New Honda Civic (1 Viewer)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Haha did you guys try using the Sport mode or something? When I was trying it out, I drove around the back streets in Cheltenham/Beecroft and it helped hold the gears longer so it wouldn't keep changing; but it still ... wasn't too good. Gotta admit, (from memory), the automatic transmission module looked quite nice. Wasn't too much of a fan for the flimsy and untactile (not sure if that's a word) knobs/buttons/etc...

channon

HSC
N/A
Hey guys!

bought a new civic vti auto in silver moss for 25200 2 weeks ago
with tints/mats/exhaust tip
dealer said the car shd arrive end of june
good deal?

tell me how much you guys got ur civic for and hows the drive for those who got the car? any dramas?:bomb:

Jiga

but I do notice (after driving it a lot more) that there's very little (if any) power from standstill (<1.5k rpm), but if you put your foot down above 3k, the car really dashes. Don't think that's what you meant Ciel, but it's the only possible irregularity with the transmission (it reminds me a bit of a turbocharger where power kicks in at a certain RPM; and it's very sudden).
I think thats prity normal for most cars.... I notice in my car when I floor it and it gets closer to peak torque and power there is abit of a surge. However Im sure the effects of this are abit more pronounded with VTEC or whatever because its designed to provide fuel efficiency at low RPM (so its slow to take off and doesnt rev to high) and better performance at high RPM (so it gives the effect of a surge)

Last edited by a moderator:

Jiga

Are you referring to me as well?

What I described is prity much what they illustrate...... in the case of my car peak power and torque is around the 4000RPM mark..... so up to that mark Im getting increasing power etc as it gets closer to peak and past it, it levels off. Thats how I interpreted it at least :uhoh:

Last edited by a moderator:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
I've seen dyno curves... but just trying to explain how it feels different in this car compared to other cars I've driven. I'd compare it to my sister's Terios- but that doesn't even have a tacho!

channon
As for the Civic VTi for $25k- not bad if that's drive-away. I wonder how much the exhaust tip is worth- I was going to get mine, but I'm ordering in a bolt on exhaust so no point.

Mine was $30k driveaway for VTi-L Black auto, less than 1 week after launch so no discount, got spoiler too with 5 year warranty + RA. The car is really good now that it's run-in. For an automatic, it feels fantastic to drive. Acceleration has improved alot now; and I sometimes start off in 1st or 2nd (as in- not in D3/D) and that makes it heaps responsive. Wastes alot of fuel though.

Last edited:

channon

HSC
N/A
the guy said the exhaust tip was $90 i dont know if its rrp or cost price but i think its rrp coz the metal would only cost them like $20 or sth
btw when i tested the civic after turning acceleration was slow.....
is that the case with your car or was it because the car i tested had been trashed before? (the dealer told us that we could go alone to test it):rofl:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Well I grew up learning on a Terios so anything beats that :p ... but over time, the Civic has gotten alot better; but then so has my confidence? In the Terios, I would have to let go off the accelerator and tap the brakes on a lot of corners in my area (Hills district) but now I find myself accelerating through them as well.

... and I think I drive my Civic pretty hard sometimes; but then, that's 'coz it's run-in now. Although when I first got it I used to force the auto to redline :)

As for exhaust tip- that sounds about right. My spoiler RRP'd for around $700 but then because we bought it with the car (with no discount) he put it in for $500.

Drjohn

HSC
do you have no idea what you could buy with 30K?? since i had to buy a car 100% with my own hard earned cash, i really put effort into looking around for cars, i bought an XY GT falcon with a 351 in it for $4500... after replacement heads and intake, plus a whole bottom end recondition costing about 1500-2000 i have a peice of history wich is completely reliable and can do a quarter mile in 12...
and if anything shall go wrong it will cost me a tenth of what it would cost to fix the civic.. if i had a little extra lying around id get it completely reapholstered and suspension tightened and have a perfect car for under 10k... nothing like an aussie car!
oh and in a couple of months its resale value will be more than the civic...

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Drjohn said:
do you have no idea what you could buy with 30K?? since i had to buy a car 100% with my own hard earned cash, i really put effort into looking around for cars, i bought an XY GT falcon with a 351 in it for $4500... after replacement heads and intake, plus a whole bottom end recondition costing about 1500-2000 i have a peice of history wich is completely reliable and can do a quarter mile in 12...
and if anything shall go wrong it will cost me a tenth of what it would cost to fix the civic.. if i had a little extra lying around id get it completely reapholstered and suspension tightened and have a perfect car for under 10k... nothing like an aussie car!
oh and in a couple of months its resale value will be more than the civic...
1. Good for you
2. Different people have different ideas on what they want in a car; or even what country.
3. My car is my car.
4. Good on you for getting a job.
4a. Good on you for also using your own money.
5. Not everyone has the time/effort to fix up a car.
5a. Not everyone wants to fix up a car.
6. Performance isn't everything- and a quarter mile in 12secs is pretty impressive for a cheap car.
6a. My cousin's 300zx takes a shade over 11secs and has had a considerable amount of investment in it so if you can get yours in under 12 without that much capital- it's impressive..
7. Somehow I doubt your resale value claim; but hey, market prices fluctuate.

