. do not trust me 100% pls. I just commented cause i saw noone else commenting.

mysterymarkplz

HSC
N/A
i'm no expert but i'm pretty sure an engineering and commerce double is not the best choice considering they are completely different and hardly related. I guess most people do it if they wan't to join a higher position in an engineering firm, ceo perhaps?
People tend to do MBA's to go to higher positions as an engineer iirc.

SCAREME

HSC
Oh yeah btw im first year so i might not know shit, like 1/4 of what i said is what i heard from others LOL. do not trust me 100% pls. I just commented cause i saw noone else commenting.
LOL tht plot twist - nah all good brother thx for the input!

Queenroot

I complete the Squar3
HSC
N/A
Engineering is quite demanding so unless you have a real interest in it, I wouldn't recommend doubling up with commerce. Although Com/eng can definitely increase your chances of finding a job.

isildurrrr1

HSC
N/A
engineering alone will pretty much get your foot in the door with a lot of jobs.

Engineering, law and medicine are degrees not for the faint hearted. There will be many tears, sleep missed, social life gone. It is for the strong and will weed out the weak.

Squar3root

realest nigga
HSC
Uni Grad
eng/com pretty popular and MBA is good if you want to go into the management side

nerdasdasd

Dont.msg.me.about.english
HSC
Uni Grad
Hey,

I'm currently in year 12 who's considering doing commerce (Finance and Banking) and engineering (mechatronic or mech or aerospace).

Are there any graduates who's completed these courses who are able to answer some of my questions:

What do you learn in finance and banking?
There is no good definition on uni websites explaining what aspects of society you learn about.

Is engineering and commerce a good double?

If i apply for co-op, can i submit an application for both fields and still be considered, or do sponsor/co-op team thinks its dodge?

Thanks Heaps:smile::smile:
Finance and banking is about investments , portfolios, company valuation and investing theories .
E.g. M&M, efficient market hypotheses , capital rationing

Engineering will be torture if you absolutely hate maths and physics

Finance and engineering are both content heavy and the combo will be difficult , would not recommend it if you don't have a big interest in either of them

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)