• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

NoOoOoOoOoOoOoOoO!!!!! (1 Viewer)

HSC
Stevens set to hand Thorpe his spot

By Roy Masters
April 14, 2004

Craig Stevens is expected to announce in the next few days that he will surrender his place in the 400m freestyle at the Athens Olympics to Ian Thorpe.

Stevens became the accidental anti-hero of the Australian selection trials after Thorpe's false start in the heats of his pet event last month. The AIS swimmer went on to qualify for Athens along with Grant Hackett and subsequently became the focus of every talkback radio show in Australia.

At the time, Stevens refused to speculate on whether he would surrender the spot as he had to concentrate on qualifying for the 1500m. However, it is understood his aim before the trials had been to swim in the 4x200m freestyle relay at Athens and to win a medal in the 1500m. The 400m was not expected to be part of his plans.

It is believed media organisations are competing for an exclusive announcement from Stevens.

If Stevens does surrender his spot, Australian Swimming selectors will have to choose a swimmer already on the Olympic team to take his place. That will obviously be Thorpe, the Olympic and world champion, who has not been beaten in the event in seven years.

HeCtic

Dutchie
HSC
god, why would ou give up what you've worked so hard to earn? at least he qualifed for other events there

MouNtY

i don't think he should have given up his spot either. he workrd hard to get it and he should keep it. i don't that the decision was totally hid own, he would have been influenced by people besides his family and friends eg. media. and if that is the case he shouldn't give it up, but then i still think he should keep his spot.

HSC
yeah..agree
but he wasn't really in it for the 400m...like he said "his aim before the trials had been to swim in the 4x200m freestyle relay at Athens and to win a medal in the 1500m. The 400m was not expected to be part of his plans"

but i reckon he should of given it a go instead of just giving it up

neo o

it's coming to me...
HSC
The pressure would have been hard on him to give up the position. Also considering now that he has an extra event he needs to train for, but yeah, if he really does give up his place itd be a shame :(

^___^
HSC
haha..aussie style

what was the point of olympic trial anyway if ppl are gonna get uptight if thorpe dun get the spot

seriously...shows how corrupt the team is :p and they whinge about wanting more money given into that sport when the female hockey team paid for everything...

Nick

foregone conclusion
HSC
N/A
poor kid

thorpe better win the fuckin race now

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
yeah lols ...
he should stay and swin the 400m ... its thorpes fukin fault anyway ...

^___^
HSC
and like when thorpe wins the race in athens, he will go in this uptight girls voice "oh i win this race cos i worked so hard for it.."

pfft..

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
lols ... omg that would be rofl, lmao, lol etc ...

eLmo

Stalker.
HSC
It really is a shame... Thorpe better win for his sake- I'm sure there'd be a huge uproar if he came home with nothing.

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
he would become the most hated athlete in australia from the most loved ...

disco_dave

is the disco_king!
HSC
Originally posted by ...

seriously...shows how corrupt the team is :p and they whinge about wanting more money given into that sport when the female hockey team paid for everything...
nice one ... , im a hockey player and i know how hard it is for the top players... the male captian (along with the rest of the team) has to work a full time job to play the sport. he's the Fuc*ing captian of one of our best national teams and he is made to work full time so he can surive...

its the same with the females... well thats my 2 bob on the issue. oh and i think thorpe should be racing, rules sometimes gets in the way of commonsence (he is the best swimmer in the event in the world!!))

RUB!X

Bergkamp 10
HSC
i guess so ...

Last edited:

Seraph

Now You've done it.......
HSC
N/A
huh?

So hes an idiot if he gives his place up because he cant win it ???

i confused

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
Originally posted by DooNy_TeChY
he workrd hard to get it and he should keep it.
i dont think he worked hard to get into 400m freestyle, cuz there is no way he was seriously training for the 400m freestyle thinking he was capable of beating the best 2 400m freestylers in the world. he was just training so he can make the 1500m and the 200m relay team

im not saying he should give up his spot, however im not saying he shouldnt, that might sound weird but i dont think ppl should restrict what he can decide

Aerials

your member for ulladulla
HSC
Originally posted by Seraph
huh?

So hes an idiot if he gives his place up because he cant win it ???

i confused
no hes an idiot if he gives up his place in the 400m because theres little chance he will win the 1500. That, I think, is what sportsgal meant.

edit: "Posts: 69" w00t

Snapwizard

Snapy
HSC
What a reject he would be if he gives up the spot ~~~~ what was the point of him wanting to start a profession in swimming in the first place~~~~ cause he had a dream of competeting with the worlds best ~~~~ I bet he trains hours and hours asweel and what was the whole point if he is just gonna give it up?? What he even bother to turn up at the trails?? Why would anyone bother to turn up at the trails if your gonna be peer pressured to give up your spot~~~~ Sports is suppose to be sportmanship, trying your best~~~~ freaken now its about money and just winning !!! Freakin he should ask himself that if he fell in would Torhpe givew up his spit for him ~~~~ Hell NO!!! Now were the site for the olympic fan mail !! ~~~~ I wanna convince him under any curcumstainces not to give up his spot!!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)