Non-Award Study - anyone do it? (1 Viewer)

buddys

HSC
Its a bit late.

I guess ill have to wait and speak to the COE on Monday.

Hopefully something can be worked out.

Thanks for your help!

X

xeuyrawp

buddys said:
Its a bit late.

I guess ill have to wait and speak to the COE on Monday.

Hopefully something can be worked out.

Thanks for your help!
What's a bit late?

I don't think the applications for non-award have closed yet...

buddys

HSC
no, i dont think they have...but those were my marks

i got a F in stat and a D in isys

so ill have to see what COE says

buddys

HSC
hey, i emailed COE and i received this email:

If you have failed a unit it is possible to continue in non award study.
However you have to increase you grades to above a pass level. ie if you
obtain 3 Passes and a fail you would have to either do 2 units and gain 2
credits or 1 unit and gain a Distinction to replace the fail grade. It is
possible to re do the unit you failed provided it's offered in 1st
semester.

So yeah, thats a weight off my shoulders, at least i can continue and make sure my next two units are at least a credit.

thanks for your help PwarYuex! :)

X

xeuyrawp

buddys said:
hey, i emailed COE and i received this email:

If you have failed a unit it is possible to continue in non award study.
That's so random... I swear that, when I went to Open Day 2004 with my friend, non-award allowed no failures.

Anyway, it seems that you need a GPA of 2 (pass average), which I thought you needed *as well as* all passes +.

I'm glad you can continue, though :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Either its been changed or whatnot, but yes, you can fail up to 2 subjects before the enrolment is ceased.

Skittled

What did the crab do?
HSC
buddys said:
I failed Stat170, but got a D in Isys123.
Can anyone help??
From what I've heard (will know more at the end of this coming week), I believe the official line is they can (but don't HAVE TO) cut your study if you fail a single unit... however, I got the impression that's flexible and probably more along the lines of two. That's just an impression I got, though, and the official line is one fail can, potentially be the end of it. Don't want to scare you, but don't want to sugar-coat that which you need to know, either.

PwarYuex said:
What does the day exactly constitute? Do people go around to stalls or something? Are there lectures?
Essentially it seems like it's similar to open day; there're lectures on how to do your university preferences, explanation of internal/external transfers (ie through TAFE, etc)... things like that. Generally only to do with the process of being accepted to MQ, rather than trying to sell it or to help people choose what they want to do there. I've got a little booklet, and generally all it gives is a list of the scholarships, the associations that MQ has (ie with North Ryde TAFE, a few hospitality schools, etc), a list of a few lectures, and... that's about it, it seems. Must admit I've got no really firm explanation as to what it is; it's just to help people get to MQ that think (becuse the acceptances for the main round aren't done by the 4th) they don't have a high enough UAI yet.

God tha'ts a long winded and badly structured answer, but it'll have to do: I'm buggered!

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
So yeah working all day, haha damn another sub 6am start :(

fb07

HSC
how much is a gpa of 2.0 .. say in percentage? about 65ish?

and also .. how is mq? as in the students and such.. is it a generally friendly atmosphere or what? or is there a thread about this already..?

Last edited:

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
A gpa of 2.0 = pass.

so 50-64 mark.

It is a friendly atmosphere, very laid back, and whilst the campus could be better, you'll get used to it, and maybe even grow to like some parts :)

fb07

HSC
thanks!
also as i understand it and correct me if im wrong,
once a year of non award is completed then you go into 2nd year BA the next year you study at uni
so second year courses .. does that mean all the courses your offered are first year? or should we be careful bout choosing
sounds like a pretty obvious question but im paranoid

X

xeuyrawp

fb07 said:
thanks!
also as i understand it and correct me if im wrong,
once a year of non award is completed then you go into 2nd year BA the next year you study at uni
so second year courses
You could do all 'second year' subjects in your second year, but you find that many second-year students still do a few first-year subjects. :)

.. does that mean all the courses your offered are first year?
Whilst you can actually do more than first-year units non-award, all the ones in the booklet are for first-year. First-year units generally start with a '1', ie POL132, PHIL137, MATH131 are all first-year unts; PHIL232, LAW243, AHST243 are all second-year units.

or should we be careful bout choosing
Still be careful. :)

Look at what you think you will do well in; read the descriptions of the subjects, and post up what units you're looking at, so we can talk with you about them.

If you're not crash-hot at maths, stay away from mathematical subjects -- economics (ECON), math (MATH), statistics (STAT), etc.

-----------

But yeah, post up what units you're looking at; I'm sure you'd find (multiple) opinions of most first-year subjects here. :)

fb07

HSC
Thanks a lot! i absolutely suck at maths and am hoping that it never crosses my path for the rest of my life.

I was thinking about the following ..
AHST100
AHST104
HIST112
POL168
ANTH150
PHIL131
PHIL132
SOC175

thats my initial list.. There's actually some really interesting courses.. especially the ancient history/politics ones. What do you think of them? Also, i know we only need 12 units which is like 4 subjects right... Do you think i should just take four or more?

