Non-Award Study - anyone do it? (1 Viewer)

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
ahst100 was great but, as rob said (though i will emphasise more, because robs very good at anc. history so if he says its quite hard then its pure hell for anyone else), the end of year exam consists of 3 (or was it 4?) essays and it is incredibly hard to study for because you have to know enough from a 3 (or was it 4) time periods. I remember in the exam a girl next to me started to get upset to the point where she was about to cry (the supervisor went up to her to calm her down), and i dont blame her, because the essay questions are quite specific and its only because i previously knew stuff from Anc. Egptian history that i went ok in it. Its definitely not a bludgy elective (actually, no ahst unit that i have done is), and a unit that you will need to put serious time into.

Phil131 i found was a great subject, though the concepts got quite hard near the end. Best bits were at the beginning when you get to study the anc. Greek philosophies. I think i enjoyed it more because i had a very good tutor who got everyone involved. The readings are great and the only exam is worth 20%, but the questions are very straight forward and not too hard.

X

xeuyrawp

Cyan_phoeniX said:
ahst100 was great but, as rob said (though i will emphasise more, because robs very good at anc. history so if he says its quite hard then its pure hell for anyone else), the end of year exam consists of 3 (or was it 4?) essays and it is incredibly hard to study for because you have to know enough from a 3 (or was it 4) time periods. I remember in the exam a girl next to me started to get upset to the point where she was about to cry (the supervisor went up to her to calm her down), and i dont blame her, because the essay questions are quite specific and its only because i previously knew stuff from Anc. Egptian history that i went ok in it. Its definitely not a bludgy elective (actually, no ahst unit that i have done is), and a unit that you will need to put serious time into.
A girl started crying in my room, as well.

That exam was so hard. There are 3 periods (pre-Dynastic, Old and Middle Kingdoms, and New Kingdom), and you really need to do your stuff.

Our paper asked something about Petrie's typography/typology. I seriously knew nothing about it.

You're totally right in that it's not a bludgy elective; the only bludge AHST unit is AHST101.

Because the unit ignores Egyptian 'history', I'd recommend either waiting a year, and doing it with AHST261 (intro to egyptian history), if you haven't done any Egyptian stuff before.

fb07

HSC
PwarYuex said:
Well add me to msn; rob.p@optusnet.com.au, and I'll show you what we talk about.

The subject is really different in that we just look at evidence, and not the 'history'... It's more what you'd call 'social history' of Egypt.

Late antiquity is FASCINATING! Trust me, it'll be heaps good. :D Things are much more fun at uni.

Sounds like a plan. :)

Oh yeah, Asylum's right -- do Rome :)

Yep, do 2 subjects a semester if you're not sure; that way, you know you can ace it. I would personally recommend not doing AHST100 if you're not sure about it, I think there are more fun first-year units that you can do. You can always do it later, if you're interested in Egypt.
ok done
I thought about doing Rome, i did it in ancient and went pretty well too got high 90s for my assessment on Claudius, the thing is im not particularly interested in it.

Cyan_phoeniX said:

Phil131 i found was a great subject, though the concepts got quite hard near the end. Best bits were at the beginning when you get to study the anc. Greek philosophies. I think i enjoyed it more because i had a very good tutor who got everyone involved. The readings are great and the only exam is worth 20%, but the questions are very straight forward and not too hard.
Wow she nearly cried .. ok i dont think its for me .. i mean as i said egypt is ok but not to that extent

Do you mean it gets harder when you start going into Freud, Sartre etc. cause I'm a bit worried about that too... I remember trying to read some of my brothers uni readings, some stuff Freud wrote and thinking what the hell is he saying and why is he repeating himself.. still it looks interesting. Now i gotta decide between phil131 and phil132 cause i definitely want to do one of them.

I think im definitely gonna leave egypt out for the moment .. I mean we only did one period and that broke me to bits and i went nuts trying to remember everything.. antiquity's heirs it is :)

AsyLum

Premium Member
HSC
N/A
132 is more ethics based
131 is more metaphysics based

Cyan_phoeniX

HSC
N/A
For phil131 you have to do 2 essays, and the topics are quite straightforward (the type where you can go well if you do lots of other readings yet you dont necessarily have to understand the official readings-that is, you can look for other, more straight forward, readings). In terms of the actual readings, which will be required to get good marks in the 20% final exam and 10% tut participation, you need to know the main concepts. Now that i think of it, i think i learned so much of the concepts because i had a really good tutor who went through it all in tut (in plain english) yet still asked questions that you would know if you read the readings but did not understand most of the more complex concepts. If you do phil131 try and get the tutor i got, i think his name was Damian.

X

xeuyrawp

AsyLum said:
132 is more ethics based
131 is more metaphysics based
IMO, metaphysics is much more interesting and philosophically important. But that's just my opinion.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)