notes: surface decoration (1 Viewer)

*RiNa*

HSC
SURFACE DECORATION

PRINTING

-Block printing
*a carved wooden block which has the design in relief is dippe din paint and pressed onto fabric to leave an impression of the raised surface
-Lino Printing
*Background is cut away from a think peice of lino to leave the design in relief. Printing ink i sapplied to a raised surface and then pressed onto the fabric
-Batik
*Hot wax is applied to the fabric by a tjanting or other means. The fabric is then dyed. The dye is not absorbed where the wax design has been applied. Additional waxing and dyeing can result in colourful designs
-Tie-dyeing
*Parts of fabric are firmly wrapped with string or elastic. The fabric is them immersed in a dyebath. The dye does not penetrate where the fabric ha sbeen tied.
-Screen Printing
*A cut out stencil is placed onto fabric. A fine mesh screen is lowered over the stencil, printing paste is applied at the end of the screen and a squeegee is then used to draw th epaint across the stencil. The printing paste will colour where the stencil is cut away. The process can be repeated to form colourful designs with other stencils and colours, waiting for each colour to dry, before the next.
-Jet Printing
*This process employs continuous streams of dye from jets, used on carpeting and thick fabrics. Microjet and polychromatic printing are 2 form sof jet printing
DYEING

DYEING PROCESS
1-emerse into dye bath of dissolved dye particals
2-migration of dye to textile surface, assisted by agitation
3-Difsusion of dye to fibre center, assited by heating, time and mordent
4-heat setting-on simmer to required shade
5-Fully rinse of residue

LIMITATIONS OF NATURAL DYES
*expensive to produce
*Vary in quality
*Unpredicatable
*Inconsistant
*little inffinit to textiles
*Non fast in wash/light

CLASSIFICATION OF DYES
*DIRECT-easy to apply with assistance of salt, adequate lightfast, poor washfast
*REACTIVE-V good wash/light fastness, combin echemically
*ACID-Fair-Good wash/light fastness, used with acid solution, good for protein fibres
*CHROME-V good washfast, Good lightfast, has a mordent of chromium, has dull coulour for wool/nylon
*PREMETALISED-VG wash/light fast, already has a chrome mordent, good for protein/polamides fibres
*BASIC-Poor wash/light fastness, very bright, excellent on arcylics
*AZOIC-VG washfast, excellent lightfast, added in 2 parts-1penetrate 2 trap, use don cotton/linem/regenerated
*DISPERSE-good on Crystalline polymers, forces polymers open by heat

These are some notes i found.. hope they r any good to any1!!!
Good luck everyone.. i think we all need it!!
xx

coco89

HSC
THANK YOU!
these will help heaps
if you happen to find anymore can you please post them and if i find ill do the same
thanks again
:)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)