Nokia N93 vs. N80 vs. N73 vs. E70 (1 Viewer)

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
seremify007 said:
I also didn't realise Next-G was 3.5G... thought it was just their way of branding their traditional 3G service, much like how they tried to flog i-mode as being almost 3G.

Anyhow, I think it's come down to N80 vs N93 purely because I realised how important wifi is. After thinking some more about it, the N93 seems to be only good for the (video) camera and swivel screen, and TVoutput- after using my D600 (also with TVoutput) and realising I don't really need such a feature, I think the extra size is too much of a negative to survive with the video camera and swivel screen.

Conclusion: N80 Internet Edition

Thanks for all your help guys! And thanks for not hijacking my thread Supra.
no worries man...

So is wifi just internet? I never really knew about mobile internet, coz id never need it :p

knuxed

HSC
N/A
Currently using a Nok E70 and all i can say is i love it.Pair it with BB and its heavenly.The keyboard is great though it takes some getting used to and also,the browser has some memory issues.Hence,u cant surf heavy graphical websites

mr_brightside

frakfrakfrakcackmackshack
HSC
Supra said:
no worries man...

So is wifi just internet? I never really knew about mobile internet, coz id never need it :p
wifi is the technology used to create wireless networks.

So for example, if you have a wifi enabled phone, you could;
browse the internet via a wlan
browse and share files with other devices on the wlan

so if you have wireless setup at home this would be cool. also in places with free wifi access you could browse the internet from your phone.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for all the tips guys. Ended up buying both N93 and N73 since they were both pretty good phones.

The N93 is going very well- the camera isn't as good as I thought it'd be (it only works at it's best with decent light), but it's still better than most, and the video (for a phone) is unparalleled. The wifi is good as after some tweaking, I can still connect to my WEP router and surf the net with pop3 email enabled (it checks my email for me and makes a noise when I get something), it can apparently share media over the network using uPnP and connect to your media centre but I'm too lazy to install all the software required since I don't have a real media centre... the phone feels pretty fast and it's also quite good to use it with the screen open sideways (like on the tv advertisement) where it's good for surfing the net in widescreen or just reading emails.

... and despite how big it is, it isn't "unusable" big. It feels very solid.

As for the N73, it feels like the N70 to me. Typical s60 device but very well designed/balanced. Haven't really played with it much but it's very light (relative) and the build quality is also good.

mr_brightside

HSC
seremify007 said:
Thanks for all the tips guys. Ended up buying both N93 and N73 since they were both pretty good phones.

The N93 is going very well- the camera isn't as good as I thought it'd be (it only works at it's best with decent light), but it's still better than most, and the video (for a phone) is unparalleled. The wifi is good as after some tweaking, I can still connect to my WEP router and surf the net with pop3 email enabled (it checks my email for me and makes a noise when I get something), it can apparently share media over the network using uPnP and connect to your media centre but I'm too lazy to install all the software required since I don't have a real media centre... the phone feels pretty fast and it's also quite good to use it with the screen open sideways (like on the tv advertisement) where it's good for surfing the net in widescreen or just reading emails.

... and despite how big it is, it isn't "unusable" big. It feels very solid.

As for the N73, it feels like the N70 to me. Typical s60 device but very well designed/balanced. Haven't really played with it much but it's very light (relative) and the build quality is also good.
...you bought both?

...why?

I ended up getting the N80. Takes some mean photo's.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
mr_brightside said:
...you bought both?

...why?
Got it for my sister's Christmas present.

mr_brightside said:
I ended up getting the N80. Takes some mean photo's.
That photo came out really well IMO. Considering there's no AF in the N80 (one of the reasons why I figured N73 > N80; and that my sister would probably use camera much more than wifi), that shot is really nicely done. Do most of your N80's photos come out that well focussed/balanced?

mr_brightside

HSC
seremify007 said:
Got it for my sister's Christmas present.
Fair enough!

That photo came out really well IMO. Considering there's no AF in the N80 (one of the reasons why I figured N73 > N80; and that my sister would probably use camera much more than wifi), that shot is really nicely done. Do most of your N80's photos come out that well focussed/balanced?
Yeah, I honestly would have preferred the N73 for its AF and manual shutter. Most of the photo's are pretty good in terms of colour balance, except for one for two where there has been to much light and dark in the one shot and has messed around with it a bit. The focus isn't really an issue unless your up close and then the macro feature isnt great.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
mr_brightside said:
Yeah, I honestly would have preferred the N73 for its AF and manual shutter. Most of the photo's are pretty good in terms of colour balance, except for one for two where there has been to much light and dark in the one shot and has messed around with it a bit. The focus isn't really an issue unless your up close and then the macro feature isnt great.
I think in general, Nokia phones aren't very good at taking photos compared to SonyEricsson. Even with Carl Zeiss backing the lens, with or without AF, the photos aren't as nice looking as the SonyEricsson K800i when there isn't sufficient light (ie. indoors/night time); not to say that the K800i is that great either. Today did a direct comparison in a shop with N93 to the K800i, and the N93's screen is much clearer and the colours look a lot nicer (vivid perhaps?)... but then this was in a very brightly lit shop.

