not sure where to put this but i really need help... (1 Viewer)

grackle

HSC
i have to drop some of my workload because of stress and health issues and stuff, but i only have ten units, so whatever i end up dropping, i won't be able to get a UAI. i don't really care because i didn't want to go to uni, but yano people change time passes etc. etc.

so my question is, if i drop units, don't get a UAI but still get my HSC, will i be able to get into uni as a mature age student? i asked my ancient teacher this (him being such an expert on everything :p) and he said he didn't even go to uni, he got his degrees through corrospondence...

but still... i'd like to know for sure what the deal is with mature age students, because i've been reading about it and none of the info answers my question... if anyone can help out it'd be muchly appreciated cos i have to decide pretty quickly...

thanks heaps :)

Ragerunner

Your friendly HSC guide
HSC
If you feel what you are going to do is for the best and you still want to attend university at a later age, it will depend on other factors. As quoted by the UAC website:

Being 'mature age' is itself not enough to qualify for entry to tertiary studies. Your application may depend on your work and other experience, as determined by each institution. Generally you are considered to be 'mature age' if you are 21 years or older at 1 March in the year you intend to commence tertiary studies (this varies from institution to institution).

I suggest you contact the university you will be planning on attending before dropping courses in the HSC. And get a better understanding of the process and qualifications you might need in order to enter university as a mature age student.

michaeln36

HSC
unless your stress/health issues are extremelly bad, i would consider going against the advice and continuing with the ten hsc units. Ten units really isn't that much work, just accept that you might not do as well in these units as you would have without the issues.

grackle

HSC
michaeln - no offense, but i didn't ask for an opinion, i was looking for objective info. besides, it's not about how WELL i do in them, it's the fact that i'm doing them. does that make sense? i have a lot of stuff on my plate, and it sucks but, school just isn't that high of a priority for me anymore, and it's the only thing i can cut down on. but thanks for the input.

ragerunner - yeah, i think you're right. thanks for the info :)

kami

An iron homily
HSC
N/A
Its probably easier for you in the long run to complete your HSC since you're this far in, however it is possible to do university via correspondence without any prior qualifications or set age limits - its called Open Universities and you can have a look at their site: www.open.edu.au

As a mature age student you would also be eligible to apply based on a STAT score or limited UAI which at some universities would also come with a personal statement or a portfolio etc. There's also the option of TAFE to uni transfers later and so on.

wuddie

Black by Demand
HSC
yea look, objectively speaking, you should get into uni as a post-graduate student doesn't matter what or how well you have done in school (provided that they accept you in the first place, i mean, you won't get into law if you're hardly passing). you should ring up the uni and speak to the people there, they would know better than any of us. good luck with everything

sasquatch

HSC
if you feel that 10 units is too much to handle this year, why dont you consider pathways. i dont mean make piss you off by giving suggestions, but you do the hsc over 4 years? so yeah you could do like 4 units one year then 2 units for the other three years and still get a UAI. so say you drop 4 units or 6 units, you can just pick up the other units again next year i suppose. it would make better sense to do this than to not recieve a uai at all.

grackle

HSC
hey, i know this is like a month late but i just really wanted to thank everyone who posted info for me in this thread. i really really appreciate it heaps. and i'm doing what sasquatch said, the pathways thing. so yeah, thanks again guys :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)