need ur advice pplz ! (1 Viewer)

dawma88

Dance jew dance!!!
HSC
N/A
hi i made it in actuarial cstudies (single degree) but was considering actuarial/applied finance. i have accepted my offer at macq but have few questions:

1) if i do choose to do the double degree-how hard will it get ? ( i only done 3u maths at school) and will i be studing like 5 days a week ?

2) wat are the advantages of a double degree?- more job offers, acquring part 2 exeptions etc

3) most importantly, is it worth it ?- is there a HUGE differnce between the single and double degree in terms of experience or getting jobs???

so if u can guys help me out , itt be great esp the mac actuarial students , exp that supra and ryan cck bloke

thanx alot

ND

HSC
You can decide after 1st year (the 1st yr subs are identical for acst and acst/fin). Acst/fin will not be any harder than just acst - the fin subjects are really easy. A big advantage of the double is that you're at uni for 4 years instead of 3 so you can get alot more extra curriculars on your resume.

:: ck ::

Actuarial Boy
HSC
"exp" = especially or 'except' :p lol

i havent done the fin subs but i reckon since you gotta be in uni for 4 years anyway (part 2's), might as well go for the double... unless you really want to have a masters o_O

if u wanna do the dbl after first year its pretty easy to transfer internally.. so dont worry =)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
dawma88 said:
hi i made it in actuarial cstudies (single degree) but was considering actuarial/applied finance. i have accepted my offer at macq but have few questions:

1) if i do choose to do the double degree-how hard will it get ? ( i only done 3u maths at school) and will i be studing like 5 days a week ?

2) wat are the advantages of a double degree?- more job offers, acquring part 2 exeptions etc

3) most importantly, is it worth it ?- is there a HUGE differnce between the single and double degree in terms of experience or getting jobs???

so if u can guys help me out , itt be great esp the mac actuarial students , exp that supra and ryan cck bloke

thanx alot
hey mate congratulations! Actuarial/Finance will require a gpa of 2.25...you will be able to transfer after one semester, but as ND and Ryan says, it doesnt matter because the first year for all actuarial students is very similar.

dont worry about only doing 3u maths...4u might come in handy sometimes but seriously thats in math133 and you should be ok...not a big concern at all...

appfin double isnt notoriously hard, its very common, but its an awesome degree...any actuarial degree is good FULL STOP. What is the best double? That's purely subjective.

Actuarial isn't an overly difficult degree. I found it very hard because i didn;t put the work and effort that was required...the amount of study to do depends on yourself...do whatever is required so as to know the material sufficiently well...for some people that doesn't require much study because they're freaks...but dont worry so much about this...you'll know when you're in the situtation.

A double Degree should open up more options for you.
Acst/fin is great for entrance into the finance sector (IB etc).
Acst/Comp will help you become some kind of quant.
etc etc each double degree will have its own advantages (and disadvantages)
Any double degree will include the control cycle in 4th year (Part II)

Job offers depends on you're extra curricular activities; you're grades to an extent; you're attitude etc. That said, an actuarial double degree looks good (and plus you'll have Part II covered, so its all good.

Is it worth it? hmm thats up to you, and what you want to get out of you're university studies...the third years would be more capable of answering this question...

good luck :)

Actuarial Boy
HSC
no, maths / stats degree is good too :D

Last edited:

dawma88

Dance jew dance!!!
HSC
N/A
hey thanx for ur replys

ok i see

ill most likely stick with acst then transfer after 1 yr, seeing as u only need a gpa of 2.25 ( wat does that equate to ?- credit average ?). and do u need they require any other criterias ? or is just simply getting gpa of 2.25 then transfer ot do other electives in order to transfer ?

oh and one more thing, i heard that 1st yr studnets can get free help with maths relating to their courses true ?- wat times ?

last but not least, how much do the books cost for the 1st yr roughly $500-600.

ill leave it at that !

thanx again for all ur replys, it been a big help !

CrashOveride

HSC
Supra said:
any actuarial degree is good FULL STOP. That's purely subjective.
Right on.

