NEED URGENT ADVICE: Can I/Should I do a Commerce degree when I've no Comm Background? (1 Viewer)

cssftw

HSC
Hey guys, I don't know if I should do commerce or not - I haven't done Economics or any other related subject in HSC - but as far as the subject goes, I don't hate it, nor do I love it, it sounds fairly interesting, and I might find it enjoyable. Might.

So tips, opinions, any forms of advice, okay GO! xD Seriously I'm an absolute lostie on this and all though it is fairly insignificant its eating me up inside. :(

Thanks for the opinions guys

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad
Re: NEED URGENT ADVICE: Can I/Should I do a Commerce degree when I've no Comm Backgro

First year doesnt have any real prerequisites. You can get by without having any previous idea about commerce/economics as it is all in the textbooks/lectures/tutorials. If you do it for a year and realise that you hate it, it will still give you a strong foundation in the operations of business and trade and can transfer to whatever else you might find interesting. Personally i think the content is related to everyday life so its worth a try!

cssftw

HSC
Re: NEED URGENT ADVICE: Can I/Should I do a Commerce degree when I've no Comm Backgro

do they teach u the basics of commerce/economics? like absolute baby steps - basics??

gwenwiver

HSC
N/A

UTS has business degrees which have 8 foundation subjects, one of which is economics in the first year
http://handbook.uts.edu.au/courses/c10026.html#F17
Mathematics and any two units of English are assumed knowledge

UWS has similar system with a common core of units
http://handbook.uws.edu.au/hbook/course.aspx?course=2753.1

You can check out other universities to see if they also have introductory subjects in the first year.
If you are in Victoria Monash has the same system.

So you don't need to worry.

Shadowdude

Cult of Personality
HSC

If you might find it enjoyable, try it. If you're not sure, you should have a back-up plan.

a037422944

HSC
Uni Grad

do they teach u the basics of commerce/economics? like absolute baby steps - basics??
dont know how absolutely basic youre talking... but you literally learn 'what is a business'. (speaking from my experience i dunno about other unis). the only thing you needed to know what basic maths (first derivative, simultaneous equations)...
i didnt do economics.. and i picked it up pretty easily.

i think no hsc social science --> b commerce would be easier than hsc math/science --> b science?

Mature Lamb

wats goin on
HSC
Uni Grad

I did all sciences in high school. I managed to HD 3 out of the 5 first year comm courses I did in first year (I got a distinction for Microeconomics which was a surprise, I was expecting higher and I only passed Actuarial Studies because I hated it so much).

HSC

Does anyone know how much overlap between Microeconomics/Macroeconomics in uni and year 11/12 economics?

cssftw

HSC

and what will happen if I end up hating commerce by the end of first year - can I enter into any other course from 2nd year? Or do i have to start a new course from 1st year?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

You have to start again from 1st year if the subjects you've done in Commerce bear no relevance to your new course. It's quite simple really- unlike high school where you progress year on year and become Year 2, Year 3, Year 4, etc, instead you have a long list of subjects which you must do a certain number of in order to be eligible to graduate with that degree. The concept of year really only is relevant when they try to tell you which order you should do those subjects in and what the difficulty is. You can be 25 and be a first year Commerce student for example.

Btw in terms of pre-requisites, in the past you needed to have done 2u maths because there is some quantitative stuff around statistics and calculus but it's nothing you can't pick up through additional practice/tutoring at uni if you really struggle.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)