• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Need some help with my decision (1 Viewer)

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
In chemistry, its significant figures, so u look at the question and the data given, and pick out the data that U HAVE USED (in this case the 5 grams of magnesium), how many significant figures is 5? Its 1 sig fig, so ur answer should be in 1 sig fig

so n = 0 (1sf) lol

this is a bad question i shouldve done 5.0001 grams

HOWEVER, say u did a question and u used 2 values from the information given: say 0.1001grams and 0.2grams, ur final answer will be in 1 sig fig as it is the lowest
n = 0 is not 1 sig fig though.

jnney

lemon
HSC
You don't need to do general maths. Don't do it if you know you're not going to perform well in the subject.

:)

jaycoo

HSC
You don't need to do general maths. Don't do it if you know you're not going to perform well in the subject.

:)
Wait wait what do you mean I don't need it? I'm good at maths. Lets just say the teacher supervises the class rather than actually "teaching" stuff.

ResourcesHSC

HSC
I'd say as long as your comfortable with the chemistry calculations.

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
Just a quick question... What are moles?
Amount of any substance that contains as many elementary entities (e.g., atoms, molecules, ions, electrons) as there are atoms in 12 grams of pure carbon-12
Dat state of confusion

jaycoo

HSC
Amount of any substance that contains as many elementary entities (e.g., atoms, molecules, ions, electrons) as there are atoms in 12 grams of pure carbon-12
Dat state of confusion
I thought they were those spots on your skin that had hairs growing out of them HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH no. ok. so every element has a mole/s

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
I thought they were those spots on your skin that had hairs growing out of them HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAHAHAHAH no. ok. so every element has a mole/s
Your year 10 don't worry, if I tell you you might drop Chemistry

Menomaths

Exaı̸̸̸̸̸̸̸̸lted Member
HSC
A mole is the quantity of anything that has the same number of particles found in 12.000 grams of carbon-12. That number of particles is Avogadro's Number, which is roughly 6.02x10^23. A mole of carbon atoms is 6.02x1023 carbon atoms.

jaycoo50

HSC
Example: Calculate the number of moles of 5 grams of magnesium (use the periodic table)
so, you would use, n= n/Mm,

find the Molar mass of magnesium from the periodic table, that should be easy. N = 5/Molar mass of magesium, I know it could get hard becasue you have'nt learnt all that yet, so relax "jaycoo" you still have about two years, while its good to learn ahead.

jaycoo50

HSC
If I do maths would it help me? Do I really need maths? Either way I'm still keeping it. Just wondering though.
yes. do maths 2u atleast if you want to do, chemistry, maths 2u and ext 1 will help you to perfrom the calculations and understand the concepts in chemistry.

I am plainging to do maths ext 1 and 2 in year 12, my brother scored 99.95 this year at james ruse. He said if you do maths ext 1 and maths 2u at school, then chemistry becomes much easy, and doing maths ext 1 and 2 in year 12, chemistry will be much easily and you can also get a band 6.

I am planning to do maths ext 1 and maths 2u in year 11.

Last edited:

jaycoo

HSC
yes. do maths 2u atleast if you want to do, chemistry, maths 2u and ext 1 will help you to perfrom the calculations and understand the concepts in chemistry.

I am plainging to do maths ext 1 and 2 in year 12, my brother scored 99.95 this year at james ruse. He said if you do maths ext 1 and maths 2u at school, then chemistry becomes much easy, and doing maths ext 1 and 2 in year 12, chemistry will be much easily and you can also get a band 6.

I am planning to do maths ext 1 and maths 2u in year 11.
Thanks for the advice but that would be too much for me. This year I'm the top 5.2 maths class. I was recommended general maths.

Who are you? I see we have the same name.

jaycoo

HSC
A mole is the quantity of anything that has the same number of particles found in 12.000 grams of carbon-12. That number of particles is Avogadro's Number, which is roughly 6.02x10^23. A mole of carbon atoms is 6.02x1023 carbon atoms.
Ill keep that in mind so it's familiar with me. Thanks :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)