NRL : The Official NRL Thread 2006 (1 Viewer)

Jiga

The Official NRL Thread 2006

EDIT : Theres a new thread for it now :rolleyes:

Why the fuck was the other thread closed for?

In any case, lucky I copied my reply before I posted it because I would have lost it, here it is....

I disagree with that ladder.

For starters, I dont think the Roosters are going to be #1, with Finch as their half back they are going to struggle.... and yes he was their when they were going good, but hes past it now (Thats if he ever had 'it')

Broncos again I dont think they will be that high, they didnt make to many good signings and will perform IMO similar to last year.

Knights will be higher than that provided Johns is un-injured.

Storm will be way lower, without orford they are going to struggle BIG TIME, they wont make the top 8.

I think we will see the cowboys slip alittle, they were VERY lucky to get into the grand final last year because there were alot of better teams then them, luck just went their way.

Sea Eagles will be higher than that, they've bought very well and I think the club is about to come out of its rebuilding phase and post a decent challenge for the premiership.

As a sharks supporter I will have some bias, but I think the sharks are in a similar boat to the Eagles, they've built up over the years a good squad and should be able to do more than last year provided everything comes together. I also think the motivation to win the Premiership for Rogers who always wanted to see the sharks win it will help greatly, in games like last year in the finals against the Dragons where we played well but just not for the full 80mins, we will win.

Rabbitohs will be lower than that, they are shyte, the players they have bought IMo wont have that much of an impact because they still have a crap backline (Or so i think, i dont recall to many backline signings for them apart from crap like Merritt and Mellor).

Eels will be way higher than that, SMith is a decent coach but hte media protrays him as not... geez he had the team on top of the table last year. The only problem I can see is the uncertainty with his future could play a role, but even then they have an excellant team so they should do better than 10.

The dragons will be higher than that as well, although I dislike them they still have a quality side. WE must also remember that for most of lsat year they were without their half back and still went well, with him recovered (although he is injurd again) they will be a good side.

Warriors are shit yes.

Raiders are shit yes.

I think the panthers will finish last, they havent signed to much and have in fact lost some good players.

The bulldogs will be higher than this, although they lost Anasta, provided their players are uninjured they still have one of the best forward packs in the comp, and off the back of this Sherwin alone can carve up sides. In saying this though, I dont think they will mkae the top 8, maybe 9 or 10

Last edited by a moderator:

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Re: The Official NRL Thread 2006

It's still there, just bookmark it -_- .

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
Well, because Brogan and Damage managed to get the other Thread closed, time to start all over again!

Anyway, to start off, what are you predictions for the 2006 season?

I think the panthers will get the wooden spoon and dragons minor premiership, followed by knights, broncos, and sadly the roosters and cowboys...possibly tigers and sharks, hopefully eels too.

Suney_J

Not a member
HSC
Re: NRL Thread

I gotta say the spoon is heading south to Melbourne

rewster

HSC
Re: The Official NRL Thread 2006

Schoolies_2004 said:
EDIT : Theres a new thread for it now :rolleyes:

For starters, I dont think the Roosters are going to be #1, with Finch as their half back they are going to struggle.... and yes he was their when they were going good, but hes past it now (Thats if he ever had 'it')
Finch didn't play well last year because he didn't have a 5/8th to work with, now he does. Now that Anasta has arrived we will see the best from him and finch and the roosters return to the top!

Bookie

Banned
HSC

yes, school got mentiuoned!

Crowe's fears for Souths
By Steve Mascord
12feb06

ACTOR Russell Crowe is willing to split the $3 million bill to rescue his beloved Rabbitohs as he believes the club deserves a chance to survive.

In an exclusive interview with The Sunday Telegraph, Crowe said the club must rid itself of its second class image - and its cockroach-infested dressing room and third-rate oval - to ensure its future.

It is time, Crowe declared, for Souths to leave Struggle St behind and give itself and its fans, a better chance.

"If you are going to couch South Sydney as being economically Struggle St, all it teaches you is that if you strive for the top, you're not going to get anywhere," Crowe said.

"That's worth nothing. South Sydney fans deserve more, the players deserve more. People talk about the club being owned by the people because it serves certain purposes but I don't think a team that consistently runs last serves the community any purpose at all."

The Oscar-winning actor and die-hard Rabbitohs fan said the $3 million bid that he and businessman Peter Holmes a Court had submitted was about ensuring the club had a better future.

"We train on Erskineville Oval - it's been half bald for a couple of years," he said.

"The dressing rooms are infested with cockroaches, the pipes burst, and if it rains the medical room gets a foot of water in it.

"The kitchen facilities are one fridge, a sink (and it's) half full with sprinting posts, tackling bags, first-aid kits and anything that needs to stay dry. There's better facilities at Sydney Boys' High."

