net force on a satelite? (1 Viewer)

1800-gumby

HSC
is the net force acting on a satelite 0? I always thought it was cause the gravatational forces is equal to the centrifical (the reason why it stays in orbit) but in one of the papst papers I've done it says the net forces is towards the earth. I know that if its a LOE it will be experiencing slight friction and as such there will be a very slight decrease in centrifical force and it will eventualy come down but that seemed like to much for a multiple choice question. Or have i just got it all wrong?

boz

CEO
HSC
there is a force towards the earth ( gravitational attraction), but..... hmm youve got me there, i dont think the net force is zero as a net force of zero means staying still, and no longer accelerating (like sitting in a chair), a satellite however is always being acted on by the gravitational force with nothing countering it. So i think the net force is towards the earth.

Xayma

Lacking creativity
HSC
N/A
Centripetal force is the gravitational force. It's velocity means that as it falls the earth curves away at the same rate.

helper

HSC
N/A
The centripetal force is the net force not a pphysical push or pull. The centripetal force is always caused by something. In this case gravity.

boz

CEO
HSC
so what do you think xyma is the net force zero or equal to the gravitational force

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)