Northshore- Economics tuition - BoS Resources being plagurised..? (1 Viewer)

Danger

HSC
Re: BoS Resources being plagurised..?

must have been killer eco notes if coaching centres use it :p

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Should I do something about it? e.g. email them? call them?

Partisan

HSC
N/A

Haha, so fatmuscle's notes were given us English Standard and IPT kiddies with header and footer gone.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
BoS Resources being plagurised..?

Just wondering what you guys thought of this. I uploaded my Eco notes a while back (in 05) and did a really good job. I don't mind sharing- because after all, BoS probably helped me out during my HSC too. But what annoyed me was today I saw some random guy using my notes in the library; so I went up and said "haha those notes look familiar"... and he's like huh at me?.. and turns out his tutor from Northshore gave to him. I looked for my header which had my name/contact details in it, but they had been removed!

So basically in short, someone out there, has removed all credit to me, claimed it to be theirs, and charged people money for it.

Should I do something? I can't help but feel rorted. I think it was the removal of my name and so on which really annoyed me. Heck they didn't even bother to change the custom fonts and layout I used.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Northshore- Economics tuition

Hello

If you, or someone you know, studied Economics at Northshore (in particular, Chatswood) for HSC, please read on or pass this message onto them. I know this is long but it's important to me so please read to the end.

I'm Jeff, one of the contributors to BoredofStudies over the years since my HSC in '05, and one of the things I contributed was my Economics notes covering all the topics tested in the HSC. Being someone who once benefitted from others' sharing their notes, I too wanted to give back to the community which helped me. I had no intention to make a profit and really, all I wanted to do was help others.

It has come to my attention that some unscrupulous individual(s) have been redistributing my notes, taken off BoredofStudies to students who are paying for lessons. Whilst this is acceptable to a degree, what is unacceptable is the fact that they are removing credit to myself which is clearly identifiable in the header of the Word document. Again, if this was a small individual ex-HSC student trying to make $20/hr tutoring people, that would be okay- but when I found out that it was a proper tuition college which is well-known and established, I was quite outraged.

In short, I am not seeking compensation, but I would like an explanation from Northshore, or whoever is distributing my notes without the header. I really don't mind sharing/giving back to the community, but removing my name is just uncalled for.

If you have attended Economics tuition at Northshore, maybe not specifically Chatswood, could you please assist me in seeing if you have been given a copy of my notes. If so, please KEEP THEM and do not throw them out.

From what I can tell with other students, the notes have had the header removed, but the general formatting and fonts have remained pretty consistent. I have attached the original file which was downloaded off BoS which clearly identifies me by full name in the author of the file.

If you have any queries, feel free to either post back here, PM me on BoS, or MSN me privately at jace.88@gmail.com . I'm aware I've posted this on the Economics board AND the Economics Exam Thoughts board- but I realised noone posts on the latter so if the mods wish to delete one, please delete (or move/redirect) the Exam Thoughts.

jc.

EDIT: This message doesn't explicitly relate to Northshore but any tutoring centres/colleges which hand out my notes with the header (i.e. my name) removed. I don't mind if ex-HSC kids who are tutoring for like $30/hr or something give 'em out, but I would like to keep the credit for the work since it did take a while to write!

Last edited:

lordesf

HSC
Re: Northshore- Economics tuition

thx mate appreciated

ejo

HSC

Nice notes, thankyou very much. I hope you get your explanation.

HSC

OMG .. my lil jeff...

THATS awful, to hear... *hugs*

Yeah thats a reallly harsh thing to do.

I agreee.. you guys, at least should say sorry to my buddy!

Platinum

HSC

That's really horrible. If I were in your situation - I'd definately sue them! There must be some law relating to it. Hey, it would be worth a shot. :)

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Sigh the guy who had the proof doesn't have it so I'm back at square one.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad

Oops forgot to update this thread I think...