Speaking in detail for the first time about the audacious bid to take a controlling share in Australia's oldest premiership club, Crowe said fans should vote for the proposal on March 19 if they are sick of bitter in-fighting and running near the bottom of the NRL table.

It is well documented that Crowe has been a Souths fan since childhood but, until today, little was known of exactly what he was contributing to the Holmes a Court proposal to take a 75 per cent share in the club.

Some suspected the businessman was providing much of the financial muscle with Crowe lending his star power. But Crowe said: "I'm willing to back (Holmes a Court) dollar for dollar, the way he's willing to back himself. We have a 50-50 ownership; this is a $3 million investment."

On March 19, 4505 fans will vote on whether the 98-year-old club should make the leap to privatisation after the Souths board on Thursday voted 6-3 in favour of passing the decision to members. Lobbying has already started.

Crowe traces his allegiance to the men in red-and-green back to his father owning a muffler shop on Botany Rd but was more interested in talk about taking the Pride of the League into the future than about his own past.

"I think they should vote for this if they read the proposal and they think it's a good idea, if they think the focus of the football team should be playing football," Crowe said.

(They should support it) if they are perturbed that, over time, the energies of the club seem to get used in a series of never-ending battles, because we intend to take that energy and passion and put it into better channels.

"If you're sick of seeing Souths on the front and back pages for the wrong reasons, if you believe that Souths Juniors - like I do - is a competition that will throw up the best 20 players going around at a given time and that we must be ready to take advantage of that as it happens. It's about people who are hired to focus on football being allowed to do so and not focus on politics and factionalism like they seem to have had to in the past."

Club patriarch George Piggins and director Sol Bellear are leading the opposition to the Crowe-Holmes a Court bid.

They say the club is being undersold and that private ownership is not the right model anyway because Souths

could be sold on to an undesirable owner in the future. However, Crowe said Souths were in a perilous financial position and the plan would guarantee their future, while also preventing anyone from moving the team outside Sydney or changing its famous colours.

Despite his outspoken comments here, he will not be taking the front seat in the vote or afterwards.

"I don't have a job in this organisation," he insisted.

"I've got a day job, I've got a band, I've got a cattle farm, I've got lots of other responsibilities; father of one, soon to be two.

"Quite frankly I'd prefer not to be involved in this." Crowe, who has vowed to continue as a fan whatever the outcome of the extraordinary meeting, added: "In my heart and mind Souths will always be there. Whether it ceases to exist is a different thing."

WINNAR!

I really hope Souths do good.

GLORY GLORY TO SOUTH SYDNEY

Last edited:

Jiga

Finch didn't play well last year because he didn't have a 5/8th to work with, now he does. Now that Anasta has arrived we will see the best from him and finch and the roosters return to the top!
No Finch is crap, and I feel that both his style and Anastas conflict.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC

Hopefully this thread won't be hijacked like the last one was. Talk about disappointing.

Suney_J said:
I gotta say the spoon is heading south to Melbourne
Duuuuuuude! Long time no see!

I agree that Melbourne are a much weaker outfit in 2006 than they've ever been before, but I still don't have them down as wooden spooners.

They have a knack of staying competitive throughout the season, and they'll still be tough to beat in Melbourne because opposition halves just can't adjust to short in-goals.

And Cooper Cronk did put in a pretty awesome performance against an understrength Eels outfit in their 38-18 win last weekend. So perhaps he'll go ok in the halves.

With the departure of Steven Bell, perhaps there is a case for Greg Inglis to get a starting spot somewhere. Perhaps moving Webster into the centres and putting Inglis on the wing. He is a star in the making.

Anyway!

To the person who put Dragons and Eels both outside the top eight in the former thread .. it was a nice joke. Haha .. ha.

Perhaps you don't understand that "problems with the playing roster", or whatever the quote was, doesn't actually affect the Dragons THIS year? That problem will only take affect in 2007, provided all the players don't re-sign. Bailey is already leaving, and so will a few others. Nevertheless, do some research and you'll find that Dragons won Jersey Flegg by a country mile in 2005, as well as being the second most in-form team in Premier League after the first 10 rounds of 2005. So they have the best juniors in the competition .. and problems with their playing roster will affect them in 2006. Gotcha :)

Greg, I'm getting annoyed of you constantly playing down Parramatta's chances! What don't you understand about the fact that the players will WANT TO WIN for Brian Smith?! And Brian Smith, despite probably being disheartened at his sacking, will still want to win the premiership which has eluded him his whole coaching career. Just to prove to all the doubters that he really is a good coach.

I will be surprised if Dragons and Eels don't occupy the top two spots on the table after 26 Rounds.

Schoolies_2004 said:
I think we will see the cowboys slip alittle, they were VERY lucky to get into the grand final last year because there were alot of better teams then them, luck just went their way.
Dude, the Cowboys came SIXTH last year.

