• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

New Zealand Hip hop is killing aussie hip hop.... (1 Viewer)

Comrade nathan

HSC
Hiphophorray123 wouldnt have a fucking clue about OZ Hip hop, so shut the fuck up.

TRIPS

HSC
oz hip hop is the shit. Pretty much all the cd's i buy these days are aussie hip hop
"obese records fatter than yo mamma"

HSC
buggdogg, you yourself pointed out you don't listen to hiphop too much, making all your comments in this thread irrelevant and futile. Let alone unappreciated.
I give you your props for acknowledging koolism though...they were worthy of an aria so they definitely cut it

hiphop...stop threatening people with viruses, lol...they can claim mental anguish when they sue you hehehe just playin'

Last edited:

ElGronko

Not premium
HSC
Hectic thread, only just found it now after randomly googling Hyjak and Torture to check spelling to thank them for supporting us last night.

Mad to know that some aussie artists are getting love, and good to see that is the good ones too.

This the response me and a dude in my group gave when we were asked the following question about the scene:

DB: Now we get to the politics. Can each of you give a summary of why we should support the Australian hip hop scene?

R: Haha, well the simple, obvious answer is, because it's dope. While there is quite a bit of whack shit in the Australian Hip Hop scene, there is equally some really mad stuff being done.

On top of that, while people shouldn't be forced into listening to shit they don't like, I feel it is totally wrong to simply dismiss something without understanding it. I think that 'identity' is a very important thing, especially in this day, age and social climate. Australian hip hop reflects Australian life, and tells the story of Australian people. It reflects our cultural identity. In an isolated country like Australia this is even more important, especially with the worlds current political climate.

Unfortunately, there is the flipside of people basically saying that everything Australian is dope, full stop. Or that everything that is a certain style of Australian hip hop is dope. Having this type of bias is bullshit, and I feel is what is holding Australian hip hop back. Basically there is a certain niche that seems to dominate the hardcore Australian hip hop community that will probably call me a 'faggot' for using the word 'niche'. Basically, if you talk about anything other than bottling cunts and fucking imaginary women, you get black-balled. I am not dissing this type of music, I can appreciate a lot of it and some of the artists are dope, it's just that the fans are often close minded and are quick to write off any other kind of hip hop.

If people really want Australian hip hop to compare and compete with international artists, they have to be prepared for it to grow, and to diversify.

PC: Damn Raph, you know how to rant, but I do agree. I'm not saying that we should all develop fake American accents, grow hoes and rock bling, but I do think that Australian hip hop needs to develop a wider identity. Especially that the tall poppy syndrome that sees groups like the Hilltop Hoods, Bliss and Eso or Weapon X, people who have invested time and commitment into the scene and fostered its growth and development for years without making a cent, dismissed as toy the second they get national radio play, really needs to change. The Hilltop Hoods are a really good example of a group who has assisted and supported countless Australian artists at various points in their career for reasons other than the money and who have paid their dues time and again and shown respect and commitment to the scene we are a part of, only for a specific section of the scene they care about to dismiss them the second they get air play.

It's not my place to make a values judgment on their music because that's not what this is about, I just feel that even if you don't like the music someone makes or don't like the attitude someone takes in the distribution of their music, as a part of the Australian Hip Hop scene people should show respect to those crews who give back to the community and are putting out quality content, even if it's not to your personal taste.

With this said the Australian scene in my opinion is dope and vibrant, there are thousands of individuals who get out there and do their thing whether that is musical, or in supporting those people who are, and those people make my life a lot better. The Australian scene is worth supporting because it's controversial and difficult, if it was easy enough to get love and earn respect with the people that matter, no one would bother, and that's the truth.

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
talk about bringing a shit thread back from the dead

i know it isn't representative of NZ hip hop, but alot of NZ hip hop advocates always boast about how good 'savage' is to me...but GOD DAMN have any of you heard his latest crap...'they don't know' with some fob singer.....HOLY SHIT some of the fucking worst mumbling crap i've ever heard, and the melody to the hook is a SHIT attempt at being catchy.

hilltop hoods are making a bit of noise over in the US actually, they were also reviewed on sixshot, which is a US hip hop based website.

Espo15

Banned
HSC
N/A
the two scenes are different.

also has anyone heard any spit syndicate? i am loving these guys atm

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
7th Sign said:
man why does nz have soo many great artists and australia has like no one....australia is like 4 times bigger then nz i dont get it.....

just to name a few that are been backed by artists like mobb deep and akon...

