new imac (1 Viewer)

Ziff

HSC
N/A
jm1234567890 said:
macs are great, but they are just too expensive...

I wouuld much rather a mac if i could afford one + all the software
You could always buy a Mac, get ADSL and go nuts on something like mactorrents or something :p

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
The Mac comes with a heap of software, you can get away with buying NOTHING ...

@ redsalert:
Too newbie? How so? I have an easy to use GUI (for noobs), extended with developer tools and AppleScripts (for moderate users), and then instant access to the UNIX core (for hardcore power users like me!)

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
I have an easy to use GUI (for noobs) <----- that's exactly what i'm talking about
everything is put in pretty colours and pictures, too much useless junk
i just want something that works and works well without being bloated

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
What exactly is bloated about MacOSX?

I'll give you one example. In Windows my apps will have about a thousand useless files assiosated with them, all taking up ridiculas folders. In MacOSX applications are found under 1 ICON. There are no thosand support files (or rather they are nicely hidden).

Following from that we have the start bar. The Windows start bar is hideously bloated with readme files, unistallers and other useless programs. It's a bitch to find anything.
The dock on MacOSX is clean and simple. If I need to put something in drag it, drag it off. Unitstall? Just drag ONE icon to the trash. I'm done! So much cleaner ...

EDIT: Have you actually used MacOSX?

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
McLake said:

I'll give you one example. In Windows my apps will have about a thousand useless files assiosated with them, all taking up ridiculas folders. In MacOSX applications are found under 1 ICON. There are no thosand support files (or rather they are nicely hidden).

Following from that we have the start bar. The Windows start bar is hideously bloated with readme files, unistallers and other useless programs. It's a bitch to find anything.
The dock on MacOSX is clean and simple. If I need to put something in drag it, drag it off. Unitstall? Just drag ONE icon to the trash. I'm done! So much cleaner ...

I don't like the one icon thing

iambored

dum-di-dum
HSC
*awe* great computer

macs have been said to be easier to use, but since i don't use them and i find my current computer easy to use i can't be stuffed to learn how to use something new.

santaslayer

HSC
jm1234567890 said:
that is $US santa....

LoLz. I knew that. :p
My comment still stands....:uhhuh: :p :uhhuh:...ahahaha

Mc Lake.

My university has both Macz and Win PC's, I've use both and I dunno, I just seem to dislike Macz interface? I also hate the one button mouses Macz provide. What do I do when I'm playing CS if I want to change weapons, jump...etc.?? :confused:
I'm also very used to the right hand click buttons for other options/features Microsoft provides....

I must admit that Macz look very impressive though....:uhhuh:

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
jm1234567890 said:
I don't like the one icon thing
Why?

santaslayer said:
Mc Lake.

My university has both Macz and Win PC's, I've use both and I dunno, I just seem to dislike Macz interface? I also hate the one button mouses Macz provide. What do I do when I'm playing CS if I want to change weapons, jump...etc.?? :confused:
I'm also very used to the right hand click buttons for other options/features Microsoft provides....

I must admit that Macz look very impressive though....:uhhuh:
Right hand click is still there, it just requires the keyboard. That is maybe a slight downfall, but you can always plug a two button mouse in if you wan't (they ARE supported). Ans yes, the problem is that you are used to Microsoft, whereas using the Mac the options are more cleanly arranged (in my opinion).

jm1234567890

Premium Member
HSC
McLake said:
no advantage of one icon since a shortcut is basicly one icon linked to a folder of stuff.

on icon just makes it harder to access the internal files. (not sure about mac osx in this regard, but for OS9 and below i didn't like it)

santaslayer

HSC
McLake said:
Why?

Right hand click is still there, it just requires the keyboard. That is maybe a slight downfall, but you can always plug a two button mouse in if you wan't (they ARE supported). Ans yes, the problem is that you are used to Microsoft, whereas using the Mac the options are more cleanly arranged (in my opinion).
It all comes down to what one is used to. You work most efficently when you are most comfortable and familiar with stuff. I get a few hours break here and there at uni, I might play around with the phat macz. :)

kewpid

HSC
jm1234567890 said:
no advantage of one icon since a shortcut is basicly one icon linked to a folder of stuff.
The advantage is that to uninstall you just drag it to the trash, and that's all, it's uninstalled.

jm1234567890 said:
on icon just makes it harder to access the internal files. (not sure about mac osx in this regard, but for OS9 and below i didn't like it)
You right click the application icon and choose "show package contents". Nothing hard about it... except that there's nothing in there that you really need to touch :)

Last edited:

santaslayer

HSC
hmmm..yeah that's advantageous, yes, but how many time do you uninstall stuff anyway? I usually install things I would find useful....old games for sure, but what else?

redslert

yes, my actual brain
HSC
McLake said:

lol not going to argue with you McLake
since you are such as big Mac lover

yes i have used a Mac with OSX it's nice and clean but i guess it's not for me
refering to your windows start bar arguement, yes i hate it too that's why i have tweak programs to get rid of all the junk and customise it to my liking

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)