Notes (2 Viewers)

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
getting the blood out of my caffeine system
HSC
chooky_girl26 said:
heres a question... how can u listen in class if ur class does nothing and how can u do homework... if u simply don't get any....
its called 'independant study' - something you're meant to have grasped by now. if you haven't you'll get a nasty shock when you get to university. dont bitch to the guy, i had the same prob as he did in english, gave notes to ppl then had computer probs preventing me from sending any out for a while. remmeber that many of us ex-HSC students tutor in various subjects as well, for which we get paid. so, firstly, im sorry but the people who pay me for my time do have to come first and secondly, the guy offered you notes on good faith, he didnt HAVE to and it's totally unreasonable for you to suggest that he did something wrong in not posting them immediately!

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
chooky_girl26 said:
Hun u gotta member not every library in the state is the best equipped.... most the books are childish nonscence.... and not every body has the time to run around to every state library and sydney libraries to find books... many have a life outside of ancient... it helps people a little if they have some other notes people kindly give them as they then know they are on the right track and gives them another direction or example of notes and essays... i admire the people who give up their time and write and put up their essays and notes in the resources page.... because at least they are helping people.... these are the people that deserve the credit not some person who wants people to ask for their notes.... theses people on the resource pages want everyone to do well and put their notes up to help others ... asking people to write on the board saying this guy gave them great notes is just fishing for complements someone who wants his work acknowledged.... shit i've been through over a hundred ancient textbooks.... but many of them do not help... people ask and go to others for help because their information isn't complete.... it's nice when people help you without being asked... thats what a hero is.... someone who helps other.... even though we are all competing against eachother in the subject... someone that understands some may not have as much success... they are willingto help others.
i'll be interested to see all your notes for every subject up after the HSC. or why not right now? you're right, people do have a life out of ancient - they even have a life outside of BOS *gasp* which curtails the time they have available to generously donate their notes to students who couldn't be bothered to go to a library other than their school's.

silvermoon

caffeine fiend
HSC
angelduck said:
can someone explain y shed be a greek personality, i mean, she was the pharaoh of egypt, id try there, deffinetly look into the resources on the second triumvirate, cleopatra is usually (or should be) mentioned as one of its faliures
although shes an egyptian pharaoh she wasnt actually egyptian ducky. lol. rome. im sure we posted up some stuff on cleo and her role in the triumvirate's when we did it last yr didnt we?

lol, soz bout the 3 chooky_girl posts in a row. i was in a bad mood and, having been in the same boat as this guy, she was just pissing me off

hipPo3

HSC
angelduck said:
can someone explain y shed be a greek personality, i mean, she was the pharaoh of egypt, id try there, deffinetly look into the resources on the second triumvirate, cleopatra is usually (or should be) mentioned as one of its faliures

Cleo is greek .. not egyptian. She ruled in the Ptolemy era. Why would she be in the failures section ?. I've looked already, and apparently my school is like the only one thats doing cleo as a personality ..shame eh.. i'm gettin more notes on her on monday ..

good luck everyone on history trials, mines on thursday :p

X

xeuyrawp

hipPo3 said:
Cleo is greek .. not egyptian. She ruled in the Ptolemy era. Why would she be in the failures section ?. I've looked already, and apparently my school is like the only one thats doing cleo as a personality ..shame eh.. i'm gettin more notes on her on monday ..

good luck everyone on history trials, mines on thursday :p
Having the Greeks inhabit Egypt was the reason why we can read hieroglyphs- they transliterated known Greek names like Kleopatra, Alexandros, etc, and worked back from that on the Rosetta stone.

X

xeuyrawp

I suppose I can bump...

