Not take Maths for HSC? (2 Viewers)

phar0ah

HSC
I've noticed that my [Y10] Maths skills are quite poor (~70%) and I'm toying with the notion of not choosing the subject altogether for the HSC. My careers teacher has assured me there are some who get 99+ ATAR without taking Maths for a subject. My school has a minimum requirement of Maths Advanced. I plan on choosing: English Extension, Business Studies, Economics, Legal Studies, ...

Is this a good idea? I fear that this decision might have dire consequences in the future as I plan on talking business/commerce courses in Uni.

idkkdi

HSC
I've noticed that my [Y10] Maths skills are quite poor (~70%) and I'm toying with the notion of not choosing the subject altogether for the HSC. My careers teacher has assured me there are some who get 99+ ATAR without taking Maths for a subject. My school has a minimum requirement of Maths Advanced. I plan on choosing: English Extension, Business Studies, Economics, Legal Studies, ...

Is this a good idea? I fear that this decision might have dire consequences in the future as I plan on talking business/commerce courses in Uni.
business and commerce maths is basically a joke lol

nilatar

Zep Roadie
HSC
I retained Maths on top of 4U English, and I am somewhat regretting it. I'm managing, but time is precious when you have the Major Work to do and without Maths I could redirect a decent amount of time to these other content-heavy subjects. Not taking up a Mathematics course will not thwart you from achieving a high ATAR, however I can't advise on whether it is detrimental in the pursuit of Business / Commerce degrees, perhaps one with knowledge around this can.

jimmysmith560

Le Phénix Trilingue
HSC
Uni Grad

You can achieve a great ATAR with any combination of subjects. Don’t pick maths just because it’s maths. Your subject selection should constitute subjects that you like and subjects that you’re good at. Your current subject selection is pretty good. You need to make sure you study regularly and are up-to-date with the content so that you can perform well.

Maths is generally not a requirement/prerequisite for Business/Commerce degrees, which brings me to this point:

business and commerce maths is basically a joke lol
That depends on the major and the person. Of course it may not be much compared to purely maths-based degrees, but one should not underestimate the difficulty of business/commerce maths, e.g. some first year stats units consider 3U assumed knowledge.

A question I’d like to ask OP what major(s) you are currently interested in within your business/commerce degree? How much maths is involved usually depends on the major you pick.

Last edited:

Drongoski

HSC
N/A
It is possible you may never need any maths after your HSC. But what if you decide to embark on a course that requires some maths background. Then what would you do? Bridging course etc; can you rely on that?

ATAR considerations should not determine whether or not to drop maths.

Last edited:

satvik_1008

HSC

a commerce degree you basically need to have a good understanding of mathematics, especially if u want to do finance, where its not just maths advanced, but maths 3u and 4u (they really look for 4u) you would need

quickoats

HSC
a commerce degree you basically need to have a good understanding of mathematics, especially if u want to do finance, where its not just maths advanced, but maths 3u and 4u (they really look for 4u) you would need
No.... definitely don’t require 4u knowledge for finance (unless you’re thinking about actuarial studies).

quickoats

HSC
no??? wdym mate
Finance barely requires 2U knowledge and someone who did general maths can definitely get by. Where did you hear that finance as part of a commerce degree requires high level maths?

quickoats

HSC
If you’re talking about Quants who work in finance... you’re looking at math PhD+

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)