New HSC Syllabuses Released Today (1 Viewer)

OkDen

HSC
Uni Grad
The year 12 common module areas of study — including Journeys, Discovery, Belonging — are scrapped
BAHAHHAHAH

Advanced mathematics:

Extension of current syllabus to incorporate more complex concepts
New topic: Financial Mathematics
Statistical analysis now introduced at advanced level as well as extension 1

Extension:

New topic of vectors has been added, providing stronger links to engineering and other STEM-related concepts
New topic of combinatorics

Extension 2:

New topics: more advanced studies in vectors and proof
The topic circular motion has been removed and replaced by enhanced calculus content
Study of complex numbers including Euler's formula
* The new syllabus will be rolled out in 2018

:pain: :vcross::newburn::chainsaw::jawdrop::jawdrop:

READ MORE @: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-21/what-are-the-changes-to-the-nsw-hsc-year-12-syllabus/8288090

Last edited:

omegadot

HSC
N/A
Overall the Mathematics Advanced and Extension 1 and 2 syllabuses seem pretty disappointing. Matrices and determinants, which was slatted for inclusion in 2 Unit, seems to have been entirely removed, and the so-called "Advanced Calculus Skills" in 4 Unit is a very weak imitation of the current integration topic. Partial fractions and integration by parts is all that remains. No recurrence formulae which I would have thought would have fitted nicely into the Boards - sorry NESA which seems to be a nice take on NASA - claim of more depth in these new syllabuses. So forget anything like the proofs for either Basel's formula or the irrationality of pi and e popping up as nice Question 16 type questions in the HSC Exam.

myopic_owl22

HSC
The ABC breaks the new changes down quite well.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-21/nsw-hsc-syllabus-gets-radical-overhaul-year-12-teaching-changes/8288000

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-02-21/what-are-the-changes-to-the-nsw-hsc-year-12-syllabus/8288090

NESA is going to redesign all the questions as well, so rip past papers as well I guess :)
At least there'll be capped assignments and specified weightings for assessments.
PUMPED for the new science courses! (although they haven't given out syllabi for the rumored extensions)

EDIT: NESA has released a draft extension science syllabus for consultation.
https://educationstandards.nsw.edu.au/wps/wcm/connect/5a2b76d5-439e-4d49-9ff2-454af0b9fc03/science-ext-st6-draft-syllabus.pdf?MOD=AJPERES&CVID=

It looks like the whole course is a massive IRP and all the social and historical aspects of science that's been kicked out of the new core syllabi.

Last edited:

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
I'm actually glad they removed matrices because it looked so random and out of place in a calculus based course.

boredofstudiesuser1

HSC
So what happens if I repeat year 12 considering I'm in the last cohort to have the current syllabus. DO I have to learn all the content from the new one?

donkily

HSC
N/A
So what happens if I repeat year 12 considering I'm in the last cohort to have the current syllabus. DO I have to learn all the content from the new one?
by the looks of it yes but no HSC student would recommend you do that

BlueGas

HSC
N/A
Looking forward to the changes in chemistry. It'll actually force students to understand the concepts rather than just rely on rote.

Also, the organic chemistry module looks so good, it's exactly what you learn in uni.

donkily

HSC
N/A
What if you're starting year 11 next year but you have some accelerated subjects?
i think you still do it and then they take it as a equivalent or something and try estimating your mark by looking at your mark of the accelerated subject. that's what i'm guessing

try looking at hsc and vce counterparts

omegadot

HSC
N/A
Looking forward to the changes in chemistry. It'll actually force students to understand the concepts rather than just rely on rote.

Also, the organic chemistry module looks so good, it's exactly what you learn in uni.
Couldn't agree more. The new HSC physics and chemistry syllabuses are to be highly commended. Compared to the past 16 years of misery that has been intentionally inflicted on the students of NSW it makes for a long overdue change back to the sensible. Those who actually wish to study physics or chemistry at HSC level will now actually get the opportunity to study these subjects rather than their "context."

omegadot

HSC
N/A
rip tutoring centres
Hardly, there is simply too much money at stake. Just wait and see. The first foolish author/publisher to bring their text to market will have their material ruthlessly and unashamedly pillaged!

tywebb

dangerman
HSC
N/A
forget anything like the proofs for either Basel's formula or the irrationality of pi and e popping up as nice Question 16 type questions in the HSC Exam.
One thing which distinguishes NSW exams from those in other states is that there are many examples in NSW of questions combining several topics together and relationships between them to achieve results like the ones you mentioned. This seems to be largely absent in other states exams.

For this aspect of mathematics to be absent has been described by a former member of the HSC exam committee as "like a literature course without poetry".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)