No motivation for Artwork (1 Viewer)

tess_gee

HSC
Does anyone hate their major work? I am so unmotivated to work on it and it is worth fifty percent. I feel as if I am going to never finish it... I have always worked slowly and methodically and am nowhere near halfway through. I don't want to do anything for it! Does anyone else feel like this? What should I do?
I feel like I have no artistic techniques and my work is really repetitive and boring. Sorry to whinge, but I was just curious to see if anyone else felt like this.. :confused:

sombrero

HSC
I was exactly like that last year when I did my BOW

Go get inspiration! Now. Listen to music, visit art galleries, etc..

I did. Mine even got into art express!

tess_gee

HSC
Oh I just want to cry.. That is fantastic that you got into Art Express. I am doing like post-card sort of things and I have done approximately 5. I need to do 18, and I also have to get them finished extra early because they are going to be presented in a wooden abacus like structure so you can spin them round. What the fuck is my problem? Why can't I just do it?

gibbo153

buff member
HSC
N/A
Oh I just want to cry.. That is fantastic that you got into Art Express. I am doing like post-card sort of things and I have done approximately 5. I need to do 18, and I also have to get them finished extra early because they are going to be presented in a wooden abacus like structure so you can spin them round. What the fuck is my problem? Why can't I just do it?
i hate procrastination when i know that i want to work.

i've found that its kind of to do with placebo, i.e. if you keep thinking you aren't able to work well, you won't. it seems like the most drop dead obvious advice ever, but i've found that times when i'm struggling with it, are just to actually sit down, without even thinking about it, and start work.

you may have a thought like 'ugh i'm not gonna make progress i'll just hit a wall soon' etc, just be mindful that its just a thought, and choose consciously to ignore the thought and to continue working.

its harder with art though i guess =/

tess_gee

HSC
Thanks for your help! Yeah I agree, I think I need to just stop faffing about -- I should literally just sit down at my desk and do it. That's all I have to do. Do it. Not too hard. I think I waft about too much; move around, decide what to do and then get sidetracked by more interesting things. I need to realise that if i don't pull my neck in I am seriously going to ruin the hsc for myself and that will seriously shit me when it's over...

hannahcheeseman

HSC
i was feeling the same with my work about 2 weeks ago now. so i sat down with it, looked at my plans and decided it wasn't going to work and get me the marks by itself. now im doing all this other stuff and I might not even hand in my original stuff. im so excited about my work now cause its fun, new and exciting that I have gotten more done in the past 2 weeks than i had in 2 terms.

if u find a way to get excited by your work and what you are making then you will want to work on it.

SuzWooz

HSC
i feeling the exact same way. My work involves painstaking detail and i have around 17 canvases to do all varying in sizes and thinknesses. I keep wanting to sit down and just work on it, but what is puttine me off is the fact that i dont think all my canvases connect. It is almost as if i have just sat down and drawn, not thinking about what i am doing and what it all means.

I guess i should just get a move on and finish everything, and pray that the end result looks good and what i am trying to protray through my artwork shows. If it doesnt, then im going to be royally screwed!

tess_gee

HSC
i feeling the exact same way. My work involves painstaking detail and i have around 17 canvases to do all varying in sizes and thinknesses. I keep wanting to sit down and just work on it, but what is puttine me off is the fact that i dont think all my canvases connect. It is almost as if i have just sat down and drawn, not thinking about what i am doing and what it all means.

I guess i should just get a move on and finish everything, and pray that the end result looks good and what i am trying to protray through my artwork shows. If it doesnt, then im going to be royally screwed!
Yes this is exactly the same as me... I have to do 18 little card things and this is proving to be a struggle; all of them do not aesthetically relate to each individual concept (a little quote/saying thing). I am so frustrated! It's like I'm hitting a psychological block. I also noticed that you were doing the same majors as me! Society and Art. How is Society going? What are you doing for it?

fallingstar

HSC
your BOW sounds cool. very orignal idea

if you're looking for inspiration, have you seen the post-secret postcards? or foundmagazine website?
also, there is an artist called Leon Pericles who makes little postcards.
John Wolseley has also done some post-card etchings.

hope that helps. just keep pushing the BOW, i know it gets tedious & frustrating but you've got to push past that part, til you see it all coming together.

worst2be

HSC
Yep. I know exactly how you feel. My teacher is making me do 5 portraits of myself representing different parts of my life. I started my first one in December last year and haven't finished it yet. I have NO idea how i'm going to do four more in the amount of time i have. And i have lost ALL motivation. I hate my works. They aren't that good and i just don't want to finish them. I dread going to art now. It sucks.

