Never Used A Sewing Machine Before (1 Viewer)

faov

HSC
Hi :)

I really want to take Textiles, however I have never used a sewing machine before. My mom bought me one today, though. What type of sewing machine proficientcy should I have to take Textiles?

Thanks

HSC
Dont worry i'm doin xtiles atm, and i never done anything with a sewing machine before. i am coping just fine. my garments are more based on decoration but as long as you have a good teacher you shouuld be fine. Just try and know as much as you can in prelinarmy year.

good luck!

yosemite sam

HSC
hard work will get you anywhere. and if its a subject you really want to do, you should do it because youre more likely to enjoy it and want to do it than if you take a subject just cos its scales well or something. good luck!

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
Using a sewing machine is just practice. Get some scrap material at home and draw some lines with pencil. Then practice sewing over them. Practice pinning some material together, then tack alonbg the line you want to sew and then sew it (just 1mm or so inside the tacking so it is easier to get out).

Learn how to thread up your machine so it is not a barrier for you. Then learn what every knob and button does and try a few to see how they turn out. Try changing the tension and see what happens. Just try things. That is the only way to find out. You may break a needle or two, but they are easy to replace.

Just, whatever you do, don't sew your finger! OUCH!

Have fun. Textiles is a great subject. I took it to Year 10 when I was at school and had a ball. The trick to good textiles is precision.

faov

HSC
Thanks for your advice! I'm just worried because I was thinking of completing textiles through OTEN/correspondence so I won't have access to an instructor :( in real-life and my mom doesn't know how to use a sewing machine. But I'm not letting that be a barrier for me. Thanks again!!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)