New gpa style (1 Viewer)

Kutay

University
HSC
hey, i was wondering if this was true one of my lecturer;s said that starting 2006 that the new gpa style will be commencing, eg say if you got say 62 63 they give you a credit for making the gpa as so close to it, i am really interested in this as i want to transfer and also apply for a sporting scholarship.

prusso

HSC
yeah its true.

ill try and get an official document as soon as one appears lol

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
How does that work? If you get a credit, then isn't that because you deserved the credit and therefore the 3 for your gpa?
And what about the people who get 61 and just miss out on the conversion of a pass to a credit? How is that any different to people getting a 64 and just missing out on the credit?

edit: This is kind of funny after the last thread on falling uni standards. I'm sure most people want to get a mark for a maximum gpa. At most unis that would be a HD, but at mac we can be perfectly happy with a D of 75. Now that will be changed to being perfectly happy with a C of 74 or 73. Meh, as a student I guess I shouldn't be complaining if they want to make my gpa higher, I just don't understand it.

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
We haven't been told about it in any of my lectures?

boinkBOINK

hustler
HSC
N/A
i dont get it
what did i miss out on?
a 62 63 being a credit?
thats not close at all to 65

hello2004

If this is true then I'll be disgusted.

If you get a credit, then isn't that because you deserved the credit and therefore the 3 for your gpa?
Exactly! They group you into Cr/D/HD/P/F before they give you a mark. As I understand it, there is no such thing as an "almost Credit" which this system is trying to achieve.

Last edited by a moderator:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Sorry to doubt you guys, but I gotta see this in writing before I can even comprehend it :|

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
oh thank goodness... there's quite a few 73's that i've had in the past, does that mean they'll convert them?

prusso

HSC
if i can cut the mp3 file into a smaller bit from ilecture ill up it

if i remember correctly he said it was to be implemented next yr...

buddys

HSC
i know this may sound stupid

but

can someone please dumben (if thats even a word) this down for me so i can understand :eek:

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
buddys said:
i know this may sound stupid

but

can someone please dumben (if thats even a word) this down for me so i can understand :eek:
haha
you probably can't understand it because it is, simply, stupid
as an example, at the moment, if you do 2 subjects, and you get a mark of 74 (a credit, so a gpa of 3) for one of them and 76 (distinction, so a gpa of 4) for the other, your gpa will be 3.5
apparently, the new system is that since a 74 is almost a D, they'll count it as a D for gpa purposes, so you'll get 4 points for your gpa. therefore, your gpa with those 2 subjects would be 4.
i think that's more complicated than what is already written :S

i don't know what this will achieve anyway. the lowest possible mark considered for competitive entry courses will go up, transfer marks may go up. why not just give more people Cs or Ds to start with? the more i think about it the less likely i think it's true.

redruM

Breathe and Stop
HSC
I think is highly stupid. I am sure the uni can't be so stupid to implement such a system. If they are worried about the "amost got heaps of D's" effect, then use a WAM-ish system as well as the current GPA.

CrashOveride

HSC
D's having the same weight as HD's in the calculation of the GPA is the only fundamental flaw with the current GPA system.

Last edited:

Ktulu-Spiral

HSC
N/A
This is so fucking stupid.
Why should those who perform well have to suffer just so all the dumb shits at uni can feel better about themselves?

Evolution has been weeding out the weak and the dumb since life on earth began... and then comes along Macquarie University...
I know, that could be their new motto; instead of "Macquarie- Australia's innovative university," we could have "Macquarie- fighting back the progress of evolution!"

But on a serious note, this is undermining the whole basis of the marks/GPA system!

I bet an Actuarial student did this- you guys are always pulling bullshit numbers out of thin air and fucking around with them. Good one, losers. (Jokes)

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Woah. Made so many attempts at writing this response but it doesn't come out clearly. Essentially:

All it does is push the mean up, while the distribution stays the same. Thus, at the extreme, those people who DO (and should, under the current system) get a GPA of 4 are lumped together with those who should get less than 4, but creep into the 4 grading. So, suddenly, those smarty pants who ARE smart enough to get good marks don't get the credit that's deserved.

In economics this sorta thing's called bracket creep... or inflation (both linked and similar). When's it stop? 10 years time, they'll move the margin from a credit from 63 or 62 or whatever they're proposing to 61 or 60.. Suddenly you'll be able to get 45 and still pass...

(Apologies to the unquoted parties who've said very similar things. Just thought I'd repeat and add my own take on it ;))

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
Ktulu-Spiral said:
This is so fucking stupid.
Why should those who perform well have to suffer just so all the dumb shits at uni can feel better about themselves?
...beat me to it. by 12 mins. Damned attempts at redrafting (clearly I'm not a HD student if I can't string together a short forum post in 12 mins! :D)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)