Normanhurst boys high entrance test 2019 (1 Viewer)

kittykit

HSC
Hi all,
I am considering in applying for Normanhurst boys high school for2019 and so I have a few questions about the test and m,y reports.
- What is in the math test. It problem solving or is it set out like a yearly/half yearly exam. Also, would it be 5.3 level maths?
- Is the comprehension section just all multiple choice question does it have some short answer questions?
- I only got 2A's in my yearly report but I know that for Normanhurst you only have to hand in your half-yearly report for the current year. Is that true?
- For the extra achievement I have, CLean up Aus day x3, Australian math comp proficient and credit, Chess x 3, Grade sport, and around two more things. Would this be enough?

Unknown Scholar

HSC
Hi, the Normanhurst Boys High School Entrance Test has two papers, English and Maths. Both are 45 minutes and looking at your HSC year, I believe you're going for Year 11 Entrance?

Maths is definitely 5.3, you need to know most of the Year 10 Maths content. It is set like a formal exam, with Year 10 content so not much problem solving.

For English, there are two sections, comprehension and writing composition.
Comprehension is all short answer, generally around two passages. Questions revolve more on word analysis (techniques, expression, you know, the usual Year 10 short answer stuff) rather than basic comprehension questions like (What did little Johnny do when he exited the door?).

The writing composition part will either be a persuasive text (What book would you recommend the school to add to their English curriculum and why if you were to write to the head of English at [insert school name]?) or a creative (Write a story based on someone having a new experience that radically changed their life view). It's worth about half if not more of the English paper so it's definitely important.

Normanhurst, at least from last year, required two reports, the previous yearly report and the recent half yearly report.

Extra achievements should also include some extra-curricular activities preferably, but you could always create a portfolio for yourself (good practice for later in life too!) that includes everything you've done since year 8 or so (awards, achievements and activities).

Hope this helps and good luck!

kittykit

HSC
I know this question is kind of late but how should I be studying for the comprehension part of the exam. Is it easier than icas or harder in difficulty

Unknown Scholar

HSC
I know this question is kind of late but how should I be studying for the comprehension part of the exam. Is it easier than icas or harder in difficulty
To be honest, comprehension is hard to study for. I personally have not done an ICAS English Comprehension before so I can't compare to that. But what I can say is that you need to be ready to write decent short answers. Study different literacy techniques such as metaphor, alliteration, symbolism.. etc and how they apply or are used.
Questions may appear as such:

How has the author used [technique] to make the text more engaging/interesting/confronting?

or

Name three techniques the author has used to show [something] and justify.

Good Luck!

Tribunal

HSC
Hi, the Normanhurst Boys High School Entrance Test has two papers, English and Maths. Both are 45 minutes and looking at your HSC year, I believe you're going for Year 11 Entrance?

Maths is definitely 5.3, you need to know most of the Year 10 Maths content. It is set like a formal exam, with Year 10 content so not much problem solving.

Comprehension is all short answer, generally around two passages. Questions revolve more on word analysis (techniques, expression, you know, the usual Year 10 short answer stuff) rather than basic comprehension questions like (What did little Johnny do when he exited the door?).

The writing composition part will either be a persuasive text (What book would you recommend the school to add to their English curriculum and why if you were to write to the head of English at [insert school name]?) or a creative (Write a story based on someone having a new experience that radically changed their life view). It's worth about half if not more of the English paper so it's definitely important.

Normanhurst, at least from last year, required two reports, the previous yearly report and the recent half yearly report.

Extra achievements should also include some extra-curricular activities preferably, but you could always create a portfolio for yourself (good practice for later in life too!) that includes everything you've done since year 8 or so (awards, achievements and activities).

is math like logic questions

Tribunal

HSC

Hey wassup, I am trying out for normanhurst this year, for year 9 2021. I am still confused about what would be in the maths test, as many other people are saying it is going to be a logic maths test, but you are saying it is more topics based. Thanks if you could answer this/

ADHERETOLOGIC

HSC
Hey wassup, I am trying out for normanhurst this year, for year 9 2021. I am still confused about what would be in the maths test, as many other people are saying it is going to be a logic maths test, but you are saying it is more topics based. Thanks if you could answer this/
Basically year 7 and 8 maths. So, what you've learnt so far in high school maths.

Tribunal

HSC

Do you know if comprehension is short answer for all years like year 8, year 9 and so on.

Unknown Scholar

HSC
Do you know if comprehension is short answer for all years like year 8, year 9 and so on.
From my experience, at least year 9 and 10. But I suspect it is like that for all since short answer more comprehensively tests your English skills than multiple choice questions.

My mum asked the school a few days ago and they said you can't really practice for the test and they said it is just to test your ability, so I'm 99 percent sure there won't be any curriculum based questions, just logic based
Tbh, this is the standard line all schools says, regardless of what the test is actually about. Obviously, they don't want to spoil what is tested in the exam. I would suspect they'll be two sections.

Section 1: (Majority of the exam)
This will assess year 7/8 math content of variable difficulty (it''s not insanely hard but there might be one or two tough ones). It's unlikely to be logic puzzles, because those don't examine your ability in math when studying in other schools.

Section 2 (Maybe the last few questions)
This will most likely be a working mathematically section where you apply mathematical principles and knowledge to solve maths questions that require outside the box thinking. It's similar to logic puzzles I guess? But like, still math from the syllabus.

Make sure to brush up on your maths and good luck studying!!

Do your best :)

Tribunal

HSC
From my experience, at least year 9 and 10. But I suspect it is like that for all since short answer more comprehensively tests your English skills than multiple choice questions.

Tbh, this is the standard line all schools says, regardless of what the test is actually about. Obviously, they don't want to spoil what is tested in the exam. I would suspect they'll be two sections.

This will assess year 7/8 math content of variable difficulty (it''s not insanely hard but there might be one or two tough ones). It's unlikely to be logic puzzles, because those don't examine your ability in math when studying in other schools.

This will most likely be a working mathematically section where you apply mathematical principles and knowledge to solve maths questions that require outside the box thinking. It's similar to logic puzzles I guess? But like, still math from the syllabus.

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH

Tribunal

HSC

So I'll just use the year 8 textbook to brush up my skills. That would be a good resource?

PEAR_OF_YGGDRASILL

HSC
Hey guys, I am trying out for the Normanhurst entrance exam for year 11 for 2024. Can someone tell me if there are any past papers available for the exam or something similar? Also is studying 90 hrs okay for the exam?

howcanibesmarter

HSC
Hey guys, I am trying out for the Normanhurst entrance exam for year 11 for 2024. Can someone tell me if there are any past papers available for the exam or something similar? Also is studying 90 hrs okay for the exam?
90 hrs of studying is insane, I definitely do less than that just for one exam. As for past papers, you can find them on thsc, they have a bunch for yr11 :) (tho im not sure if you mean yr10 papers intead, then you might need to ask someone who acutally goes to the school).

Tribunal

HSC
Im not sure if they've changed the format of the test, but im pretty sure its everything its everything you have learnt so far in year 10 but much harder. Just do enrichment questions or past papers from year 10 on THSC for maths.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)