• Want to take part in this year's BoS Trials event for Maths and/or Business Studies?
    Click here for details and register now!
  • YOU can help the next generation of students in the community!
    Share your trial papers and notes on our Notes & Resources page

"Not belonging is hard, but belonging is harder" (1 Viewer)

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
What are your comments?

I need as much idea as possible on this one. Thanks!!!

icecoffee

HSC
Essay thesis? Creative Writing?

Hmm what springs to mind is that when you 'belong' somewhere, perhaps you're more vulnerable to conformity/changing yourself to meet the expectations of others/peer pressure.
Not belonging gives you the freedom to do whatever you want; be unique and find your own place in the world.

I dunno... ><

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
It's an essay thesis, yes.

Thanks for your input.

icecoffee

HSC
That's a good thesis! What are your related texts?

your.knee

i'm lizzing
HSC
wow, sounds very angsty haha.

- being different or 'not belonging' is easier than attaining acceptance, which you may not even achieve
- you may naturally fall into the non-conformist category and so it's harder to go against what feels right.
- by belonging to a group you lose individualism

hope this helped in some way

Trebla

Administrator
Administrator
HSC
Not belonging allows for individual development which in itself is a life long challenge because of the difficulty to resist conflicting external social, political and cultural influences which attempt to challenge one's individuality.
Belonging on the other hand, may force individuals to adhere to social, political and cultural norms which may conflict their own. This is even harder than choosing not to belong because these social, political and cultural pressures change over time and thus the individual must change accordingly.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Appreciate your inputs everyone!

Please keep them coming. I want to gather as much info as possible...so far I only got few points in my head...with few more, I might be able to write the full essay on this. Thanks again!!!

E

Empyrean444

Remember that you do not have to necessarily agree with the statement. In this situation, a total disagreement is probably not viable, so I would go for a balance between the two (ie in set of circumstances 'A' we can see that to belong is harder to not belong because...whereas in 'B' the composer argues it is harder to not belong than to belong due to...).

Also consider the roles and responsibilities entailed in belonging to a group/community/place which are generally not involved in hermitage/alienation. Your duty is to determine: a)whether these duties outweigh the advantages of belonging (security, comfort, all that garbage); and b) whether the emotional problems caused by and limits to what one can achieve due to one being in a state of non belonging are easier to cope with than the duties that come with belonging to a group etc.

lyounamu

Reborn
HSC
N/A
Remember that you do not have to necessarily agree with the statement. In this situation, a total disagreement is probably not viable, so I would go for a balance between the two (ie in set of circumstances 'A' we can see that to belong is harder to not belong because...whereas in 'B' the composer argues it is harder to not belong than to belong due to...).

Also consider the roles and responsibilities entailed in belonging to a group/community/place which are generally not involved in hermitage/alienation. Your duty is to determine: a)whether these duties outweigh the advantages of belonging (security, comfort, all that garbage); and b) whether the emotional problems caused by and limits to what one can achieve due to one being in a state of non belonging are easier to cope with than the duties that come with belonging to a group etc.
OMG, thanks man!!!
No wonder you are top 2 in english

Last edited:

jet

Banned
HSC
To me the things which pop up are this:
- Because of the need to belong which is inherent in humanity, not belonging can be emotionally draining and damaging, making it hard.
- With the belonging is harder bit, one could either agree or disagree. I guess it depends on whether or not your texts agree with it. One the one hand you could say that it is harder, destroying any sense of a personal identity (i would stay away from 'non-conformity') or, on the other hand, you could say that, for a person who doesn't belong, it would be very easy for them to change themselves to belong, because they so inherently require it.

I do Emily Dickinson, so it wouldn't be hard for me to argue either way. It is all up to you.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)