New Honda Civic (1 Viewer)

CieL

HSC
We already have an Accord Euro.... lol....

Anyways, I test drove the new Civic yesterday... *disappointed* It was one of those dealerships that just let you take the car without a salesperson, so I had a chance to thrash the car a little bit...... if only it would let me thrash it =[

I'm sure that the parts are pretty much broken in since it's done close to 5000kms already... but I dont understand why the engine isnt rev-happy... it took quite a bit to just get to 4000rpm... whereas the Euro is happy to go to 5000rpm anywhere anytime...

The steering is also too light and you dont even feel in control of the car... I've compared it to the old broken Daytona machines on George St Galaxyworld... where you can drive with only one finger on the wheel...

Besides that, the car itself is reasonably comfortable... and the complete package is about 230497386784971340918252439673-0824752938749382759485793846093 times better than the Ford Focus (which was a total waste of time to even test drive)...

But next week, shall be trying the new Accord... it looks pretty sexy, but I need to see it up close and try it lol...

The reason we don't want another Euro is that it seems weird owning two of the same cars?

CieL

HSC
gna said:
No, because it's a Toyota...
That was the exact thing that went through my head when I read lengy's post BWAHAHHAHA

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
CieL said:
But next week, shall be trying the new Accord... it looks pretty sexy, but I need to see it up close and try it lol...
New accord? The Accord Seppo is the same as the old one except it has new tail lights.

CieL

HSC
wheredanton said:
New accord? The Accord Seppo is the same as the old one except it has new tail lights.
Nah, it went from having the same power as a CRV (118kw) to 125kw lololol.. that's the 2.4L version tho

wheredanton

Retired
HSC
CieL said:
Nah, it went from having the same power as a CRV (118kw) to 125kw lololol.. that's the 2.4L version tho
wow...7kw...ill bet you will feel the difference :rolleyes:

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Once the Civic is run in.. i've come to realise that the engine doesn't rev very highly unless you floor it and even then, it requires quite a bit of time. Not sure if that's a good or a bad thing.

Btw which model were you test driving Ciel? FD1 (1.8L) or FD2 (2.0L)? For the price of the new Accord, you'd be easily able to get the FD2 with extras... I'm also curious if you were driving manual/auto?

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
CieL said:
Have you had any troubles with the 8th gen Civic?

Parents are considering getting a Vti-L... or maybe another Euro (since we can get it for ~2k less than usual)

But the bloody problem is - I don't think they have stock (of the Civic) until a few months away...

Wouldnt mind hearing a few feedbacks, or feedbacks for other mid-sized cars around the $30k driveaway pricerange
In all honesty, there have been a few issues... but I suspect they are largely attributable to my modifications along the way.

Passenger window didn't stay in the groove and pops out when using electric windows... either it was the tinting guy who didn't put it back, or the sound system installers who didn't put it in. Either way, my car is due for 6mth service in a week or so and I'll just ask them to fix it.

As for the car itself... as you noticed, it isn't very rev-happy. I think that must be a characteristic of the new engine, but once it's run-in, it becomes very sedate and well... suitable for a family I'd say. For the most part it's sufficient, and if the car is already moving, then overtaking isn't a concern- it's the from standstill flooring which is very disappointing. Not sure about the FD2, but I heard it's considerably better with much more torque down there.

VTi-L is a good car, but like I said, in hindsight, for only $5k more, you get the FD2 which I think has alot better value provided you want the leather, sunroof, fog lights, etc... on top of the meatier engine. The only reasons I'd recommend the VTi-L was if you wanted a 6 stacker CD with steering wheel controls (ie. not planning to change to aftermarket dash and HU), cbf to change the wheels but wanted something a bit better looking than the VTi's covers, and that climate control was important (I have to admit, the electronic one in the base VTi isn't bad- but for some reason, I found it a bit hard to use at first in my mate's VTi).

As for Civic stock... wouldn't have a clue. But there's quite a lot of them on the roads nowadays. IIRC, it's the 5th best selling car this year (according to SMH Drive last Friday).

lengy

HSC
What's wrong with the Ford Focus? More importantly what's wrong with Toyotas?! :mad: I actually want to get the exact same Toyota Camry as our family has now but in a different colour but I think that'd still be out of my price range. The Honda Accord Euro has a decent front but a not so decent backside. What is it with Honda and ugly rears? The Honda Jazz was okay but the facelift has screwed up the tail lights, same with the Honda Accord. Haven't decided whether the change in the Odyssey is good or bad yet.

CieL

HSC
wheredanton said:
wow...7kw...ill bet you will feel the difference :rolleyes:
I was just clarifying things since you said it was the "same" besides the tail-lights, and I'm just pointing out that it's had another minor mod... It's funny how when the Accord goes up 7kw no-one cares, but when the difference between the Type R and Type S is 7kw, everyone (at least the majority) goes nuts...