(new info)

Last edited by a moderator:

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
angelduck said:
Cleopatra was - ethnically - more or less Greek (or Macedonian, depending whom you ask, hahaz), and the cultural and political events that led to her rulership are tied to the events of Alexander the Great and the Hellenistic era. She was descended from the Ptolemy dynasty; Ptolemy being a cousin of Alexander the Great, who, as we are told too many times, conquered all the way from the Greek penninsula to northern India. After his death, Alexanders empire fractured. The Ptolemies maintained their rulership of Egypt into the Roman period. It is however, also important to understand that Cleopatra appears to have felt very strongly that she was truly an Egyptian queen, and not a vestige of foreign occupation. She spoke seven languages (I believe, don't quote me on the exact number) - Egyptian important among them, and seems to have cared a great deal about the well-being and cultural autonomy of Egypt (despite the enormous influx of Graeco-Roman influences).

X

xeuyrawp

goldendawn said:
Cleopatra was - ethnically - more or less Greek (or Macedonian, depending whom you ask, hahaz), and the cultural and political events that led to her rulership are tied to the events of Alexander the Great and the Hellenistic era. She was descended from the Ptolemy dynasty; Ptolemy being a cousin of Alexander the Great, who, as we are told too many times, conquered all the way from the Greek penninsula to northern India. After his death, Alexanders empire fractured. The Ptolemies maintained their rulership of Egypt into the Roman period. It is however, also important to understand that Cleopatra appears to have felt very strongly that she was truly an Egyptian queen, and not a vestige of foreign occupation. She spoke seven languages (I believe, don't quote me on the exact number) - Egyptian important among them, and seems to have cared a great deal about the well-being and cultural autonomy of Egypt (despite the enormous influx of Graeco-Roman influences).
I think we settled that about 15 posts ago.

X

xeuyrawp

goldendawn said:
Sorry, didn't see it.
Ah, I see what you did. You saw the post and felt so historically compelled to post straight away. :)

Good show, I like your hybris. Youth is wasted on the young, as someone said.

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
Yeah, I'm a whore for Greek history. Haha, and as I see it, my youth is better wasted than never felt. Children and fools speak the truth, someone else once said.

Last edited:
X

xeuyrawp

goldendawn said:
Yeah, I'm a whore for Greek history. Haha, and as I see it, my youth is better wasted than never felt. Children and fools speak the truth, someone else once said.
Greek and Roman history is cool, but I really dislike the breed of people and wholistic thought that comes from people who study them exclusively.

That being said, I might do some Greek and Roman stuff a bit later.

As for retorting with a proverb, I'm all out :p

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
I also dislike the exclusiveness, the snobbery of "Classicists". Culture is organic - and Greek and Roman history really only scratches the surface. So much culture was organically transmitted from Egypt and the ancient Near East. If the 'West' had ever wanted to create glorified historical memory, then they certainly did it by claiming Greece and Rome. Besides, "Classicists" only really care about one period of Greek and Roman history - usually centred on 5th century BC Athens, and the Roman Republic - and anything before or after is only really important for most of them because it illustrates build-up or decline. My love of Greek history is different. At any rate, I wouldn't want to study Greek or Roman history in an English speaking country. Too much of "the glory that was Greece" ranting for my liking.
I'm glad you found my proverb interesting, :p.

X

xeuyrawp

goldendawn said:
I also dislike the exclusiveness, the snobbery of "Classicists". Culture is organic - and Greek and Roman history really only scratches the surface. So much culture was organically transmitted from Egypt and the ancient Near East. If the 'West' had ever wanted to create glorified historical memory, then they certainly did it by claiming Greece and Rome. Besides, "Classicists" only really care about one period of Greek and Roman history - usually centred on 5th century BC Athens, and the Roman Republic - and anything before or after is only really important for most of them because it illustrates build-up or decline. My love of Greek history is different. At any rate, I wouldn't want to study Greek or Roman history in an English speaking country. Too much of "the glory that was Greece" ranting for my liking.
I'm glad you found my proverb interesting, :p.
Are you single?

goldendawn

ὄσον ζῆς...
HSC
Yeah, I'm single. Not ready for a relationship, yet, I think.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 2)