mr_brightside

HSC
seremify007 said:
I think in general, Nokia phones aren't very good at taking photos compared to SonyEricsson. Even with Carl Zeiss backing the lens, with or without AF, the photos aren't as nice looking as the SonyEricsson K800i when there isn't sufficient light (ie. indoors/night time); not to say that the K800i is that great either. Today did a direct comparison in a shop with N93 to the K800i, and the N93's screen is much clearer and the colours look a lot nicer (vivid perhaps?)... but then this was in a very brightly lit shop.
Definetly agree. SE's pwn in imaging. I just wanted a S60 phone, instead of the k800i platform.

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
I like the N-Series, a 3.2 MP camera and a good music player attracts me, but the price repels me, the appearance is sexy nonetheless. Very chic phone.

AND I CAN BET 100% BREAKING WILL COME IN AND START TALKING SHIT ABOUT ME TAKING PHOTOS OF FEMALES WITHOUT PERMISSION.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
mr_brightside said:
Definetly agree. SE's pwn in imaging. I just wanted a S60 phone, instead of the k800i platform.
Definitely. I'm not a fan of the SE interface normally (as I've posted many times), but I'm a huge fan of s60 in general. I love it, and with the new 3rd edition, there are heaps of improvements over the previous s60 phones I've owned (3650 and 7610).

However... the only thing which really annoys me is the lack of software available for the 3rd edition of s60. All the good ol' stopwatch programs, IR remote, games, etc... no longer work >< Such a pain- but I guess this means my 2gb miniSD can be used for photos/videos/music rather than just... games.

f3nr15 said:
I like the N-Series, a 3.2 MP camera and a good music player attracts me, but the price repels me, the appearance is sexy nonetheless. Very chic phone.

AND I CAN BET 100% BREAKING WILL COME IN AND START TALKING SHIT ABOUT ME TAKING PHOTOS OF FEMALES WITHOUT PERMISSION.
Only problem is that it's not that subtle- you need a phone which you can hold like a normal phone, pretending to have conversation... whilst really, using the camera mode!... and I'm not sure if it's automatic or not, but I can't believe you even bothered to link to breaking's profile in your post!

Forbidden.

Banned
HSC
seremify007 said:
Definitely. I'm not a fan of the SE interface normally (as I've posted many times), but I'm a huge fan of s60 in general. I love it, and with the new 3rd edition, there are heaps of improvements over the previous s60 phones I've owned (3650 and 7610).

However... the only thing which really annoys me is the lack of software available for the 3rd edition of s60. All the good ol' stopwatch programs, IR remote, games, etc... no longer work >< Such a pain- but I guess this means my 2gb miniSD can be used for photos/videos/music rather than just... games.

Only problem is that it's not that subtle- you need a phone which you can hold like a normal phone, pretending to have conversation... whilst really, using the camera mode!... and I'm not sure if it's automatic or not, but I can't believe you even bothered to link to breaking's profile in your post!
At least your reply was constructive, breaking has been a long term problem to me so that's why I linked.

z600

Sigh.....
HSC
I looked through all the N models. I always used SE but they just got some dodgy and screws up too often. I got myself a N80 and it absolutely kicksass. The N90s were too chunky and too expensive. Not paying an extra 200 bucks just for carl zeiss lense.... And since i like slide and flip phones and a good camera, N80 was a shoe in. So far everything is great cept for the battery life.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
N90 (IMO) had serious issues- most noticeable was the lack of vibration mode. However, it was the first in the line of what I call "concept phones turned reality" from Nokia.

As shown above, the N80 photos look quite good but I think without autofocus, it does limit their usefulness in the 2mp+ range.

Supra

secksy beast
HSC
ive had a look at contracts...33 bux a month for n73 on soul; 40 bux a month for same phone on virgin (after 6 motnhs its 20 bux a month).

None of these are the music edition (black) though.

B35tY

HSC
Is n73 Music Ed out yet? I'd consider it if it had a 3.5mm jack, but AFAIK it's still pop-port.

A phone with pop-port will never be a "music" phone IMO.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
n73 ftw
the only thing is that the software is kinda slow, can get frustr8ing at times, but its not all that bad. just not as fast as a non symbian phone like the 6230 or whatever.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
but the interface is so good. i used to have a symbian phone then i changed to a sonyericsson and i realised how much i took so many of just the simple little features if offers for granted.

breaking

paint huffing moron
HSC
here is a photo i took (resized) from the n73. the flash is pretty gay but as long as yr taking photos in light, the pics are FANTASTIC.

taken from the balcony of the hotel room at the latest bos meat

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)