*deceptikonz
*P Money
*Scribe

australia has like no one this big in the hip hop game worldwide ....

only artists are guys like "tranman" + other groups :| is this the future of australian hip hop :| we need some new group and fast!....
LMAO...ive seen "tranman" on soundclick...LMAO...that guy is asian gangsta wannabe...

anyways what ive got to say is i dont know any nz rappers that dont have an american accent...wierd ay???

aussie hiphop>>>nz hiphop

89-94 NY rap>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>whatever rap has come to

rap is dead...really

Crestwood's_G

In Elegance
HSC
illmatic said:
why wont you answer my question?

what makes Big L, old Jay-Z, Nas etc the "true form" hip hop?
because they are from new york...and new york created rap...the only artists that have been good enough to me from outside NY are:

- ice cube
- common
- ludacris (this guy i downloaded his CD's and he is quite lyrical)
- scarface

thats about it...fuck 2pac...2pac was overrated...

otay

HSC
Crestwood's_G said:
because they are from new york...and new york created rap...the only artists that have been good enough to me from outside NY are:

- ice cube
- common
- ludacris (this guy i downloaded his CD's and he is quite lyrical)
- scarface

thats about it...fuck 2pac...2pac was overrated...
What about the Roots? The Pharcyde? NWA? The Coup? Hilltop Hoods(earlier stuff but even their new stuff is fun)? Outkast? All better than Ludacris. 2pac was overrated but he's still pretty good. Better than Scarface or Ludacris in my opinion. Shit i'd put Muph and Plutonic on that list too. They're 'Heaps Good'

89-97 I say were the best years and yeah it has died down a bit. But I think Aussie hip hop atm is as good as any around the world. French hip hop aint bad either actually
Aussie Hip hop defo shits on kiwi i-try-to-sound-american hip hop

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
yeah i like french hip hop, aside from the fact that i don't know what the fuck they are saying...

that remix nas did of affirmative action with those french dudes was nice.

it seems that alot of good rappers are from philly:

black thought
cassidy
freeway
beanie sigel
will smith
eve

NY definently isn't the centre of hip hop for me.

otay

HSC
Really? I mean I dont think that ALL good shit comes outta NY, but definetly for me its the centre. Just look at what it has produced

Public Enemy
BDP
Ultramagnetic MC's
A Tribe Called Quest
Wu Tang
Big Daddy Kane
Beastie Boys
Gang Starr
Run DMC
Pete Rock and CL Smooth
Organized Konfusion
Nas
Jay Z
Big L
AZ
Mobb Deep
Jeru The Damaja
OC
MF Doom
Biggie
Mos Def
Talib Kweli
EPMD
Das EFX
MC Serch

I could go on....definetly the centre for me, but not the only place

Oh and that French group in the Affirmative Action remix is Supreme NTM (Nique Ta Mere...which means Fuck your mum). Yeah they are pretty dope, used to be hell hardcore but now softened off quite a bit. Fonky family are awesome too and IAM are Siiiick too. As I said with Aussie hip hop, its the ebst in the world atm. US hip hop is still quite good, but its getting hard to find unique acts over there anymore

Last edited:

hiphophooray123

Twisted firestarter
HSC
supaflybboy said:
In terms of US hiphop otay looks like he's the only one who's got his shit together,
lol............

i love G-Unit :)

I used to have the backpacker attitude evidenced by most of my posts in this forum. But fuck it, i've grown out of it. And i respect Ludacris, and i do have a fucking idea about hip hop :)

Last edited:

T-Boner

HSC
fuck your prejudices, i love em both. oz and nz hip hop do it for me. my memory is absolutely shocking and also hindered in this instance by a certain poison going by the name of victoria bitter, but was it phrase and savage who supported snoop earlier this year at the hordern? where are these cats from? compared to most of you self confessed 'experts', im relatively new to the oz hip hop scene, and yeah my knowledge aint too crash hot.

i sorta got into the whole skip hop thing after hearing the odd track on surf dvds. took me ages to get off my arse and rip it onto my iTunes, but i guess it was Downsyde who could take the credit of getting me into the scene. love em. TZU and hilltop hoods followed pretty much instantly, but these days if its hip hop (from anywhere... not all that into the G-unit style rap thought) ill listen.

hey has anyone got into a group called Bluejuice? i fucken love em, "Bounce Back" is a killer track imo.

www.bluejuice.info www.myspace.com/bluejuice

TRIPS

HSC
yeah bluejuice are pretty good i saw them live at Park Jam last year i hope Park Jam comes back soon. Thanks for the recognition supafly...i read the posts on hip hop on here and i just think they have no idea. As far as NZ hip hop i would probably say im only feeling Frontline. Anyone from sydney who is into aussie hip hop or curious about it you should go to the funkoars concert on the 18th of August at the bar broadway its gonna have good supports too including spit syndicate so espo you should check it out its only $22 on the door or u can but tickets at soul clap records on george street for $18 i think so its pretty cheap for a good concert.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)