• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

Notes for Unit Circle (1 Viewer)

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
Explain. Which method does he teach? Graphically?
I never learnt it as ASTC either. I actually understood how the circle worked, so I derived all my expressions myself.

It really helped when it came to Complex Numbers.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
That reminds me, if OP is online. Unfortunately I cannot finish my typing today as I have to do some notes for particular subjects.

RealiseNothing

what is that?It is Cowpea
HSC
I never learnt it as ASTC either. I actually understood how the circle worked, so I derived all my expressions myself.

It really helped when it came to Complex Numbers.
I'm in the same boat as you, I don't remember ASTC, I just know when y is positive sin is positive, when x is positive cos is positive, and x and y are the same sign, tan is positive.

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
But why should it be 'remembered' at all? Why not simply understand it so no memorising is needed?
But when you understand you are actually memorising in a sense. It is not until it has been proved that the human mind fully accepts a piece of logic.

such_such

HSC
Explain. Which method does he teach? Graphically?
Yeah, graphically, but later you're not expected to draw the circle anymore. Dr. Truong doesn't teach me, but the teacher I have said that ASTC doesn't always work and he'll show us later why that is the case.

But then again, PEAK uses it, so it doesn't really matter in the end.

RivalryofTroll

Sleep Deprived Entity
HSC
Uni Grad
Yeah, graphically, but later you're not expected to draw the circle anymore. Dr. Truong doesn't teach me, but the teacher I have said that ASTC doesn't always work and he'll show us later why that is the case.

But then again, PEAK uses it, so it doesn't really matter in the end.
Creativity in Maths is good. Having 2 ways to do things is always better than having only 1 way to do it.

@Spiralflex:
How does Harry's Education, or Harry himself, teach it? The unit circle way or ASTC or both?

SpiralFlex

HSC
N/A
Creativity in Maths is good. Having 2 ways to do things is always better than having only 1 way to do it.

@Spiralflex:
How does Harry's Education, or Harry himself, teach it? The unit circle way or ASTC or both?
I don't know, I only joined in Year 11. My Year 7 tutor taught us graphically asian style...

Lina3

HSC
I remember ASTC as All Students Take Classes...although I did not learn how this circle definition came about. Could someone please explain it to me??? Or is it too complex to bother understanding???

Last edited:

Carrotsticks

Retired
HSC
N/A
I remember ASTC as All Students Take Classes...although I did not learn how this definition came about. Could someone please explain it to me??? Or is it too complex to bother understanding???
Not all students take classes :p

Explaining the unit circle properly via typing is quite difficult. You're better off asking your maths teacher where ASTC comes from. It's good to see that you're smart enough to actually question these things, rather than just rote learning.

Lina3

HSC
Not all students take classes :p

Explaining the unit circle properly via typing is quite difficult. You're better off asking your maths teacher where ASTC comes from. It's good to see that you're smart enough to actually question these things, rather than just rote learning.
Thanks for the advice, I'll ask my maths teacher when school begins :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)