NFL, NRL or AFL (1 Viewer)

HSC
It depends - All the sports have players/positions which are less tough than others. But if you were to rank the toughest, most physical positions, then AFL (inside midfielders) would come first, followed by NFL (offensive and defensive linemen) then NRL (front rowers)
I say AFL because in that sport you are expected to dive over the ball, or run back into a pack, with no regard for injury or personal safety. If you pull out of a contest, you often get labelled 'soft'. This occurs in AFL more than any other sport.
I think that many AFL players are very soft though - I could name a few at Richmond (my team).

LAmey08

HSC
John President said:
I think that many AFL players are very soft though - I could name a few at Richmond (my team).
Yeah I could name a few too, Richo ahaa. I really can't stand him.

frontman

HSC
maddie01 said:
no way! AFL is heaps harder! They are running and watching their backs the WHOLE time. In nrl you stand in a line and try and run through a wall of people. *yawn*
The vast majority of field sports are running and watching your back. That doesn't make AFL very special.

frontman

HSC
John President said:
I say AFL because in that sport you are expected to dive over the ball, or run back into a pack, with no regard for injury or personal safety. If you pull out of a contest, you often get labelled 'soft'. This occurs in AFL more than any other sport.
Er no it happens in every 'macho' sport/event in most cultures around the world.

spence

HSC
Personally I love watching NFL. I reckon Arena Football would be mad to watch, but I never have

HSC
frontman said:
Er no it happens in every 'macho' sport/event in most cultures around the world.
Maybe, but AFL, quite frequently, features two opposite sides diving at a loose ball, or running from opposite directions towards each other in a marking contest.
NRL is like that too, I guess, when people kick it high up in the air, but for NFL kick and punt returns, the returns are never highly contested - for punt returns, if the defender gets too close, you can call a "fair catch" which basically lets the returner catch it from where he is.

The closest thing the NFL get to two people converging on the ball from opposite directions at high speed (which takes great courage) is when a wide reciever catches a high pass without knowing if a linebacker or defensive back is heading right for them, ready to knock them out of the air.

I know that's not the only aspect of toughness, but in my opinion going in towards a ball without worrying about how much it will hurt if you get hit is a true measure of toughness: more so than how big you are or how much you can bench press.

HSC
squiresshane990 said:
Im doubting whether you people even play sport.
i agree

with regards to nfl punt/kick returns if they do decide to run it back it is alot more open and so people build up speed easier. also kick returnser normally don't call for a "fair catch" as they would be right down near their endzone

do you by any chance go for a NFL team, john president?

bheck7

Don't shoot the messenger
HSC
johony said:
IRB. aka Rugby Union.

the rest are fairly the same - except afl, whilst you might not get hit as hard as in other codes, imo it has a higher degree of unpredictability. in the other codes, the majority of the time you can prepare yourself from getting hit hard.
puh-lease. firstly, tackles are harder in rugby league because you're further away from the defensive line. then it's not as stop and start and it's faster than rugby, so you need to be tougher endurance wise.

johony

HSC
bheck7 said:
puh-lease. firstly, tackles are harder in rugby league because you're further away from the defensive line. then it's not as stop and start and it's faster than rugby, so you need to be tougher endurance wise.
i'll agree about the tackles being generally harder, especially seeing as union has long banned the shoulder charge. but a longer distance doesn't necessarily constitute a harder hit. a 5 metre run (especially off a flat pass) can still do quite a bit of damage.

in terms of endurance, the other aspects of the game: mauling, rucking, scrumming, lineouts; do take take a lot out of you, especially if you are a forward which means you'll be doing all those for the majority of the game.

JB10

HSC
Zrap said:
Real men dont wear layers and layers of protective equipment eg shoulder pads, helmets, knee pads, thigh pads.
You're an idiot.. I'd like to see you block 350 pound men without helmet/padding.. Getting blind sided, being completely vulnerable jumping 6 feet in the air for the ball.
Rugby League - all you do is run straight into 1-2 guys.. Fall to the ground, play the ball.

JB10

HSC
adnan91 said:
Socceeeeeeeeeerrrr
You mean the sport where a guy gets touched on the leg, falls down and starts getting teary-eyed?
Soccer players are a bunch of bitches.

johony

HSC
for fucks sake.

why do every one of these "biggest hits" compilation videos all use the same shitty nelly song over and over?

boris

Banned
HSC
ITT: homos

Nelly is a homo. Union is for homos. Soccer is for homos. League is pretty tough and only for men. AFL is alright, can get fucked up nicely.

that bloke

HSC
soccer- generally fast and flowing. but limp-wristed as all fuck
NFL/rugby - slow, stagnant and full of meatheads running into each other.

AFL - the perfect balance.

j.russell

HSC
You can't really compare them, they're completely different sports.
That said, i reckon gridiron and league are tougher than AFL in terms of hard collisions in tackles (not to diss it, they are different games).
Union and league are pretty similar in terms of tough physicality i reckon - shoulder charges in league even out with the toughness of the scrums and rucks in union in my opinion.

siddharthlaha

HSC
Uni Grad
soccer takes talent, skill and is called "the beautiful game" for a reason

AFL is at least kind of entertaining to watch, unlike the stop start nature of burly men ramming their face into other men's backsides *NRL*.

zingerburger

HSC
AFL is the worst out of the three. It just seems like such a scrappy game. What annoys me most about it is when someone takes a mark and they walk back 50 metres and never end up kicking the ball anywhere near where they took the mark. It's like they actually want to make it harder for themselves to score a goal. It's silly.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)