Seremify:
I test drove the 1.8L Vti-L (auto) since that's the one we'll be getting if it was good... there's no point driving the Sport version if I'm not planning to buy it lol... and no, there is a marginal price difference... we can get the Euro for about $32-33k, whereas the Civic sport would set us back around $36k... so I guess you could say the Euro is more value for money? Heh...

Lengy:
The Ford Focus? Um... everything?

I test drove the LX which isnt even bottom of the range... Before I got to drive it, the salesperson drove to a more quiet area... and I was at the back seat... My mum hopped in the left door, trying to get to the right side... and her feet got stuck due to the minimal leg room available, and bear in mind she's petite... I got in after her, and realised the material on the seats actually felt like sandpaper! Asked my dad who was in the passenger seat to force himself forward cos my legs were diagonal (I'm 5'7 btw)... Neways, I tried to find a comfortable seating position, and put my head back only for the back of my head to hit something that felt like a rock, that was meant to be a headrest...

When it was my turn to test the car, my first touch of the gearknob - very cheap plastic... even the toys from mcdonalds happy meal was made with better quality plastic... Same with the indicators and wipers, the indicators were bigger than my toe... I guess it's just a preference thing, but to me, it's not very practical...

As for performance, this car does jackall with a 107kw 2.0L engine... even the 1.8L civic went faster than this trash... TWICE at the lights on flat ground (and rain), this car lost traction on me at 1500rpm... I was like, "whoaa traction is bad", and the salesperson was like, "it's just the weather conditions"... like, no shit? But even if it was wet the tyres arent meant to feel like they're completely bald? 1500rpm wasn't even enough to get me to 5km/hr and the car was already happily slipping and sliding away, I'd rather walk since it's safer and I can walk faster than 5kmh too =.=

I also got to test it on the m4... you have no idea how much the car was struggling to get from 50-90kmh downhill... I'm not sure which entrance this was on, but the ramp was fkn long... and it was only by the time I hit the main traffic that I just got to 90kmh... It felt like the car was going to die, and it was really tedious watching the speedo...

Also, the brakes... I think it's a Ford fault, but they did it really bad on the Focus... the brakes never stop creaking, and besides that, they are really unresponsive... about the first inch, they brake doesn't respond... then you have to extend your whole leg before the car starts to stop and you get scared that the brake pedal is going to snap off it's cheap plastic... Everytime you step on, or let go of the brakes they protest a "EEEK"... and once AGAIN, the salesperson blames this on the rain... I just politely said, "oh, really?" and silently thought why all the other cars I've driven in rain, hail, or shine didnt have brakes that sounded like you were creeping around wooden stairs late at night... That quirk I've notice was occasionally in the Falcon that I drove awhile back...

These are just the main things I didnt like about the car... I don't understand how they won the under $28500 mid sized car award, nor how they got Jackie O to do their advertising....

The Focus is just a piece of turd that has been stepped on.

lengy

HSC
Wow, that was a shock, I didn't think it was that bad considering the reviews. =\

slickstar_01

Banned
HSC
look i dont really care about this honda civic shit but lets get this straight. the only care that is in my eyes and should be in yours is the FORD FPV GT-P. sounds good huh?:D:D yeah it is... more powerful then u think. its has a 290KW power engine and is a 5.4L V8. its a beuty.

and i want to get this straight. NO HOLDEN NOR A PORCHE WILL BEAT THIS CAR. ITS TOOOOO POWERFUL>........ oh BTW...HOLDENS ARE SHIT.... they only look good coz of Peter Brock... now that he is gone to support the car.only time will tell well all holden supporters convert to ford...(H):D:D:D:D

the one and only

LC[k]_t[A][r]

supercharged

HSC
N/A
slickstar_01 said:
look i dont really care about this honda civic shit but lets get this straight. the only care that is in my eyes and should be in yours is the FORD FPV GT-P. sounds good huh?:D:D yeah it is... more powerful then u think. its has a 290KW power engine and is a 5.4L V8. its a beuty.

LC[k]_t[A][r]

FPV Typhoon is much faster, has better handling and is easier to mod....just add more boost :ninja:

Last edited:

lengy

HSC
I hate fanboys who wont admit to their dream car's faults. The FPV F6 is definately the better car.

CieL

HSC
lengy said:
Wow, that was a shock, I didn't think it was that bad considering the reviews. =\
Yeah, I just browsed the reviews about the civic and the focus... I realised it pretty much says the same thing that I mentioned, cept I actually listed all the bad areas...

I can't believe they rated the Focus 4 stars and the Civic with 3 stars... like wtf? Seems pretty inconsistent with the fact that there are more Civics than Focuses on the road... like, WAY MORE... as in, there's no Civic to buy until Dec/Jan!!! *CRIES* Well, there is a dark silver one, but I dont want dark silver lol...

lengy

HSC
Really? I see alot of Focus' around and a reasonable amount of the new Civics.

CieL

HSC
I hardly see any Focuses around... prolly one in a blue moon...

I don't understand why people would waste their money to buy that car when there are so many other options available... cheaper ones too...