HSC
Your BOW sounds very cool.... Just think... either way you look at it you HAVE TO DO IT!! Wether it be now...in semi-calm state or when it is the night before nearly having a heartattack and about to keal over and die... it is much better to do it now... get it out of the road, and do a descent job of it , in a semi state! Good luck with it... I have also found, that once i get on a roll it seems to remotivate me... and whizz bang... my work is on schedule(for the time being anyway!)

SuzWooz

HSC
Yes this is exactly the same as me... I have to do 18 little card things and this is proving to be a struggle; all of them do not aesthetically relate to each individual concept (a little quote/saying thing). I am so frustrated! It's like I'm hitting a psychological block. I also noticed that you were doing the same majors as me! Society and Art. How is Society going? What are you doing for it?
Society is sort of driving me crazy at the moment. Too much work from other subjects to really pay attention to it, and i know that is REALLY bad. My PIP is taking a while. How is yours going? What are you doin yours on? Mine is about the implications that womens lives suffer after they have been the victim of acid and kerosene burning. And i am focusing on women in Pakistan.

your BOW sounds really interesting. Mine is about nature and animals. It sounds stupid/simple but im basically showing unity and diversity.... well at least that is what i am trying to show. lets see how it turns out in the end...

Last edited:

tess_gee

HSC
if you're looking for inspiration, have you seen the post-secret postcards? or foundmagazine website?
also, there is an artist called Leon Pericles who makes little postcards.
John Wolseley has also done some post-card etchings.
Thanks heaps! Yeah I have heard of post-secret (that is primarily what I based it on) but I looked up both foundmagazine (which is fantastic) and John Wolsely + Leon Pericles who gave me some good inspiration.. I just need to push through now. I'm aiming to get about 2-3 cards done a week so I can allocate time to get the abacus structure made and the cards (mounted on wood) threaded on to the wire.

Goodluck everyone!

tess_gee

HSC
Society is sort of driving me crazy at the moment. Too much work from other subjects to really pay attention to it, and i know that is REALLY bad. My PIP is taking a while. How is yours going? What are you doin yours on? Mine is about the implications that womens lives suffer after they have been the victim of acid and kerosene burning. And i am focusing on women in Pakistan.
Yours sounds really interesting -- did you find much secondary research on that? And what are you doing for your cross cultural component? Women in Australian society?

Um yeah mine's not really going either.. Have done surveys and am slowly receiving them back in dribs and drabs, and am yet to conduct my interview or start collating my secondary articles for Content Analysis. I don't even know if I have enough articles to do Content Analysis! I think (hopefully) once I sit down and do it I'll be OK. Otherwise I'm fucked..

Goodluck!

bettina44

HSC
Thanks heaps! Yeah I have heard of post-secret (that is primarily what I based it on) but I looked up both foundmagazine (which is fantastic) and John Wolsely + Leon Pericles who gave me some good inspiration.. I just need to push through now. I'm aiming to get about 2-3 cards done a week so I can allocate time to get the abacus structure made and the cards (mounted on wood) threaded on to the wire.

Goodluck everyone!
i was going to the exact thing for my BOW, with the postcards,i had everything planned out in my head and figure it all out when i was in year ten TILL i went to art express at cofa last year and found that someone did the exact same concept, deter me off doing it :(

SuzWooz

HSC
Yours sounds really interesting -- did you find much secondary research on that? And what are you doing for your cross cultural component? Women in Australian society?

Um yeah mine's not really going either.. Have done surveys and am slowly receiving them back in dribs and drabs, and am yet to conduct my interview or start collating my secondary articles for Content Analysis. I don't even know if I have enough articles to do Content Analysis! I think (hopefully) once I sit down and do it I'll be OK. Otherwise I'm fucked..

Goodluck!
Thanks, i at first it was very hard to find much valid information. Turned out that lots of uni kids wanted to write papers on acid victims and put them online. But now im contacting a bunch of foundations who are helping burning victims so my PIP is sort of, very slowly/painfully, moving along.

Yeah by cross-cultural will be about how australian women. Basically im concerntrating on the role of men and women in Australian society and how this differs with that of Pakistan.

Well i wish you luck with both your Art major and PIP!!

I personally cant wait till im done with both of them :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)