In the end this is what they sent me in an email;

Northshore said:
Hi Jeffrey

Thank you for your e-mail. I have discussed this matter with my economics
teacher who has over 30 years teaching experience and she said that she was
not even aware that you had these notes on BoredofStudies.org let alone
distributing them to her students.

Please feel assured that should the situation arise we will ensure that our
teachers acknowledge the source of their materials so that due credit is
given.

regards
Marilyn
Dated: 29/11/2007 02:18 PM

michael1990

HSC

seremify007 said:
Hello

If you, or someone you know, studied Economics at Northshore (in particular, Chatswood) for HSC, please read on or pass this message onto them. I know this is long but it's important to me so please read to the end.

I'm Jeff, one of the contributors to BoredofStudies over the years since my HSC in '05, and one of the things I contributed was my Economics notes covering all the topics tested in the HSC. Being someone who once benefitted from others' sharing their notes, I too wanted to give back to the community which helped me. I had no intention to make a profit and really, all I wanted to do was help others.

It has come to my attention that some unscrupulous individual(s) have been redistributing my notes, taken off BoredofStudies to students who are paying for lessons. Whilst this is acceptable to a degree, what is unacceptable is the fact that they are removing credit to myself which is clearly identifiable in the header of the Word document. Again, if this was a small individual ex-HSC student trying to make $20/hr tutoring people, that would be okay- but when I found out that it was a proper tuition college which is well-known and established, I was quite outraged.

In short, I am not seeking compensation, but I would like an explanation from Northshore, or whoever is distributing my notes without the header. I really don't mind sharing/giving back to the community, but removing my name is just uncalled for.

If you have attended Economics tuition at Northshore, maybe not specifically Chatswood, could you please assist me in seeing if you have been given a copy of my notes. If so, please KEEP THEM and do not throw them out.

From what I can tell with other students, the notes have had the header removed, but the general formatting and fonts have remained pretty consistent. I have attached the original file which was downloaded off BoS which clearly identifies me by full name in the author of the file.

If you have any queries, feel free to either post back here, PM me on BoS, or MSN me privately at jace.88@gmail.com . I'm aware I've posted this on the Economics board AND the Economics Exam Thoughts board- but I realised noone posts on the latter so if the mods wish to delete one, please delete (or move/redirect) the Exam Thoughts.

jc.

EDIT: This message doesn't explicitly relate to Northshore but any tutoring centres/colleges which hand out my notes with the header (i.e. my name) removed. I don't mind if ex-HSC kids who are tutoring for like $30/hr or something give 'em out, but I would like to keep the credit for the work since it did take a while to write!
THEY ARE REALLY GOOD NOTES.

the set out of them are great.

Thanks heaps and plus i won't take your CREDIT!

just going to update the stats
WOW thanks man.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC

hey jeff or seremity, i think you must make sure northshore follows through with that email. if it is in fact your work, then it is both a breach of the copyright law and an academic plagirism by a coaching colleage, mate you can sue for that!

i know someone personally who is a manager at one of the branches, pm me if you need help. i am keen to see to the bottom of this.

P

pLuvia

Well I went to north shore in chatswood in year 12 for chemistry and I know for a fact they steal their notes from textbooks i.e. from Conquering Chemistry because I compared it with the book and they just re typed it without even changing any of the text, even one of the example of a randomly named scientist had the same name

Aplus

HSC
N/A
Everyone says Northshore is crap anyway.

seremify007

HSC
Uni Grad
Thanks for the support guys. To be honest, the only way I would find out would be if someone who was being tutored there happened to notice that they were my notes. I sincerely hope that the situation doesn't arise again because it would be most disappointing.

As always, I'm more than happy for my notes to be used by students to help them with their studies, and I know that some people do make a bit of pocket money by tutoring and my notes can help facilitate that, but what I don't want is some company charging students expensive fees for tuition which they claim as their own but they've just ripped off the internet.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)