• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Never done BIO before. Really struggling in Microbiology and Physiology (1 Viewer)

deadbeat

HSC
Anyone else struggling with Microbiology and Physiology?

There are so many new terms to learn. And when they are explaining a concept they refer to another bio term to explain the current term. Its like reading in a foreign language.

For people who have never done biology in HS, what did u do to learn Bio?

I want more than just a pass. i actually want to learn/understand it, coz i need it for 2nd and 3rd years.

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
You should of done a biology bridging course if possible. Hmm, it's best to talk to your course advisor and they may provide you with consultation lessons, etc.

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
What I would suggest is actually purchase yourself a Biology dictionary. It was very helpful for me in first year.

Tim035

HSC
Your doing microbiology and physiology in first year?

boris

Banned
HSC
Tim035 said:
Your doing microbiology and physiology in first year?
I did two physiology subjects in first year, and a microbio subject?

As somebody suggested, a dictionary is good. The one I got was Mosby's Medical, Nursing & Allied Health Dictionary. It's huge but fantastic and I think I got a copy at Angus and Robertson cheaper than what the Coop was offering.

Tim035

HSC
boris said:
I did two physiology subjects in first year, and a microbio subject?

As somebody suggested, a dictionary is good. The one I got was Mosby's Medical, Nursing & Allied Health Dictionary. It's huge but fantastic and I think I got a copy at Angus and Robertson cheaper than what the Coop was offering.
Meant to quote the OP, meh. All I did in first year was two more general biology based courses. That tended to touch on a bit of everything biochem, microbiology, genetics etc.... Only have the option to do Phsyiology 1a and 1b and microbiology this year.

boris

Banned
HSC
oic, i was saying i did 2 phys subjects and 1 micro subject in first year

Bacilli

Hypocritical gump
HSC
N/A
Why jump into microbiology without first doing the HSC biology course, or at least the bridging course? This sort of situation reminds me of most of them failing UTS'neering fags who attempt engineering with only general math behind them.
As with engineering, biology only gets harder as you progress through the year.
If you're struggling to understand basic biological concepts such as diffusion gradients/osmosis well hmmz :read: Heinemann Biology 2nd edn incl. activity manual..

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
The Henderson's Dictionary of Biological Terms is good because its definitions are easy to understand.

rozymisty

HSC
Get flash cards and stuff like that if ur a visual learner or can do those sort of thing.

Definatly get the mosbys dictonary. Maybe even get one of those basic physiology books you see in librarys and bookshops with lots of illustrations. Great to know that Mosby's is cheaper at A&R, coz at my old bookshop, id be paying $80..hehe and i can claim it on my tax return and share it with my sister.

Definatly should have done a bridging course. I struggled with micro as well..just practice practice and more practice.

bubbly89

HSC
Before you go out and purchase a really expensive medical dictionary try using the online dictionaries, ie

put "define: "word" " into the google search and see all the definitions.

I've just had so many people tell me not to buy one of those ridiculously expensive dictionaries when its all online for free.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
study? and learn the meaning of the words... cos realli thats how u pick it up.. and no.. i find french harder to learn than bio..

boris

Banned
HSC
oh man
CSU has changed the Micro subject and streamlined it with the micro subject you would do in ag/animal science and made one big micro subject.

Whaaaaaaat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)