no lab or tut for bio1201 during enrolement? (1 Viewer)

Capulet

UNSW rulz!
when i enroled online it didnt ask me for a tutorial or lab time selection for bio1201, but on the time table on their site for 1st year students (http://www.bees.unsw.edu.au/timetables/Bios1stYrTT.html)

it clearly labels the lab time and tutorials...

whats up with that? please dont tell me i need to change my entire timetable to fit those in....

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
BIOS1201 has a 3 hour lab that you have to fit in. Tutorials come on a CD that you get during your first lab.

sunny

meh.
HSC
You have to go and see the bio people to get the labs done. They're like FCE - don't like having their labs/tutes done on myUNSW for some reason.

Capulet

UNSW rulz!
FCE?

erm... thanks.. i think this means rearranging my time table again. sigh.

sunny

meh.
HSC
FCE - faculty of commerce, you might've read FCE people have had to use TAS (tutorial allocation system) to get their tutes and labs done.

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
When are you meant to do this?

Before or after session 1 starts?

Capulet

UNSW rulz!
well considering they posted the times already, i THINK u go before class chooses and enrole at the BEE office. like manual enrole instead of the online stuff.

sunny

meh.
HSC
Since there are no labs/tutes in first week, you still have up till first week to do it.

I'd suggest you find out the first available time you can do it though - just to get the lab time you want.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Yup, you should go to the Biology Labs in the Biological Sciences building (near the Med Building) on the ground floor - or go to the BEES office which is across the hall from the labs and talk to the lady there.

HSC
This is totally frustrating!!!!!!!!

GRRRRRRRRRRRRRR I HATE THIS STUPID ONLINE ENROLMENT!
Now I have to change my stupid timetable again!!
and by the looks of it I'll be staying back late!!! how annoying!

Capulet

UNSW rulz!
christine said the tutorial are on CD format, i think u can take it home and do them. or do them at the school comps? not sure.

on the bios1201 site under notes it had this:

"practical and tutorial seat assignments must be obtained at the BEES Undergraduate Office , room G27, Biological Sciences Building, on the day of enrolment. The course guide is avalible for purchase during enrolment week. Equipment required for practical classes is listed in the course guide and must be purchased before session starts. students must consult it for details of the course and assessments. the course commences in week 1".

so we need to get those assignments and the equipment b4 week 1?

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
And where to get our Lab coat and experiment kit??? :confused:

sunny

meh.
HSC
You can get lab coats at the Arcade newsagent. I'm not sure about the lab kit, probably when you sign up for your lab - just ask when you get there :)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Thanks sunny! Always helpful!

I already went to the BEES office and enrolled my Lab. Please note that if you haven't enrolled, do it ASAP!!! There is only about 15 or 20 (can't remember) places in each Lab class. Some might be already full. So if you can only fit ONE lab on your timetable from all the possible times, do it quick! (or you might need to adjust your timetable)

About the tutorial, you need to enrol in that during week 1 at G27 (BEES office)

And remember to purchase the manual for Bio1201.

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Lab coats and lab kits are available at the newsagency in the arcade. Lab kits are about $16, lab coats are about $40. You won't need your lab kit until spring session - but you won't be able to take part in labs without a lab coat.

You'll have to buy the lab manual which is about $10-$15 as well. It has lab notes and tutorial notes.

There are about 30-35 places in a lab.

BIOS1201 is mainly microscope work and you'll lose marks for not taking care of your microscope :)

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Hi Christ_ine, Some people told me that the lab coat is $20! not $40.

And also, the reason some people didn't get the Lab coat at the Newsagency is because they wanted to get the Safety glasses as well. Therefore, they told me to wait and get the two together at the Chem faculty. (??)

finally, what is the Lab manual? why is Uni consist so much expenses outside of HECS. *cries*

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Haha, I don't know - I bought my lab coat for around $35.

Just tell them you already have a pair of safety glasses, they can't make you buy them :p

Umm, I have no idea about purchasing things at the Chemistry faculty seeing as I bought everything at the arcade.

The lab manual is a guide for each of your labs every week: an overview (which you have to read for prelab tests), instructions for the lab and worksheets to complete and had in for assesments.

Haha, you're whinging now - just wait until you have to buy the Biology Textbook which is a nice $90+. God forbid if you're doing Chem as well because you have to buy the lab manual and textbook for that, too :|

Survivor39

Premium Member
HSC
Originally posted by christ_ine

The lab manual is a guide for each of your labs every week: an overview (which you have to read for prelab tests), instructions for the lab and worksheets to complete and had in for assesments.

Haha, you're whinging now - just wait until you have to buy the Biology Textbook which is a nice $90+. God forbid if you're doing Chem as well because you have to buy the lab manual and textbook for that, too :|
oh, I bought my Bio1201 manual already. $20 gone.....*sniffs*
I also bought my bio Text. $100 gone.....*sniffs* *sniffs*
Waiting to buy safety glasses and Lab coat....(why don't we need to buy safety glasses?)
Waiting to get Chem Text and manual (how much is the chem text cost?)
Psychology text/manual ($100)
Maths notes and computing pack......($??)

ARGH!

christ_ine

simply because
HSC
Chemistry textbook is about $80ish and the lab manual is about $10. You need safety goggles (and your coat - which you'll also use for bio) for your Chemistry labs otherwise you won't be allowed to participate.

Maths notes and packs are about $20.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)