Non Award - Languages Question (1 Viewer)

baka

***el, idiot.
HSC
hey people

can someone verify this

to do languages u have to have a min. of 60 UAI

and u cannot apply for language NON AWARD courses mid year?

thanks

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
http://www.coe.mq.edu.au/nonawd.htm

NON-AWARD STUDY

The Non-Award study program is managed by the Centre for Open Education.
GENERAL INFORMATION

Non-award enrolment is available in undergraduate and postgraduate units on a tuition-fee-paying basis. Students enrol in one or more University units (subjects), undertaking a study load at a pace that suits their needs.

* pursue a new interests for general personal development
* participate in professional development and extension by upgrading or learning new skills
* pathway into a degree program, either
* BA, BSc, BEd(Early Childhood), after the completion of at least 12 credit points, with an overall grade point average of 2.0 or better for all the credit points attempted
* OR BA-Psychology or BSc–Psychology after the completion of at least 12 credit points, with an overall grade point average of 2.5 or better for all the credit points attempted.

Enrolment at the University in single units is named non-award because a student is not currently enrolled for an award, that is, a degree, diploma or certificate program at Macquarie University. The credit-point value of Non-award units successfully completed can be included in a Macquarie degree at a later time.

Most units are half-year (single semester) units. Some are offered in the evening and/or by distance study.

An application for each unit will be assessed by Department/s offering the unit, in order to determine whether an applicant has sufficient academic background to manage the work required for that unit. If a unit has specific prerequisites (study which must be completed, or a requirement that must be satisfied before enrolment in that unit is permitted), verified documentation must be provided to enable a decision to be made.
Application does not guarantee enrolment in a unit.
Contact the Centre:

In person – Level 1, Building X5B, Macquarie University. The entrance to the Centre is on the south-eastern corner of the building, next to the W4 carpark.

Campus Map

By phone - 02 9850 7470

By fax – 02 9850 7480

By email – coe@mq.edu.au
The Centre’s hours are:

During teaching periods: 9.00am to 7.30pm, Mon-Thursday, 9.00am to 5.00pm Friday and 8.00am to 11.00am Saturdays (excluding Easter, Queen’s Birthday and Labour Day weekends)

At other times: Monday to Friday 9.00am to 5.00pm

IMPORTANT NON-AWARD DATES 2005-2006

18 November 2005: Closing date for first round of 2006 non-award applications

27 January 2006: Closing date for second round of 2006 non-award applications

10 February 2006: Final closing date for late 2006 applications (with $100 late fee). No more first semester or full-year applications will be accepted after this date

24 February 2006: First semester fees due

27 February 2006: classes commence

31 March 2006: Last date by which a first half-year or full-year unit may be discontinued without academic penalty and be eligible for refund of tuition fees.

16 June 2006: Closing date for second half-year non-award applications

14 July 2006: Closing date for late second half-year non-award applications (with $100 late fee). No more second semester applications will be accepted after this date

28 July 2006: Second semester fees due

31 July 2006: Second half year classes commence

31 August 2006: Last date by which a second half-year unit may be discontinued without academic penalty and be eligible for refund of tuition fees.
17 November 2006: Closing date for first round of 2006 non-award applications
http://www.coe.mq.edu.au/home/pdf/webunitsuai.pdf

Department of Asian Languages
Department of European Languages
Entry to the units below offered by the Department of Asian Languages is subject to a
minimum UAI of 60.00 for 2005 and previous HSC students, or a minimum age of 25
for other applicants.

baka

***el, idiot.
HSC
oh thanks i didnt see the bottom bit. THANK U!

X

xeuyrawp

baka said:
hey people

can someone verify this

to do languages u have to have a min. of 60 UAI

and u cannot apply for language NON AWARD courses mid year?

thanks
You generally need to start a language at the beginning of the year as they usually have, say Japanese for Beginners I in first semester and Japanese for Beginners II in second semester. They usually don't have Japanese for Beginners I in second semester.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Unless you already satisfy a relevant level :)

baka

***el, idiot.
HSC
oh i see
i dont satisfy the uai requirements
fucking hell

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
If you want to bypass the UAI requirements, you could always apply for the CertLang instead(which has options to upgrade to a DipLang or BA) which has HECS places as well - only catch would be you'd need to apply for 07 enrollment rather than midsession.

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
baka said:
oh i see
i dont satisfy the uai requirements
fucking hell
Can I ask what are you looking to get into post-non award?

If you're trying to get into a BA or otherwise, then you could investigate doing other units which don't require a UAI. The catch is, that you'll most likely find these very challenging and may end up failing. I say this under the assumption of your low UAI, please don't take offence to it, and I don't know your full story, you may have gone through some particular events.

If not, you could investigate the CertLang option, but that's only for yearly acceptance.

If you could give us more information we could try and help you out more specifically with your situation :)

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
Unless you already satisfy a relevant level :)
Whilst you can, don't do it without hesitation. Real x language =/= HSC x language =/= uni x language. If you've spent time in x country, you know the real language, not the academic version. If you've done it in the HSC, you've done the contrived, simplified version. Etc, etc.

My friend was doing a first-sem level Japanese unit (ie, first semester first year), and in about the 5th week, he was doing all these verbal structures that I'd never come across. Although he hand't progressed anywhere near 3U Japanese in terms of substance, they were doing something I've never done.

If you've 'satisfied' the relevant level, why not do it in first semester and breeze through it? (Baka - sorry, this isn't relevant to you).

Anyway, my point is that you need to be careful when it comes to languages - they're a real, practical thing, but the Macquarie syllabus may require you to have studied it before at Macquarie.

I'm not saying a student shouldn't enter at their level, but I'm just saying to be cautious with it. Maybe if you think you'd be good enough to do second semester of third-year Japanese, go into first semester of third year. *shrugs*

Last edited by a moderator:
X

xeuyrawp

Also - talking with the convener would probably be good, just so they know where you're coming from.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)