HSC
i bought a carton/case of berieires on friday and drank them

then i went to a pub and drank delicious berieres

delicious perth freedom

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Marriage is a legal arrangment with the government

Government doesn't enter into arrangment with gays.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A

yes, but if the government (or rather, its agents) did enter into an arrangement with gays (i.e. married two gays), it would be contravening the law, i.e. illegal

one can deduce that non-theft is legal, given that theft is illegal.

clearly a semantic argument

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC

So when it comes to actual tangible differences between "gay marriage is illegal" and what you said there more or less aren't any and you were being a pedantic little grump?

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
there is a distinction between illegality in terms of breaking the law (i.e. a crime against the state), and being prevented by law from making certain associations (i.e. marriage)

Lentern

HSC
there is a distinction between illegality in terms of breaking the law (i.e. a crime against the state), and being prevented by law from making certain associations (i.e. marriage)
There is but the distinction is even smaller than your making out. Illegal does not equate to criminal.

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
There is but the distinction is even smaller than your making out. Illegal does not equate to criminal.
i think you'll find that solemnizing an unlawful marriage is a criminal offence (protip: it has to be, because marriage is not a civil affair). that's one of the many reasons we have common law marriages (i.e. when there is no civil marriage contract or registration), which gays are not excluded from.

Last edited:

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
there isn't a law that says homosexual marriage is legal

saying there is and that it comes from religion is to imply that marriage was previously available to same and opposite sex couples, but religious influence resulted in a deviation from the norm

when clearly, marriage (in the 'government legal arrangment' sense of the word) , has always been between a man and a woman and the fact that it would be unlawful for the state to grant marriage to a same-sex couples isn't because there was a law passed saying that it would be illegal

ie. marriage has had a specific meaning from the start, one which precludes same-sex couples. The reason they are precluded has nothing to do with religiously-influenced laws that regulate marriage, but because of the inherent legal definition of marriage

funkshen

dvds didnt exist in 1991
HSC
N/A
the marriage act was only defined in terms of an association between a man and a woman through amendment in 2004, which inserted into subsection 5(1) "marriage means the union of a man and a woman to the exclusion of all others, voluntarily entered into for life.". its meaning was not actually well defined in the act, so they also had to add at the end of section 88B " marriage has the meaning given by subsection 5(1)." before this, the meaning of marriage was determined by the prevailing socio-political winds; the marriage of man and man, or woman and woman, was not precluded because of inherent legal definition (there was none).

Last edited:

Lentern

HSC
there isn't a law that says homosexual marriage is legal

saying there is and that it comes from religion is to imply that marriage was previously available to same and opposite sex couples, but religious influence resulted in a deviation from the norm

when clearly, marriage (in the 'government legal arrangment' sense of the word) , has always been between a man and a woman and the fact that it would be unlawful for the state to grant marriage to a same-sex couples isn't because there was a law passed saying that it would be illegal

ie. marriage has had a specific meaning from the start, one which precludes same-sex couples. The reason they are precluded has nothing to do with religiously-influenced laws that regulate marriage, but because of the inherent legal definition of marriage
Poppycock.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)