Need some major help right now!!! (1 Viewer)

Redneck Chick

HSC
ok i have to do an introduction to an assessment on fermentation of bread. but see we haven't done a whole lot on bread fermentation in class and i was sick for most of it! not good. i need to outline the process of fermentation in bread-making and the role of the yeast enzyme in the reaction. really tired can't concentrate well and really need help as its due in 2 days and teacher probably won't be at school til friday neways! please help if you can.

Redneck Chick :headbang:

nedzelic

HSC
Had have i seen that earlier i couldv'e helped you. I think your school and mine are about the only schools doing this shitty elective. The excel covers biotech in a not to bad way.

SmileyCam

HSC
ooooo, I'm doing biotech

ok, fermentation of yeast in bread-making:

the useful product is the CO2,

. . . . . . . . .yeast
C6H12O6 --------> 2C2H5OH + 2CO2

the yeast produces an enzyme, a biologicial catalyst, it allows the reaction to occur, as per the chemical equation, it breaks one subtrate, sugar (glucose), into these products. The fermentaion of sugar by yeast is used in bread dough to release CO2 gas, creating small pockets of gas, making the dough "fluffy".

is that enough?

(the dots were just to make the "yeast" go above the arrow)

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
SmileyCam said:
the yeast is an enzyme, a biologicial catalyst, it allows the reaction to occur, as per the chemical equation, it breaks one subtrate, sugar (glucose), into these products.
NO!! Just be careful with the use of terminology! A yeast is a unicelluar microorganism (saccharomyces) that is a type of fungi. It is NOT an enzyme!

If you say a yeast is an enzyme you will lose marks in the exam!

Yeasts PRODUCE enzymes capable of fermenting sugars, the yeast cells themselves don't ferment anything!

Last edited:

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
lol. yeah my heart broke when I saw your post. I was like "NOoooooooo! *sniffs*, a year 12 biology student still didn't know that a fungus is NOT an ENZYME??!" :D :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)