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
i bought an XY GT falcon with a 351 in it for $4500...
An XY GT for $4500?! You mean a fake - a replica? If so, the resale value is not going to do you any wonders.

can do a quarter mile in 12...
I'm sorry mate, but I'm going to have to call you on that one. 12s sounds a little far-fetched. A standard GTHO Phase III does it in over 14. A Phase III is 390hp, in comparison to the 300hp GT. Considering the above isn't a true GT, it becomes harder and harder to believe. Maybe if you have a track print out?

petar13

Tanzkommandant
HSC
N/A
He said that he had already reconditioned it. 12 seconds is freaking unbelievable. Not one of the current HSV models (rated at 300kW) can manage the 1/4mile in under 13.3 seconds. (Mercedes SL55AMG does it in 13 flat). The V12 Lamborghini Murcielago does it in just under 12.

No intake+head renewal and bottom end freshen on such an ancient motor can achieve that. Serious mods are required. Like I said - track printout, or BS.

Last edited:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Drjohn said:
after replacement heads and intake, plus a whole bottom end recondition costing about 1500-2000 i have a peice of history wich is completely reliable and can do a quarter mile in 12...
I think it is ambiguous... whilst it sounds more like he has done it rather than not, conservatism (the approach I take) makes it sound like it hadn't happened yet. *shrugs* Wait and see.

... and yes I also find doubt in the <12sec claim.

EDIT: After talking to my cousin about his fairlady, it was dyno'd at 551kW (501 at the wheels) and that can only do it in 11 and a bit. Considering it's ultra lightweight (fully stripped and weight reduced); somehow the 12sec claim of a heavy <$10k Ford seems even more unrealistic.

Last edited:

Drjohn

HSC
your correct seremify, its an ongoing project so even though i havent taken it to the drags i know it would be nowhere near the 12s, but for all you non believers out there go to the off street drags at eastern creek and ask the green gt what he has under his hood and what times its breaking, its in the 12s and its only got steel 2v heads and some new valves ect + extractors.. with some ported alloys and solid cams ect youd be hoping to get the 12's or ask for your money back...

yeah the time for doing it up is hard to find since im doing my hsc this year but ill have it for years to come.

im not saying that my car is for everyone, hell no, it handles like a truck, and it guzzles fuel. what im saying is that you can find a nieche car for your needs in a second hand car, or even buy a perfectly good second hand car and completely replace the engine, transmission ect and still come out with thousands to spare..
i think i like to look at cars as assets rather then expenses. but hey i spose someone has to buy the cars in the first place hey?

supercharged

HSC
N/A
WTF A STREET LEGAL 12 SEC CAR FOR UNDER 10K? Unless its on a steep downhill slope with a speeding cement truck slamming you up the rear on green, that's pure BS.

Anyways drag racing is pretty boring to me, i want a car which is nimble and handles like a demon. Stig's laptimes on that BBC Top Gear tv show is a much better indicator of overall performance of a car than a straight line 400m drag.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Drjohn said:
i think i like to look at cars as assets rather then expenses. but hey i spose someone has to buy the cars in the first place hey?
That's one way of looking at them. The other is it's an asset where despite betterments rather than expenses (ie. upgrades rather than maintenance/repairs), the value of the asset still depreciates over time.

supercharged said:
WTF A STREET LEGAL 12 SEC CAR FOR UNDER 10K? Unless its on a steep downhill slope with a speeding cement truck slamming you up the rear on green, that's pure BS.

Anyways drag racing is pretty boring to me, i want a car which is nimble and handles like a demon. Stig's laptimes on that BBC Top Gear tv show is a much better indicator of overall performance of a car than a straight line 400m drag.
Agreed. But then, a 400m drag is exactly that. The people who take it seriously know that they have cars which are pretty much useless in any other driving (eg. normal) when they lack power steering, air cond, seats, etc... and I'm saying this after having to sit in my cousin's Fairlady. It's a shocker.

CieL

HSC
Have you had any troubles with the 8th gen Civic?

Parents are considering getting a Vti-L... or maybe another Euro (since we can get it for ~2k less than usual)

But the bloody problem is - I don't think they have stock (of the Civic) until a few months away...

Wouldnt mind hearing a few feedbacks, or feedbacks for other mid-sized cars around the $30k driveaway pricerange

gna

HSC
No, because it's a Toyota...

Accord Euro, go for it!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)