Supra said:
Acst/fin is great for entrance into the finance sector (IB etc).
Acst/Comp will help you become some kind of quant.
Supra knows this because he has finished these degrees and the offers are piling up on his desk ;)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
dawma88 said:
ok i see

ill most likely stick with acst then transfer after 1 yr, seeing as u only need a gpa of 2.25 ( wat does that equate to ?- credit average ?). and do u need they require any other criterias ? or is just simply getting gpa of 2.25 then transfer ot do other electives in order to transfer ?

oh and one more thing, i heard that 1st yr studnets can get free help with maths relating to their courses true ?- wat times ?

last but not least, how much do the books cost for the 1st yr roughly $500-600.

ill leave it at that !

thanx again for all ur replys, it been a big help !
gpa of 3= credit average

at mq, fail = 0, PC = 1, P = 2, Cr = 3, D/HD = 4
might as well transfer after first sem, doesnt really matter though, but just in case something goes wrong in second sem...

no u just need that gpa and hten ur doin the acst/fin program...

yeh tahts from the Numeracy Centre, not sure of times, i should have gone there myself :p apparently they are really good.

hmm cant remember cost of books...i can find out later when im not so tired and let u know...just get your books second hand anyway...

Actuarial Boy
HSC
numeracy centre is alrite... just the tutors always busy .. sometimes the tutor there isnt that good though

i remmeber there was one fob chick there.. she was heaps helpful and helped a group of us actuaries finish the maths assignment

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
CrashOveride said:
Supra knows this because he has finished these degrees and the offers are piling up on his desk ;)
lol stfu bitch...but you sort of know what kind of jobs you can get with what double...

noneother said:
Supra did you pick up law this year? Best of luck man!
yeh thanks mate. Law is better for me, I'm more suited to it...ill be dropping my actuarial major soon though, i think you did that too, right?

... said:
math 132 ftw (for the win) fellas!!!
compulsory first semester subject for actuarial students now...poor bastards.

^___^
HSC
numeracy is probably one of the best thing ever invented
ryan only said it is "always" busy, cos he "always" turns up the day before the assignment is due, of course its going to be busy then..who turns their back on free help in maths!

but during the week, when no test/assignments are due, its like..dead quiet. The tutors vary in terms of quality, you will know which is good and only rock up when they are on duty...

as for math132, thats easier to pass than comp 115 :p

CrashOveride

HSC
:: ryan.cck :: said:
i remmeber there was one fob chick there.. she was heaps helpful and helped a group of us actuaries finish the maths assignment
Was that the indian looking girl. I remember correcting her on several occasions :wave:

Last edited:

Actuarial Boy
HSC
lol yeah true jimmy :p

nerm:
nah it was a chinese one

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
:: ryan.cck :: said:
lol yeah true jimmy :p

nerm:
nah it was a chinese one
out of interest was the curry one any good...btw im not talkin about her tuition ability

i really should have gone to Numeracy Centre, i regret that, i might have even learnt maths properly

_Alfie_

HSC
lol, first time I've heard someone doin ACST wanting/needing to go to the numeracy centre. Don't they only teach likereally basic stuff there?

^___^
HSC
_Alfie_ said:
lol, first time I've heard someone doin ACST wanting/needing to go to the numeracy centre. Don't they only teach likereally basic stuff there?
nope, they help you with assignments/tutorial questions
basically its run by tutors or PhD students..

i saw a few acst ppl there consistenly over a few wks studying

dawma88

Dance jew dance!!!
HSC
N/A
need further advice pplz !

hye should i follow the recommened program that the uni suggests ?

1st semester
ACST151 Introduction to Actuarial Studies 3
ECON110 Macroeconomic Principles 3
STAT171 Statistical Data Analysis 3
MATH132 Mathematics IA (Advanced) 3

2nd semester
ACST101 Techniques and Elements of Finance 3
ACST211 Combinatorial Probability 3
ACCG105 Introductory Financial Accounting 3
ECON111 Microeconomic Principles 3
MATH133 Mathematics IB (Advanced) 3

remember im a 3u boy , would i be able to cope with it ? and what are your thoughts about the program ?

last but not least- can i transfer into actuarial studies/applied finance after one semester with a gpa of 2.24 ?

thanx guys for the postive and helpfull input !

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)