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Take 4 to see how you gauge the uni workload, and then you can always take them up once you get into your course :)

X

xeuyrawp

fb07 said:
Thanks a lot! i absolutely suck at maths and am hoping that it never crosses my path for the rest of my life.
Me too! I hate doing things I suck at. :(

I was thinking about the following ..
AHST100
Several things about this subject: If you're not interested in ancient history, you won't be interested in it at all (obviously). Furthermore, I think you'd have to enjoy Egyptian history to do well at it -- note that the subject is totally about archaeology, and not history. It sounds strange, but you look at the primary evidence only; themes include pottery, architecture, and burials.

You start at what's called 'pre-Dynastic Egypt', the time before the Pharaohs. The convener, Christiana Koehler, loves this period. I thought it was boring when we first started it (read: these people were cave men), but I really enjoyed it. The lectures are early in the morning, and go for two hours. You really need to go to lectures and tutes, otherwise you'll miss out on really important content.

The assesments are very straight-forward, but I found the exam hard to study for. It's a lot of work, I think.

If you come on msn, I can show you my assignments, so you get a rough idea of what you're assesed on.

This unit looks fascinating. Gillet is apparently a really good lecturer. I think I might pick it up, too! :)

This unit is fantastic. Was definitely the most enjoyable unit I did in first semester. Marnie Hughes-Warrington, the convener, is a really engaging lecturer. She gets in a bunch of guests to speak and makes it really straight-forward.

She assumes that you've never done any study of history and goes at a really good pace for everybody.

I would definitely recommend it; it has no exam, but rather another assesment. Very straight-forward.

I think that's talked about in another thread...

Don't know anything about it... Need help on this one:)

I'm not a fan of philosophy...

I did that in first semester. Surprisingly, it was my best subject. I would recommend doing it if you like something very argumentative/english/debating based.

I loved the lecturer, Nick Smith, but Monte, my tutor, sucked. He was really boring, he didn't lead the conversation at all, and he was a terrible marker.

I would recommend changing tutorials if you end up in a tute with Monte.

I thought the subject was interesting, but the readings sometimes killed me. You had to do your readings for every tutorial, or you'd look like an ass if the tutor asked you something.

The essays were straight-forward, with a range to chose from. The exam wasn't worth much, and was hence pretty short.

Don't know, again, I'm affraid.

thats my initial list.. There's actually some really interesting courses.. especially the ancient history/politics ones.
Yes, they all do look interesting! I was considering doing a SOC or POL one, but I didn't have room. :(

Also, i know we only need 12 units which is like 4 subjects right... Do you think i should just take four or more?
You wouldn't take more than three a semester. I would actually recommend taking only two a semester, if your school marks weren't too crash-hot. Having one subject less makes a big difference to your marks. :)

I would lock in HIST112, though, it's great. :)

We need a few more people to talk about the other POL, SOC, and PHIL units.

fb07

HSC
AsyLum said:
Take 4 to see how you gauge the uni workload, and then you can always take them up once you get into your course :)
Yeah that's what i had in mind..

PwarYuex..

I'm pretty interested in ancient history and was doing considerably well. The thing is, i would say egypt would be my lesser liked subjects but i can still do it. So i should probably pass huh? I wouldn't mind looking at assessments and such .. sounds good.

AHST104 .. Same here in fact i think i might write that down the only thing im worried about is.. i do have a rough understanding of that period but its not heaps good is that gonna matter in uni?

She assumes that you've never done any study of history and goes at a really good pace for everybody.
ok that makes me unbelievably relieved

I'm thinking i might mix AHST, HIST, POL and either PHIL or ANTH

thanks a bunch for your help guys :)

fb07

HSC
oh and about my marks they were all 80's and 70's but i think i'll stick to only 4 subjects..

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
Try AHST103 for rome?

High school marks are very different to uni marks :)

X

xeuyrawp

fb07 said:
Yeah that's what i had in mind..

PwarYuex..

I'm pretty interested in ancient history and was doing considerably well. The thing is, i would say egypt would be my lesser liked subjects but i can still do it. So i should probably pass huh? I wouldn't mind looking at assessments and such .. sounds good.
Well add me to msn; rob.p@optusnet.com.au, and I'll show you what we talk about.

The subject is really different in that we just look at evidence, and not the 'history'... It's more what you'd call 'social history' of Egypt.

AHST104 .. Same here in fact i think i might write that down the only thing im worried about is.. i do have a rough understanding of that period but its not heaps good is that gonna matter in uni?
Late antiquity is FASCINATING! Trust me, it'll be heaps good. :D Things are much more fun at uni.

I'm thinking i might mix AHST, HIST, POL and either PHIL or ANTH
Sounds like a plan. :)

Oh yeah, Asylum's right -- do Rome :)

oh and about my marks they were all 80's and 70's but i think i'll stick to only 4 subjects..
Yep, do 2 subjects a semester if you're not sure; that way, you know you can ace it. I would personally recommend not doing AHST100 if you're not sure about it, I think there are more fun first-year units that you can do. You can always do it later, if you're interested in Egypt.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)