• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

nexttttt (1 Viewer)

Takuto

HSC
gloworm14 said:
are these notes substantial for macfarlane burnet?

australian virologist best know for his contributions to immunology

experimented with influenza viruses by growing them in fertilised hen's eggs

proposed radical theory 'clonal selection theory' about wbc called lymphocytes

burnet and co-workers also researched other viruses like herpes, myxomatosis and smallpox-like viruses

more
than enough

ALGALELE

Superman
HSC
effect sbstrate and enzyme is easy, i hope they dont ask us about natural selection or i hope i dont get a prac on the option topic!!! thatd kil me

dolbinau

HSC
danz90 said:
yeah, we did that one, im pretty sure.

we got two cans of canned beans, opened only ONE, partially, and the other was left unopened and sealed, for a few days. hence one was not exposed to pathogens, and didn't spoil, while the other did.
lol. We actually used Swan necked flasks and broth.

--

For umm, the conditions in which a pathogen is described as one - are factors like its ability to multiply before systems appear, transmit across hosts etc.. necessary for a pathogen to be described as one, or, is it only "a disease causing organism"?

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
dolbinau said:
This one:

identify data sources, plan and choose equipment or resources to perform a first hand investigation to identify microbes in food or in water

How do you guys define Reliability/Accuracy/Validity?
umm make sure the temp is at a constant warm temp in the incubator. (btw that incubator really smells fishy =[
accuracy you can always say REPETITION
validity you can say that you can compare with secondary resources or compare with other students

any more?

ALGALELE

Superman
HSC
btw, does every1 here use Ahmad Shah notes or do you make our own notes?

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
dolbinau said:
This one:

identify data sources, plan and choose equipment or resources to perform a first hand investigation to identify microbes in food or in water

How do you guys define Reliability/Accuracy/Validity?
Reliability - Repeat and take an average
Accuracy - All measurements were correct. Using graduated pippettes, measuring cylinders etc to measure volumes, electric mass balance to 2dp for weight. For any experiment involving pH you can say that a pH meter was used/or could be used instead of universal indicator to increase accuracy
Validity - All variables apart from the one you are testing for (independent) are controlled

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
ALGALELE said:
effect sbstrate and enzyme is easy, i hope they dont ask us about natural selection or i hope i dont get a prac on the option topic!!! thatd kil me
the natural selection one is pretty easy isnt it?
the green and red toothpicks on green grass then neutral concrete?

Takuto

HSC
danz90 said:
yeah, we did that one, im pretty sure.

we got two cans of canned beans, opened only ONE, partially, and the other was left unopened and sealed, for a few days. hence one was not exposed to pathogens, and didn't spoil, while the other did.
we used pieces of cheese all handled differently and then sealed inside petri dishes.

lol, we all did different for pasteur

danz90

HSC
dolbinau said:
lol. We actually used Swan necked flasks and broth.
my teacher had done that one a couple years ago and still keeps it, and showed us.

i hope the 8-marker is a prac... that would be the best to get almost full marks in. just include all aspects of a prac and u'll be fine.

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
ALGALELE said:
btw, does every1 here use Ahmad Shah notes or do you make our own notes?
those notes are really good.
im currently reading them and looking at my own notes, and ticking each dot point off.
then im gonna do the success one hsc questions

done maintaining a balance, blueprint of life, now doing search for a better health and havent touched communication LOL

ahmad doesnt have communication notes.

ALGALELE

Superman
HSC
gloworm14 said:
the natural selection one is pretty easy isnt it?
the green and red toothpicks on green grass then neutral concrete?
in my trials, i rote the toothpick experiment and got 0/8.........acording to my teacher the toothpick one is about coping with enviornments or something so dosent suffice.. she said that we had to rite about a specific species that went through natural selection..lol

ALGALELE

Superman
HSC
gloworm14 said:
those notes are really good.
im currently reading them and looking at my own notes, and ticking each dot point off.
then im gonna do the success one hsc questions

done maintaining a balance, blueprint of life, now doing search for a better health and havent touched communication LOL

ahmad doesnt have communication notes.
ahaha omg wer on the same ttrack LOL, ahahaha thank god its 9am though, btw if u need good comm notes pm me, a friend of mine who got 96 in bio sent them to me..

Takuto

HSC
ALGALELE said:
in my trials, i rote the toothpick experiment and got 0/8.........acording to my teacher the toothpick one is about coping with enviornments or something so dosent suffice.. she said that we had to rite about a specific species that went through natural selection..lol
wow, are you serious

what exactly was the question, lol

if its modelling the process of natural selection, the toothpick one should have got you full

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
ALGALELE said:
waaaaaaat
lol
well it models the theory of natural selection.

how about the jellybean one

dolbinau

HSC
ALGALELE said:
wtf? Was the question a model of natural selection (an experiment style model)?

It should be correct.

ALGALELE

Superman
HSC
well, the question was "perform a first hand investigation to model the process of natural selction"...ye i was so pisd man coz my trials were out of 90 rite, so i had lost 8 marks for nothing!, bt ye i argued so much......then got sent to the head teacher got a arvo lol...

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
ALGALELE said:
ahaha omg wer on the same ttrack LOL, ahahaha thank god its 9am though, btw if u need good comm notes pm me, a friend of mine who got 96 in bio sent them to me..
twinnns =)
yeh i woke up around 8:20, was supposed to wake up at 8 lol
i was hoping i could have today to do just quick revision all day but i guess thats not happening until later tonight.

thanks for the notes invite =) ill pm u later when i get to that topic

dolbinau

HSC
ALGALELE said:
well, the question was "perform a first hand investigation to model the process of natural selction"...ye i was so pisd man coz my trials were out of 90 rite, so i had lost 8 marks for nothing!, bt ye i argued so much......then got sent to the head teacher got a arvo lol...

Yeah, I strongly disagree that you should have lost any marks. Talking about a specific species with natural selection is not a first hand investigation and is not a model.

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
ALGALELE said:
ok well lets hope we dont get that question and coincidently your teacher is marking that question!!!
but im pretty sure that answer would be right for that question.

even if you did do that, shouldnt you of gotten at LEAST some marks?

Takuto

HSC
ALGALELE said:
lol, the toothpick one fits that question perfectly

thats really strange..

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)