nexttttt (1 Viewer)

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
ALGALELE said:
wtf how fast did u finish search for beter health!
last night i already did like 1/3 of it... hehe have fun studying for bio and legal!:read:

gloworm14

HSC
N/A
dolbinau said:
Does anyone know specifically when in meiosis random segregation occurs?
if anyone calls up, can someone ask this question?

if nobody does ill do it later tonight:)

midifile

Na Na Na Na Naa
HSC
dolbinau said:
I think metaphase I coz thats when chromosomes line up on the spindle

danz90

HSC
Hey, ive got an idea. sounds lame though

how about we make little hsc-style quizzes (any random questions).. and then everyone posts the answers up in this thread.
and don't look back at the textbook for answers etc.

B

bekmay

ALGALELE i'm with you buddy! legal and bio tomorrow, i am totally ignoring legal cos of all the stuff i don't know about bio haahha

ALGALELE

Superman
HSC
ok me first

trace the historical development of our understanding of the cause and prevenion of malaria

NO PEEKING!

sam2100

HSC
dolbinau said:
kk i hope this clears up final confusion

RANDOM SEGREGATION - principle in genetics holding that during meiosis the two separated partners of a chromosome pair are distributed randomly to the reproductive cells gametes, each gamete having an equal chance of receiving either chromosome - thus this occurs upon the chromatids splitting just before cytokenisis creates 4 gametes

INDEPENDENT ASSORTMENT - the principle that genes are inherited independently of one another, (although genes close together on the same chromosome have a higher likelihood of being inherited together)

ALGALELE

Superman
HSC
bekmay said:
ALGALELE i'm with you buddy! legal and bio tomorrow, i am totally ignoring legal cos of all the stuff i don't know about bio haahha
aahahha im gna finish of communication and the remainder of s for bete health
THEN LEGAL IT ALL-NIGHTER F.T.W!
goodluck dude
btw, wna share consumerand fmily law notes (if ur doingthem)

dolbinau

HSC
ALGALELE said:
ok me first

trace the historical development of our understanding of the cause and prevenion of malaria

NO PEEKING!
19th Century - Sir Patrick Manson demonstrated mosquitos can be airborne vectors for worms and hypothesised Malaria could also be transmitted this way

19th Century - Ronal Ross identified the Plasmodium Protozoa as the cause of Malaria

19th Century - Grassi discovered anopheles mosquito was vector

1940s - Synthetic quinine treatments

WWII - Chloroquinine treatments

Late 20th century - WHO used DDT to destroy breeding groups for Anopheles mosquito

Now - Protozoa is resistant to many past quinine treatments, research being developed

hoochiscrazy

HSC
dolbinau said:
Its when the first stage of division takes place(dont know the phase names and pretty sure you dont). The homologous chromosomes aline them selves in the middle and that process is random which is random segregation. Then they split to form 2 daughter cells with each having 46 chromosomes and then they split again to give 4 gametes that have a haploid number of chromosomes (23). think thats right.

Woops dont worry looked it up and occurs when they split into 4 gametes not 2 daughter cells.

Last edited:

ALGALELE

Superman
HSC
if u didnt peek, then im dropping out ................

NEXT QUESTION

DESCRIBE THE STRUCTURES IN PLANTS WHIC ASSIST IN THE CONSERVATION OF WATER (WITH A NAMED E.G)

sam2100

HSC
ALGALELE said:
ok me first

NO PEEKING!
uh ok

4bc: greeks believed malaria was caused by particles breathed in from marshland areas

1880s: Laveran - saw micro org in blood of malaria patients
Golgi - saw this micro org reproducing a sexually in blood of patients

1890s: Manson - proposed malaria trasmitted by mozzies
Grassi - discovered anopheles mozzie as vector
Ross - discovered plasmodium protozoan was cause of malaria (received nobel price)

1900s: use of DDT and quinine for protection

today: DDT and quinine resistant strains of mosquitos has lead to large amounts of research in developing vaccine for malaria

B

bekmay

ALGALELE said:
aahahha im gna finish of communication and the remainder of s for bete health
THEN LEGAL IT ALL-NIGHTER F.T.W!
goodluck dude
btw, wna share consumerand fmily law notes (if ur doingthem)
yeep sure lets share! but im doing world order instead of consumer LOL. i got me some family stuff though =]
hit me after about 3pm and i'll be onto legal hahah

in the meantime, who wants to tell me about some current reproductive technologies?

dolbinau

HSC
if u didnt peek, then im dropping out ................

NEXT QUESTION

DESCRIBE THE STRUCTURES IN PLANTS WHIC ASSIST IN THE CONSERVATION OF WATER (WITH A NAMED E.G)
I didn't, hehe. For this. Spinifex - Few Sunken Stomates, Short spikey leaves which can roll up. Eucalypt - Waxy Cuticle

Seems a bit barren but It would probably be enough for 2 marks I think.

-

Can anyone post their historical development of evolution so I can steal it off you? hehe

ALGALELE

Superman
HSC
dolbinau said:
I didn't, hehe. For this. Spinifex - Few Sunken Stomates, Short spikey leaves which can roll up. Eucalypt - Waxy Cuticle

-

Can anyone post their historical development of evolution so I can steal it off you? hehe
FUKKK
I BETER GO STUDY

sam2100

HSC
dolbinau said:

-

1800s --> lamarcks concept of use it or lose it (organisms consciously try to adapt then pass it on)
1850s --> Wallace andDarwin devised Nat. Selection separately
1900s --> fisher haldane and wright set up idea of integrating genes into Darwins theory

do you need the influences too?

dolbinau

HSC
I'm not sure. But thanks. Although, those people doing communication - How can we tell the difference between the Organ of Corti and the Cochlea?

Is the Organ of Corti the spirally bit?

hoochiscrazy

HSC
dolbinau said:
I'm not sure. But thanks. Although, those people doing communication - How can we tell the difference between the Organ of Corti and the Cochlea?

Is the Organ of Corti the spirally bit?
I think the Cochlea is the overall sort of structure then the organ of corti is more specific and the coil in the middle of the cochlea

danz90

HSC
hey guys, do this hsc revision quiz i just knocked up.

post ur answers here, so we can kinda share answers, critique others etc. i reckon it'll work good, make us feel ready for tomorrow.

its attached as a PDF.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)