Newcastle Interview? (1 Viewer)

~shinigami~

~Summer Song~
HSC
dreamer17 said:
ok, bear with me guys, but what exactly does it mean by cutoffs? is that the number of people they take in?
The cutoff is the minimum score you need to be considered.

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Bob.J said:
that's the umat score cutoff (all 3 section scores added up), out of 300. It's the scaled score so that you can compare umat scores from 06 with 05' etc.
they take 400 interviewees every year.

you can find out the cut off score by calling up the newc med faculty
im apply for medicine this yr
r u sure?

because i know u cant add..despite majoring in maths..:wave:

Bob.J

ZoOm
HSC
why do you people keep attacking me

just because i'm really really ridiculously smarter than you

:bomb:

+Po1ntDeXt3r+

HSC
Bob.J said:
why do you people keep attacking me

just because i'm really really ridiculously smarter than you

:bomb:
no its cos ud lik to think that..

Me-Shell

HSC
Just for the sake of information - although it's ancient news now..

Uncle do release cut-offs. They may not 'publish' them on their website or anything.. but once the interview offers are released each year, you can ring Tracey and ask her what the cut-off is and she will tell you.

There were 3 entry streams for UNCLE med in 2006 (for 2007 start).

1. Normal entry - needed a 187 to get an interview

2. Rural, remote applications scheme - needed about 163 to get an interview - I don't know the exact cut-off there...

3. Those whom were conisdered to be part of the 'dean's regional list'. Students don't apply to be on the dean's regional list, but if you apply, and you are what UNCLE consider to be 'regional' then you may be given an interview even though your score is lower than the cut-off for normal entry. Once again, I believe the lower limit of cut-offs for people in this criterion was the mid 160s. Regional, in UNC's book = people living in the Newcastle region, as well as people living in RRMA 3 and above - (I think - they don't actually publish just exactly how they choose dean's regional list people). This is different to entry under the rural remote applications scheme - as more strict rules apply to people applying under the RRAS.

liz-bug101

HSC
Hey i was just wondering when do people usually get interview offers each year?

Zephyrio

HSC
Hold on a sec.

You need at leas 187 to be considered for an interview?

That is ridiculously high, and limits the prospective students to the of 4-5% of those who underttook UMAT!

=\

I got an interview from UNSW with 178 UMAT... :\

lionking1191

HSC
Zephyrio said:
Hold on a sec.

That is ridiculously high, and limits the prospective students to the of 4-5% of those who underttook UMAT!

=\

lol at unsw you actually get credit for doing your hsc well

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
Zephyrio said:
Hold on a sec.

=\

Probably because they want the higher quality cohort of med students at Newcastle.

Zephyrio

HSC
blue_chameleon said:
Probably because they want the higher quality cohort of med students at Newcastle.
I firmly believe that UMAT scores do not have much to do with the quality/calibre of a student.

lionking1191

HSC
Zephyrio said:
I firmly believe that UMAT scores do not have much to do with the quality/calibre of a student.
taking the accuracy and validity of the UMAT test aside, basing selection on one test, taken over a period of 3 hours alone, is stupid.

which i guess is the reason why no uni uses UMAT alone.

blue_chameleon said:
i'd be interested to find out how many standard entries there are for UNCLE each yr. with a 95%+ percentile you'd have a very good chance of making UNSW or UWS - both of which are closer to metro areas and considered equal if not better in terms of teaching quality.

blue_chameleon

Shake the sauce bottle yo
HSC
lionking1191 said:
i'd be interested to find out how many standard entries there are for UNCLE each yr. with a 95%+ percentile you'd have a very good chance of making UNSW or UWS - both of which are closer to metro areas and considered equal if not better in terms of teaching quality.
I'm interested to know, what makes UNSW or USW 'equal if not better in terms of teaching quality"?

lionking1191

HSC
blue_chameleon said:
I'm interested to know, what makes UNSW or USW 'equal if not better in terms of teaching quality"?
well they are not worse - that's what equal if not better means. or have you heard otherwise?

Wooz

^wooz*y^
HSC
UNSW has prestige since it's been running for over 30 years. While UWS is a new medical school. Interms of quality and teaching UWS is based on the University of Melbourne(Former most prestigeous uni and oldest course since the 1880's) curriculum for the first 2 years. It is also focused on Problem based learning.

UNSW is 6 years with a 1 year research component. UNSW get's better teachinghospitals such as the Pricne of Wales, Sydney Childrens, RPA, etc + 1 compulsory rural rotation etc.
UWS is 5 years with a 1 year research option avaliable in years 2 or 3. Teaching hospitals: Blacktown, Campbelltown, Nepean, Westmead Childres and possibly Liverpool.

In terms of teaching quality both have to meet stringent AMC standards.

partelephant

Monkey on a Rock
HSC
Yeah UNCLE interview offers were released sometime in the middle of the HSC exam period last year for the person that asked. And I'm pretty sure people got interviews last year with UMAT scores lower than 187 (how much lower I'm not really sure - at least around 180 or something I think).

Not really that important, but USyd gets RPA and Westmead (it gets the 'big' hospitals - RNS as well). UNSW has Prince of Wales, St Vincents, St George, Sutherland, Fairfield, Bankstown and Liverpool in the Sydney metro-ish area.

liz-bug101

HSC
thanks so much, I was really curious to know when they were released :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)