• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

new sydney uni degrees (1 Viewer)

ashjw84

Bachelor of Arts and Sciences
Bachelor of International Studies

What do you think their cut-offs will be ? Around 80 ? (hopefully).

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
what the? Bachelor of Arts & Science
Isnt that the exact same as the B.Arts/B.Sc combined degree?
yeh I reckon they'd be about 80. If they're new for 2005 they'll be lower than you think (I think). Then in 2006 they'll prob jump up.

Farcanell

Info on it here:
http://www.uac.edu.au/courses/usyd/511214.htm

Yeah, i guess its like the bachelor of economics and social sciences degree that USYD already offers in that it gives a really broad education that's suited to postgraduate study. Allows units in arts, sciences, economics and some law units.

Last edited:

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Suited to postgraduate study? You mean good for people who already have degrees or good for people who want to enter higher (research) degrees after completing the bachelor's program?

Farcanell

Probably should have said that better :p

UAC said:
Further study: B Arts and Sciences is an ideal prelude to the Graduate Medical Program, Master of Teaching or Master of Business Administration. A wide range of postgraduate studies is available in the Faculties of Arts and Science. These will enable you to concentrate further on your major area of interest.
So yeah, intended for people wanting a bachelors degree as to become eligible for postgrad courses.

Last edited:

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
its good that this can be a prelude to Masters of BA, but could i sue this to progress to psychology honours??

im jst trying to see what courses i can get into that will lead to the 4th honours yr

Sarah

HSC
N/A
To gain recognition as a psychologists you need to do a 4 year psych based degree e.g B Psychology or B Science majoring in pyschology.The 4th year is the honours year.

Some degrees e.g B Arts (psych major) may not be sufficient to get you into the honours year. I know this is the case with UNSW as to do honours in psych you can only do it from a B Psych or B Science (Psychology major).

After the 4th year you either do a Masters of Psych or a PHD in psych to gain formal recognition with the Australian Psychologists Association (i think that's what it's called).

For other subjects e.g Politics, sociology, finance, you need to check the requirements. It really depends on what you want to major in.

If you really want to do honours in science, you should check out UNSW's B Advanced Science. It's a 4 year degree with the 4th year being the honours yr. Only diff with B Science is there are a few core subjects you have to do and the list of majors is smaller than a normal B Science. I think psych may be offered in Adv Science. I could be wrong through.

Anyway, hope this helps

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
You forgot the honours year to gain recognition, so it would be BSc Hons (Psych).

I think also you take either postgraduate study OR clinical placement to receive accreditation, but there is also a minimal clinical practice requirement. My information is a year old though, so it's really dusty.

clairegirl

the name's Anne!
HSC
Sarah said:
To gain recognition as a psychologists you need to do a 4 year psych based degree e.g B Psychology or B Science majoring in pyschology.The 4th year is the honours year.

Some degrees e.g B Arts (psych major) may not be sufficient to get you into the honours year. I know this is the case with UNSW as to do honours in psych you can only do it from a B Psych or B Science (Psychology major).

After the 4th year you either do a Masters of Psych or a PHD in psych to gain formal recognition with the Australian Psychologists Association (i think that's what it's called).

Anyway, hope this helps
Yeah the arts with psychology at unsw is not APS (Australian Psychology Society) accredited, however the arts-psychology degree at macquarie is APS accredited, meaning .... my degree is 3 years, then we have to compete to get into honours. To become formally registered with the APS it's actually... either two years more of studying (masters i think) or two more years of practice under supervision. Then Bam you get formally recognised as a psychologist. Anyway cutoffs for macq's APS accredited courses are

B Psychology 96 or something
B arts-psychology 87
B science- psychology 87

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
At my uni, we can do either BPsych, BA (psych) or BSc (psych).

The arts and science degrees are just as valid, so long as we do an APS accredited sequence, which is more subjects than a usual major (ie, a usual major is 4 3000-level subjects, whereas the APS sequence is 6 at 3000-level)

However, for the degree to be of any use, you really do need to do honours after it, and its a LOT more competitive to get into the Hons program through either science or arts than it is through the straight BPsych program....then theres masters and the like

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
if its competitive to get into honours from Bsci or Barts and u dont meet the requirements for the final yr to follow on what do you do? what options are there to progress to psychology masters or practise being a science graduate?

santaslayer

HSC
when ur 25 yrs+ u can apply for mature aged entry...but even that is hard..(ie...foollowing the criteria)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
Even mature applicants must be seen as possessing sufficient ability to manage with tertiary level study. If you get a very low UAI then just hang around for three-seven years (the age requirement varies) they still won't accept your application.

thejosiekiller

every me
HSC
no im not asking about uai- im seeing if ur a 3rd yr science student who doesnt get the required marks to progress to the honours yr- what do u do then if u want to be a psychologist

braindrainedAsh

Journalist
HSC
I really like the sound of that Bachelor and Arts and Sciences, I probably would have done that degree if they had offered it when I was in yr 12!!!!!

hipsta_jess

Up the mighty red V
HSC
N/A
thejosiekiller said:
if its competitive to get into honours from Bsci or Barts and u dont meet the requirements for the final yr to follow on what do you do? what options are there to progress to psychology masters or practise being a science graduate?
pretty much none, you're up poo-creek.

Phanatical

Happy Lala
HSC
You go and find other ways of enriching yourself and your education. For example, if you score a UAI in the 70's, but go on to do something monumental for humanity, that sort of thing counts in your favour.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)