The fact that they luckily made the Grand Final has absolutely NO relevance to their position on the ladder. You can also say that the Tigers luckily made the Grand Final too. They played an out-of-form Cowboys in the first week, a Broncos side whose wheels had fallen off six weeks before then, and a Dragons side who played their worst match of the season in the Prelim. The fact that the Cowboys got to the GF does not matter.

With regards to their position in 2006 .. well, it is hard to see them be any WORSE than sixth. They were just about the best team in the competition (behind Brisbane) at the halfway stage of the season. State of Origin destroyed them last year. It was the first time they'd ever had a decent-sized bunch of players chosen, and they couldn't adjust. In 2006 they will be more experienced in this area, and won't suffer as badly. Cowboys will be pressing for top four, definitely.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Oh, and some early player transfer talk:

Trent Barrett has told close friends that he will be going to England. Currently four clubs offering $480,000 a season. We shall wait and see .. Doust (and Barrett) have virtually forced themselves to issue a decision within the next two weeks.

Scott Prince looks to be leaving the Tigers. Cowboys are VERY interested in him, and have told Brett Firman that if he doesn't play extremely well before June 30, he can consider himself a goner as they will be chasing Prince. Broncos and Titans are also chasing Prince's services. Prince's wife is missing life in Queensland and really wants to go back to see her family etc.

That's a couple of big names so far ..

Oh, and Dean Young is a done deal at the Dragons. Supposedly a three year contract about to be signed by him.

lmelrose

HSC
My prediction....... 2006 is the year of the KNIGHTS!!! But considering im a passionate fan, i could be a little bias in my guess. Nah I agree, if Johnsy (my hero) stays fit, then we are in with a chance. Just for the record, this is my first post eva! Woo hoo.

copious

Linbo rox my sox
HSC
Just an update on the Warriors, in case they are the dark horses this year so I have something to boast about.

Gains : Grant Rovelli (Roosters), Michael Luck, George Gatis (both from Cowboys)
Losses : Stacey Jones, Francis Meli, Awen Guitenbeil, Iafeta Paleasina, Tevita Latu (Sharks , this is a great signing for you Bookie he is a gun of a player)

Ones to watch : Manu Vatuvai. This 110kg beast will get better the more game time he gets, now that Francis Smelly is gone. Also watch out for Sonny fai he is huge, and Simon Mannering when he comes back from injury.

Also dont forget that our coach this year is Ivan Cleary. A young and smart man, hopefully he will work well with Wiki and Price to drive the team to play to its potential. We have fucked up too much over the past couple of seasons, after our fluke grand final appearance. The hardest thing will be coping without the number 2 halfback in the world, Stacey Jones.

Bookie

Banned
HSC
how can people rate the knights?

they are shit, remember. they had a golden patch this year, and still finished last, thats how shit they were.

next year, they wont have a golden patch, and hopefully they wont have andrew johns either. wooden spooners again. or canberra.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
copious said:
Just an update on the Warriors, in case they are the dark horses this year so I have something to boast about.

Gains : Grant Rovelli (Roosters), Michael Luck, George Gatis (both from Cowboys)
Losses : Stacey Jones, Francis Meli, Awen Guitenbeil, Iafeta Paleasina, Tevita Latu (Sharks , this is a great signing for you Bookie he is a gun of a player)
Haha, you certainly proved they would be the dark horse .. when you look at that, they have made a loss of about 8 or 10 competition points on 2005, and they went crap then :-/

The only things they have going for them are that no-one is rating them, so they have nothing to lose; and also in Ivan Clearly they have new blood. He can also coach, as opposed to Kemp.

Bookie said:
how can people rate the knights?

they are shit, remember. they had a golden patch this year, and still finished last, thats how shit they were.
Is that a joke of a post?

They had a golden patch once they had their squad back on the park! Remember, it was only Johns who was out. They had 12 regular first-graders not playing at one point in the season. That's a whole god-damned starting lineup, almost!

Once they had a team on the field, they won six in a row before losing a close match to the Dragons in Round 26.

For their sake, I can only hope they DO have a full-strength squad on the field this season. They'll make the Finals easily if they do.

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC

brogan77 said:
1. Roosters (Meh, parochialism, so sue me)

2. Dragons (Their last season with the current full strength, quality roster, they better have a good crack at it)

3. Cowboys (A bit like the tigers, cept they have shown more consistency over the two seasons, I think they're finally a true top tier team [lol for alliteration])

I like most of that table. I got Brisbane a bit higher, Tigers a bit lower, Sharks a bit higher, Sea Eagles a bit lower. And Roosters lower.

Oh, and also Penrith a couple of spots higher. But not in the Finals.

rewster

HSC
Yeah, I guess Soward is just going to be a bench player this season

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)