No motivation for uni anymore. Advice? (1 Viewer)

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
From my own experience, even if you're in your preferred degree, you'll most likely lose motivation if all you do is study. It's crucial to find greater meaning in your university experience. Extracurricular activities, for example, do just this - you feel as if you're actually doing something (especially societies which are for good causes and where you can make a difference).

If you want to find greater meaning in your university experience, join a society/club which facilitates your passions, interests, etc. Apply for an executive or a subcommittee position. Become a volunteer somewhere. Societies/clubs are great places where you can make close friends (as well as develop personally and professionally).

As Michael Kirby has said, BE A JOINER!

obliviousninja

(╯°□°)╯━︵ ┻━┻ - - - -
HSC
Uni Grad
lost all motivation for uni. and finals is just around the corner.

id just rather spend my days working than going to uni

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
having completed university degree before, I think for me its about finding the balance between study, social life and work. I guess a lot of HSC students coming out of year 12 will have that same motivation that they had in high school. You will slowly see a few students skip lectures, lose motivation, have negative doubts about why they are there and seeing other students pushing themselves to the limit in terms of study.

if you can form a group of friends it will do wonders for your study. I struggled at university back in my home state (it wasn't through lack of effort from behalf), I didn't go to the best high school and had not many people from my high school at university. I just didn't have a good technique in terms of study, studying by myself, not having great social skills. If I reflect back on that time I'd say 1) try to join some social groups 2) if you go to class regularly /tutes regularly strike up a conversation with someone (it could be about anything) 3) if you do go to tutes regularly (other people will also see that you are committed/hard working) and will want to be associated with you 4) if you can get a tutor one-on-one to help you with course material I highly suggest that as well.

A vice-chancellor once told me "if you come to university just for a piece of paper you have missed out. You should come there and embrace the whole student experience. Join some clubs and societies. "

davidgoes4wce

HSC
N/A
It's my first year, second semester at USYD. I'm studying science/nursing but might transfer to just science. My major is computer science.

First semester I pushed myself to work hard. I had a full week; I went to uni 5 days a week, was there most days from 9 - 5 (meaning I'd have to get up at 6:30am and be home by 6:30pm) so by the end of those days I was often very tired but I still pushed myself to do a lot of work at home.

Well, it didn't pay off, and I was very disappointed as I barely scraped 3 credits and a distinction. I guess it's not "bad" but given the amount of effort I put in, it made me feel very discouraged. And I am the type of person who "studies smart" as well, there wasn't a problem there.

Anyway, come semester 2, I have a bit more time. I go 4 days a week, usually get home by 4 or 5pm. However I feel I have lost all motivation. I was initially the type of student who would NEVER skip a lecture, I couldn't imagine letting myself do that. But recently I have been skipping one of my 2 hour lectures. The lecturer has horrible English speaking skills and a very strong accent, I can't understand a word she says. I found the lectures to be pointless, and I became sick of being there for 2 hours spending my energy trying to understand what the heck she was saying. So I started skipping that lecture, and not even trying to catch up. The lecture slides are brief and honestly I need the aid of the lecturer's words but can't understand them! So I guess I'm just hoping I get the info I need from tutorials and readings. Honestly I don't even care anymore, which is weird for me, because I used to be the type of student who might panic in this situation and become very nervous about failing.

I barely study anymore, I mean I still do work most days but it's the bare minimum. Like if I have an online quiz, I'll do that. If I have an assignment, I'll rush through it to get it done. But I don't study as much as I used to nor as much as I should. I'm just studying enough to pass I guess (and that's become my new motto; "Ps get degrees" lol I never thought I'd sink this low).

Basically I come home and am not bothered for anything. I go to uni and I'm not bothered for anything. I cant concentrate in lectures most of the time, my mind is always somewhere else. I don't know if it's laziness or something else.

I don't want it to effect my marks but I can't get myself to have any motivation. I don't think it has hurt my marks yet, but I fear it might. I just have an urge to hurry up and finish uni. I'm sick of it and everyone. I haven't been able to make friends. There is one person in my tutorial that I did make friends with but I don't know if he really cares about me or being friends. He's nice and everything but I feel like he doesn't want a proper long term friendship. it's going to be like all those other people you just meet in tutes and they don't really care about you or care to talk with you and pretend they don't see you when you're not in a tute with them (this happened to me many times). I hate uni and I don't know what I even want to study anymore and everything sucks :'(

Been thinking about this post alot lately, I can relate in a way as I am uncertain about what I want to do in 2016. Received an offer to study at USYD course in 2016 (i have studied a unit here previously) but am not sure if I want to take it. I've done about 8 years of study at university (with 3 degrees) and been tossing up to whether base myself in Sydney for this course , competing this degree would put me on a higher pedestal to my previous qualifications. Feel like I have been burnt a bit from studying and tutoring too much and I have around 1.5-2 days to decide whether I want to take up the offer.

When you have done 8 years of study and around 6 years of tutoring on top of that, my motivation is not the same. (I just came back from a holiday and my mind is in a "flat" mode and picking up a book is turning out to be more like a chore than a want). Thinking of just taking a GAP year to travel before getting back into this course. Advice? Thoughts?

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)