I mean, exterior-wise it looks pretty good... but I'm not spending $30k just for a nice shell =S

lengy

HSC
Hard pick really, I feel that the car market is at saturation point. I'm not going to say a harsh word about a car unless I drive it, so looks are all I've got to comment on and reviews to base the cars on.

Shimian

HSC
I have a honda civic sport, silver moss with the following accessories: full body kit, nterior trim, accent lighting set, side step garnish and original reverse sensors (4x). I tinted my windows with tint professor. The car looks HOT. Future mods will be to lower it with some 18" rims.

Everyone is talking about performance, comparing with other car makes. To be honest, for me, performance is not everything. The car is no ferarri, but when you need the power, it will deliver. I have been searching for a car and none appealed to me except for the civic. Dont be fooled by the honda website, you must see the car in person. For example, the brochures or the website shows the blue leather seats. When i first saw it, i thought ... vomit ...after seeing it in person, i was gobsmacked.

People are debating whether to get the VTI, VTI-L or SPORTS model. My opinion is this, the price difference between each of these are approx $5,000. VTI is a waste of money unless its for your folks. As mentioned, the VTI-L and SPORT is $5,000 difference. For $5,000 you get, 2.0L DOHC engine, leather seats, sunroof, indicators on the side mirrors (makes your car look so much better and also for safety reasons), 16" alloys, extra air bags, fog lights and paddle shift (more of a novelty). Did I miss anything? Anyways, what made me decide to go sport is the leather seats. I sat in the cloth then leather and instantly, the cloth put me off. It felt like sitting on tram seats, for those who are from Victoria. The leather seats are not top of the line, but they are very good. Secondly, the sunroof is great. To install an aftermarket sunroof, it will cost approx $5,000. And it will probably squeak and leak later on. Fog lights are great, for really dark roads or carparks. I know they are for seeing better in the fog, but if anyone has every used them in those areas, you see much better. Cost of foglights at Honda, around $550. Just these features made my choice easy.

Interior:
- The interior was one of the reasons that caught my eye. It was above all the other cars. It is very roomy. Im about 5'11 and the back passenger has ample room. And I dont sit like a grandma. I like my seat well back.
- There are so many compartments which I cannot fill up. I have all sorts of things like tissue box, baby wipes, money box and still I have atleast 50% storage space left over.
- The air con/heater console is very well designed. Everything is digitized. You adjust the the fan speed and the temperature all with small increments.
- No need to talk about the digital speedo. Its just amazing.
- The steering wheel is small in diametre with controls (audio and cruise control). It makes your driving so sweet.
- Audio system is great and simple. If you are into your subs/amps, then the stock system will probably be insufficient. But for myself, I played all types of music, from dance to rap, the bass/sound is very acceptable.

Exterior:
- The short front look took my breath away. The space saved from the short bonnet is utilized in the interior space.
- The car looks very plain without the full body kit. But not everyone can afford the full body kit. Atleast get the rear spoiler.
- The side mirrors are huge. Not huge so it looks like Dumbo, huge as in you can see things in a wider view. There is also no blind spot when using the mirrors, but always do a head check.
- The front windscreen is wider so you can see more.
- Windscreen wipers cover more area.

My criticism of the SPORT:
- The centre back seat does not come down to give an arm rest. I think the Malaysian model has it, but not the Thailand version which Australia gets. This would enhance the cars interior appearance and more comfy for your passengers.
- The boot does not open when you unlock your car with central locking. To open it, you need to use the key physically or use the latch in the car. This is annoying if you are coming back to your car with some shopping. Also, you are likely to scratch your car with your other keys attached when opening the boot.
- Does not have the litres/km reading. I was told that its not very accurate, but its good to have.
- I dont like how the back seats are folded down using the levers in the boot. It looks cheap.

Why did i not buy an Accord or Accord Euro. Some of the reasons are, the looks of the car, it looks ordinary. Other reasons include, its much more expensive, interior looks ordinary and a much bigger car. In my opinion, the price for the Civic SPORT is reasonable. I wouldnt mind getting it for a few thousand dollars cheaper :)

Well, its not a very good review but hopefully it might help some people. Feel free to ask any questions with any specific aspect. I can explain things in more detail.

Last edited:

CieL

HSC
Well, have to admit that's not helpful in my case since I'm only planning to get the vti-L which is pretty much totally different compared to the Sport performance wise... not to mention the price...

Anyways, we ordered a Civic Vti-L yesterday... now I'm just wondering how long the wait is before we actually get the car =S

Shimian

HSC
Apparently I was told by people its 3 months waiting list. But that was for the VTI, so im not sure how long for VTI-L. I was lucky and received mine within 3 weeks from purchase date. Didnt the dealer tell you when it would arrive? Or atleast give you an estimate.
You will not be disappointed with the car, im sure you would have test driven it. But if I were you, i would save up another $5,000 and get the sport. But then again, not everyone can afford it. As for myself, after purchasing this car, im living on baked beans and bread.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)