New Senior Mathematics (Fitzpatrick) - 24(c), question 19 (1 Viewer)

Delirium

HSC
How do I solve this question on the parametric equation of the parabola from the Fitzpatrick Mathematics Extension 1 book:

24(c): 19. The normals to the parabola x^2 = 4ay at the point P(2at, at^2) and Q(2as, as^2) meet at R. Find the co-ordinates of R in terms of t and s. If st = -2, find the cartesian equation of the locus of R.

The back of the book has the solution: x^2 = 4a(y - 4a) -- it has no solution in regards to the co-ordinates of R.

I have attempted this question, and the troublesome area was when it came to cancelling the parameter to find the locus of R.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:

zeek

HSC
Equation of Parabola -------> x2=4ay

To find the gradient of any point on the parabola you have to find the derivate .: dy/dx = mt = x/2a

Normal at P(2at, at2)
------------------------------------------
The normal's gradient is given by mn=-1/mt
.: at point P the gradient of the normal is -1/t
.: Normal at P is y - y1 = mn(x-x1)
.: yt=at3 + 2at - x

Normal at S(2as, as2)
-------------------------------------------
By using a similar approach as above... the normal at S becomes
ys=as3 + 2as - x

Point R
-------------
For them to meet at point R the two normals must intersect .: this parametric co ordinate can be resolved by solving the two equations simultaneously...
ys =as2 + 2a - (x/s)
yt =at2 + 2a - (x/t)

as2 + 2a - (x/s) = at2 + 2a - (x/t)
as2 - (x/t) = as2 - (x/s)
.: as2 - at2 = x((1/s)-(1/t))
= x((t-s)/st))
.:[a(s2 - t2).st]/(t-s) = x <=== factorise numerator
.:x = -ast(t+s) <======== re-substitute to get y
.:y =at2 + 2a + as(t+s)

Cartesian equation of R
--------------------------------
To find the cartesian equation of R, remove the parametrics so...
st=-2

x=-ats(t+s)
=2a(t+s)
.: x/2a = t+s

y=at2 + 2a + as(t+s)
=a(t2 + ts + s2 +2)
=a(t2 + s2)
=a(t+s)2 -2ats
=a(t+s)2 + 4a <====== substitute for x

y=a(x/2a)2 + 4a
=x2 + 4a
4ay=x2 + 16a2
.:4a(y-4a)=x2

EDIT: lol i didn't understand what you meant in your comment :S but yes you can assume certain things provided you give a substantial explanation or proof, however, this is usually done when you are actually working through the question :S
Keep thinking outside of the box though... maybe that way you can make it to 4 unit ;)

Last edited:

Delirium

HSC
Thank you very much. Both of you have helped me. Stupid old me slightly misinterpreted the question, and also didn't know what to do in some respects. I especially like the way the locus was obtained in the end (by the elimination of s + t), I never would've thought to do it like that -- I was especially curious about this, so that itch has been scratched so to speak.

Again, thank you.

Delirium

HSC
Sorry to bump this thread up, but there's one place of uncertainty regarding r3v3ng3's solution... In the section of his solution where he is finding the point R: when he is finding the y-coordinate of this point he substituted the x-coordinate which he found into one of the equations he began with.

The coordinate he gives is:

y = at<sup>2</sup> + 2a + as(t+s)

But if you substitute the value of x into the original equation he used yourself, you will end up with this:

y = at<sup>2</sup> + 2a + ast(t+s)/t

Obviously, the variable t has been cancelled. But the question has not told you to use the condition st = -2 in finding the coordinates of R. So, it's my opinion that in the solution for finding R, the condition "when t does not equal zero" should be included, since if st = -2 is not given as a condition, it is perfectly valid to assume that t can equal zero and that there still is an intersection point, yet its y-coordinate may not be that which is stated [i.e. y = at<sup>2</sup> + 2a + as(t+s)], as a division of the variable t has been performed, which in the case of t = 0 would be invalid.

Am I right? Or is there some other reasoning to justify his solution (which is otherwise correct)?

Last edited:

Riviet

HSC
N/A
If you look back at the equation of the normal to P:

y =at2 + 2a - (x/t)

t can't equal zero because this would result in an undefined denominator in x/t.

Hope that clears things up. :)

Delirium

HSC
@Riviet: True, but the fact is that a normal does exist at the point t = 0, with its equation being x = 0 (i.e. the axis of the parabola). Therefore, I would say that it would be rightful to exclude t = 0 from the given coordinates of R, as the methods used to obtain R assume that t does not equal zero...

Riviet

HSC
N/A
Delirium said:
@Riviet: True, but the fact is that a normal does exist at the point t = 0, with its equation being x = 0 (i.e. the axis of the parabola). Therefore, I would say that it would be rightful to exclude t = 0 from the given coordinates of R, as the methods used to obtain R assume that t does not equal zero...
I see what you mean, then I guess a note next to that line (after dividing by t) would be better, ie "t =/= 0".

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)