"New" new HSC (1 Viewer)

spice girl

magic mirror
I want to suggest a few more electives for a "new" new HSC chemistry. Just to make it more "relevant" than ever to society:

1. Terror and Terrorists:
Discuss properties must chemicals have to be used as explosives.
Identify chemical tests to qualitatively determine the type of explosive.
Assess the social and environmental impacts of the invention of explosives such as gunpowder, TNT, and C4.

2. Weapons of mass destruction:
Identify that many chemicals can have potent effects on the human body.
Explain how a nerve agent works.
Assess current developments in behaviour-altering substances, and their potential in resolving violent conflicts.
Discuss how some chemicals have been used for medicinal purposes, referring to sedatives and anaesthetics.

3. Chemistry and Education:
Evaluate how learning chemistry can benifit society.
Evaluate the importance of chemistry to high school education.
Discuss how a better understanding of chemicals in the household and industry can improve one's awareness to safety.
Assess the importance of an awareness to environmental protection.
Explain the need for more government funding to train better chemistry teachers.

linta

I have to say I particularly agree with the last point... someone should really research that...:rolleyes:

kini mini

HSC
LOL!

Did you read what those stupid teachers said in the SMH said about chem today too? I'm going to write a letter to the editor about it, I reckon you've got the material for Monday's Heckler there :).

Overshoot

1 & 2: The last thing the BOS want to do is potentially train thousands of little Osamas (and a few nuts who actually try to implement it). I can see that you're not talking about getting into that sort of detail, but it would be necessary to give the elective the necessary substance. The 3rd one sounds good however. ;) (PS: I am in year 11 this year and will do the Chem next year. I'm looking around on this site because I accelerated Geography). :)

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
I think we need to fit some history in to make it look similar to the chemistry syylabus... (assuming it's not cut from the new syllabus ar anything):

For 1:
- Recount past terrorist operations using various explosives.
- Explain, using examples, how a successful bombing operation is achieved and assess their effectiveness.
-Critically analyse the government's devoted attention on the issue of terrorism.

For 2:
- Identify various "substances" that have been developed by the american government during he Cold war.
- Assess these "substances" in terms of their effectiveness and practicality, with references to their properties.
- Analyse recent UN resolutions on these "substances", and contrast the responses from these countries with the US:
- Afghanistan
- France
- Iraq
- Israel
- Nort Korea
- Russia
and any other country of your choice.

For 3:
- Gather first or second hand data and process information from various sources to identify methods that can be undertaken to help this cause. ;)

New Option:
Biochemical Warfare:
- Define 'biochemical weapons'
- Recount the history of biochem warfare, and assess the US govt.'s history of its development.
- Assess the effectiveness of successive biochemical weapons, with reefernces to its properties and methods of dispersion.
- Discuss the death that have been caused by biochemical agents aand compare with the monthly road toll on US soil alone.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
- Plan, choose appropriate equipment, and preform a first hand investigation to demenstrate the effects of prolonged chemical warfare on the American stockmark.

- Gather information to discuss the likley outcome of conducting a war with a country that is found to have weapons of mass distruction.

- Critically analyse the steps taken in the "War on Terror" and define what is meant by the "Axis of Evil."

(Sorry if I was too politcal ...)

spice girl

magic mirror
Since they want to test language, they might as well mix chemistry with English:

* Discuss how your understanding of changing worlds, changing perspectives, or changing self, has improved from your studies on the abuse of chemicals in terrorist activities.

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
Originally posted by spice girl
Since they want to test language, they might as well mix chemistry with English:

* Discuss how your understanding of changing worlds, changing perspectives, or changing self, has improved from your studies on the abuse of chemicals in terrorist activities.
What kind of drugs could we have provided KING LEAR with to make him sane?

Do chemists TELL THE TRUTH?

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
What effect on your set text in POWERPLAY would nuclear weapons and other weapons of mass destruction have an effect on (don't do powerplay)?
Rosencrantz & Guildernstern ARE DEAD, thanks to a terrorist attack. Provide post mortem examinations and discuss how their deaths have come about (haven't heard of them much).
:p

McLake

The Perfect Nerd
HSC
- You work for the Russian Military and were invoved in the gasing of the theater. What ethical issues do you face deciding if you will tell the survivors what gas was used?

BlackJack

Vertigo!
HSC
- hint for Michale's dotpoint:
IF (big IF) they theorised that the hostages would not die because of the gaas being non-lethal under normal onditions (remember, its a form of marijuana I think), what more considerations must you face when telling the survivors this?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)