• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

No school, no job, no worries, say kids (1 Viewer)

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
already there,

reading ur Zoo

SashatheMan

StudyforEver
HSC
N/A
The parents should stop giving out money for luxuries. If the flow of money tightens then the kids will have to get a source of income. Hopefully from a paying job rather then selling coke.

yer8899

HSC
Look...We're not all as good as you and your brother. How do you know your brother couldn't be sitting on a HD average if he didn't have casual work? He may not be reaching his full potential, at a time in which your results may mean the diff b/w a position and no position.
- i never said i was good :/
- lol how did this argument about blank failing even though he doesnt have a job come to my brother not reaching his full potential because he works. completely irrelevant and as such i will not even bother arguing

Don't just say because your brother can do it anyone can.
i never did, nor did i imply it. i was merely giving an example of how it its possible to have a job whilst undertaking an engineering degree and still achieve reasonable results

Secondly, surely you would agree that if you live at home whilst attending university (especially in a capital city where you don't really need a car), living expenses are going to be much much less. If your parents consider the level at which your achieving satisfactory, and are trying to support you ( ie. give you some money) so that you don't need a casual job and can maintain your standard of result then why not?
yes im not going to deny that but i dont agree with getting money off your parents when youre not working. all it will do is increase the time it takes to find employment as the person will think there is 'no rush' to find a job as they are recieving a continous stream of funds from their parents. obviously blanks standard of results (the results this argument is based on) are unsatisfactory so this argument is invalid

Omie (or others, sorry omie im trying to exclude your name from this disagreement) differ from these degenerates in that he's studying at a tertiary level (and a degree which is very time consuming), they are the ones doing fuck all. Most of these people don't know what there doing for the future, no goals. Engineers, on the other hand, are one of the most sought after people, so theres plenty of time for jobs after they graduate.

I suppose i don't know you so i retract calling you "dull" & apologise but jeez...
yes its good that blanks studying at a tertiary level but...

so you're saying that it is alright to be unproductive at uni, wasting time and money on failing/barely scraping through, as opposed to getting a job. that is close to if not worse than doing absolutely nothing.
also blanks unsatisfactory results is representative of having no goals and not knowing what to do in the future, and im pretty sure blank has said this in the past

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Lol are you serious?

Funny, how in other threads you have called trying to achieve personal happiness as 'revoltingly selfish', and that any task should be undertaken only for "human ends".

yet when something is done for the practically indistinguishable goal (from happiness) of "spiritual nourishment" (wtf lol), then it's nothing short of a noble undertaking, in your eyes.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Funny, how in other threads you have called trying to achieve personal happiness as 'revoltingly selfish', and that any task should be undertaken only for "human ends".

yet when something is done for the practically indistinguishable goal (from happiness) of "spiritual nourishment" (wtf lol), then it's nothing short of a noble undertaking, in your eyes.
Artistic endevours nourish everyone when they uphold the universal values of goodness truth and beauty, faith love and hope etc. They live on, inspiring generation after generation. This is distinguished from, like, the drug addict scoring his hits in some alley. His pleasure is fleeting, false and destructive. Art is life-affirming, communal and eternal.

politik

HSC
Everyone needs to get free money from the government it's great.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Artistic endevours nourish everyone when they uphold the universal values of goodness truth and beauty, faith love and hope etc. They live on, inspiring generation after generation. This is distinguished from, like, the drug addict scoring his hits in some alley. His pleasure is fleeting, false and destructive. Art is life-affirming, communal and eternal.

Fair enough, but you're basically saying that it's a good thing because my achieving personal 'nourishment' that everyone else benefits, so it's all good.

However, when I apply this philosophy to something other than art, for example in the "does arbeit macht frei?" thread, you don't agree with it.

Say I was to start up a business in order to make as much money as possible, and not for human ends, other people are "nourished", in that I develop new products etc for people to achieve nourishment, and I create wealth and jobs in my community.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
You mean that the good you do unto others is merely an unintended by-product of your natural greed? No, I dont think that that really works. You have to have an eye on the greater good, always.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
You mean that the good you do unto others is merely an unintended by-product of your natural greed? No, I dont think that that really works. You have to have an eye on the greater good, always.

But come on, these people who attain "spiritual nourishment" are doing it for themselves, not for their community.
The unintended by-products are entirely comparible imo.

I'm not saying that greedy business men should be celebrated for their morality, but it's just seems a little hypocritical for praising otehrs who are essentially the same.

Iron

Ecclesiastical Die-Hard
HSC
Well I did distinguish artists. Clearly, there are artists who play to our demons rather than angels and these death-affirming instincts can be just as destructive to audiences as the greedy businessman is to consumers and workers. However the good artist will find the true and lasting power of the eternal truths of love and hope etc.
If ego is at the center, then it is doomed to fail. Rather we should look to the enduring, external and universal truths which sustain us even in poverty or slavery, pain or sickness.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)