no maths for med sc? (1 Viewer)

HSC
is maths REALLY needed for a medical science course? (excluding usyd)
it says assumed knowledge, but it doesnt make sense since it's predominantly science based. ==

K4M1N3

HSC
What sciences are you doing now? I'm doing chem and physics and tbh they have various mathematical applications in the course. So im going to go ahead and assume that medical science courses also have mathematical aspects which when not understood correctly could lead to poor understanding of the whole course itself. So i would say maths is a must.

Jaymay

HSC
I feel physics maths is harder than adv maths sometimes :p and for example, astronomy maths can get intense

bitumen

HSC
you have to do maths (well, statistics) in medical science, at unsw anyway. i'm guessing it's the same at other uni's

HSC
What sciences are you doing now? I'm doing chem and physics and tbh they have various mathematical applications in the course. So im going to go ahead and assume that medical science courses also have mathematical aspects which when not understood correctly could lead to poor understanding of the whole course itself. So i would say maths is a must.
im doing 2 unit maths at the moment
im interested in the medical science course, and i've checked it's handbook; however, the only math related aspect is the unit called ' MATH1041 Statistics for Life and Social Sciences' . is that similar to 2 unit math? because im thinking about dropping it

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
thats one of the easiest maths courses unsw offers

if you can do 2u it should be sufficient

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
is maths REALLY needed for a medical science course? (excluding usyd)
it says assumed knowledge, but it doesnt make sense since it's predominantly science based. ==
Are you suggesting science requires little maths/statistics ??

FrozenSky

HSC
It depends on the science. If it's physics then prepare for some crazy maths. If it's chemistry/bio all you need is statistics (which you have not learnt in the hsc).

Medical science doesn't involve much maths, it's just statistics. (Well @ UTS don't know about other unis)

HSC
Are you suggesting science requires little maths/statistics ??
I'm referring to the hsc 2 unit math we do right now. like the whole integration, differentiation, calculus stuff. I know that statistics is covered in med sci but it does not involve any of the calculus topics, right?

x_cp3

HSC
I read somewhere that uni require u to take some units of maths anyways

hungwell1337

HSC
N/A
I'm referring to the hsc 2 unit math we do right now. like the whole integration, differentiation, calculus stuff. I know that statistics is covered in med sci but it does not involve any of the calculus topics, right?
you'll def need calculus in statistics lol

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
It depends on the science. If it's physics then prepare for some crazy maths. If it's chemistry/bio all you need is statistics (which you have not learnt in the hsc).

Medical science doesn't involve much maths, it's just statistics. (Well @ UTS don't know about other unis)
You definitely need Calculus and Matrices stuff for a major in Chemistry and probably Biology too.

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
The techniques of statistics are based on the theory of probability and associated distribution functions. The more theoretical study of statistics is called Mathematical Statistics and involves advanced calculus (measure theory. sigma-algebra, stochastic processes, etc), matrices etc. Often those wanting to apply statistical techniques for the agricultural and social sciences may use the various statistical techniques (regression analysis, analysis of variance, significance tests, experimental design etc etc) without studying the theoretical bases of the subject - as this requires a strong maths background (certainly way beyond NSW HSC 2 unit Advanced)

Anyway - whenever possible it is handy for university courses to have at least 2U Advanced as a minimum, in case you need some maths background for your chosen course.

Last edited:

FrozenSky

HSC
You definitely need Calculus and Matrices stuff for a major in Chemistry and probably Biology too.
Really? I asked the lecturers (UTS) b4 entering into the course whether i needed calculus or not and he said no. Similarly the stuff people are learning in stats doesn't require any calculus-related stuff. Or maybe it's just first year, maybe in 2nd year we'll need calculus?

kaz1

et tu
HSC
Uni Grad
Really? I asked the lecturers (UTS) b4 entering into the course whether i needed calculus or not and he said no. Similarly the stuff people are learning in stats doesn't require any calculus-related stuff. Or maybe it's just first year, maybe in 2nd year we'll need calculus?
I'm talking about a BSc in Chemistry and I imagine they do mathematical modelling in Biology.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)