New server outage tomorrow(thurs) (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by truly-in-bliss
for some reason adsl is faster than cable here in china....
Hi TIB :)

You can find out what ISP you are with, and compare Chinese Cable and ADSL companies via their website(s). Maybe your aunty/relo's are paying more for their Internet connection, for a better service (faster service).

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by Asquithian
stop hasseling her mr Huy...with all ur Glaven talk :p
shes having a holiday
LOL oops, I'll behave. Sorry about that TIB :D
all i know is that US cable is very cheap into comparison to our rather expensive service...
Compared to the USA, Sweden, Norway, Korea and other countries have better Internet services. :)

Winston

HSC
cable in america is heck cheap, cable per month is equivalent to how much we pay for dial up here.

^___^
HSC
my dad said ADSL in near future will easily overtake cable

so wouldn't surprise me now if ADSL is faster than cable..but as Huy said, it might also be determined by the ISP blah blah blah

flyin'

EDIT
HSC
N/A
I'm thinkin' of gettin' ADSL. Dial up is too (comparatively) expensive.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by ...
my dad said ADSL in near future will easily overtake cable

so wouldn't surprise me now if ADSL is faster than cable..but as Huy said, it might also be determined by the ISP blah blah blah
well technically speaking- isn't cable way faster than adsl, since it uses optical fibres. :confused:

Winston

HSC
Well for now ADSL can go up to 1.5 Megabit in Australia that is, but in other countries it has the ability to surpass cable, but the fact is Telstra is gay and they made their exchanges and limiting it to 1.5.

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Winston
Well for now ADSL can go up to 1.5 Megabit in Australia that is, but in other countries it has the ability to surpass cable, but the fact is Telstra is gay and they made their exchanges and limiting it to 1.5.
well likewise can't they make cable go faster- i always thought optical fibre transmission is faster than thru copper wires. :s

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by freaking_out
i always thought optical fibre transmission is faster than thru copper wires. :s
It is.

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by freaking_out
well then, y r ppl. saying that adsl is faster than cable? :rolleyes:
TIB said that it is, in China ;)

Currently, cable in Australia is at 10mbit.
There have been tests overseas pushing DSL technology (not ADSL) to upwards of 20mbit. At present, as Winston has said, it is only 1.5mbit in Australia. In the future we might even see 8mbit or higher DSL technologies in Australia being rolled out, but I doubt that'll happen, not for a long time given the state of affairs in Australia. Cable is currently faster, as it operates on fibre optics rather than on copper-wire technology (which DSL is based upon). DSL is widely available, in comparison to Cable (which requires the laying of new cables and greater 'effort' to roll out), whereas DSL is already 'in operation' per se, utilising the twisted pairs of copper wires, inherent within the telephone lines. With more exchanges driven by demand in the near future, most homes will be having DSL as their primary Internet connection, whilst the 'speed enthusiasts' will be using Cable instead. Other viable alternative Internet connections, of course, would be Wireless services such as iBurst and the existing technologies such as Satellite and ISDN. :)

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
well yeah, i chose adsl instead of cable, coz of the 3gig cap that optus has on their "normal" plan....but then again, i can't get cable coz i live in a town house. :rolleyes: :mad1:

Huy

HSC
N/A
I'm on both, but you didn't hear that from me. :uhoh:

Telstra BigPond Cable - 3GB Residential
* $87.95/mo
* uncapped line
* uploads count towards monthly quota
* excess charges at $139/GB, no speed reductions (cap)

iiNet ADSL - 20GB (12GB peak, 8GB off peak) Bliink 512+

* $79.95/mo
* 512/128 line
* uploads are free
* shaping occurs to 72kbps after I exceed my usage, to further be shaped to 33kbps if I exceed my usage by 150% of the original monthly quota.

I'm going to cut the cable at the end of the year.

Last edited:

Huy

HSC
N/A
Originally posted by jm1234567890
my school has 4mbit ADSL....
My school has a satellite connection with Ihug (although I hear they have changed providers to something called SchoolsNet). While I was at school, we had a measly monthly quota and it was always being exceeded (which then prevents any access to the Internet, so we're left with offline systems).

:rolleyes:

freaking_out

Saddam's new life
HSC
Originally posted by Huy
My school has a satellite connection with Ihug (although I hear they have changed providers to something called SchoolsNet). While I was at school, we had a measly monthly quota and it was always being exceeded (which then prevents any access to the Internet, so we're left with offline systems).

yeah, since your skool is a private skool. well for goverment skools they get their internet from the department of education...which is quite fast actually- last time we were downloading at 100kb/s. :D

lol, and my software design teacher is so computer illeterate, so the kids were leeching (well not "exactly") but u know, downloading many things onto the comp. ;)

Winston

HSC
Originally posted by Huy

Yeah All Wanks, i meant All Saints :p.. my school uses Schoolsnet, we get 3 gigs a month :p.. so yeah lol its funny we spent the whole sdd lesson with our teacher whos the admin of the school looking through each students user account and see what they download and what sites they visit it was funny lol..

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)