• Want to help us with this year's BoS Trials?
    Let us know before 30 June. See this thread for details
  • Looking for HSC notes and resources?
    Check out our Notes & Resources page

NRL Thread (1 Viewer)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
He had to cut short his holiday in Hawaii. Id be psd if i was him. Fuck them, i dnt want any more Roosters Players at risk of injury. Look what has already happened- Lockyer, Hindmarsh(who re-injured himself), Joey Barge Ass. Im scared it might be Fitzy...hes getting old.

I hate Tri-Nations.

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
oh no, i so hope hindmarsh is ok for next season. from what i heard its not as bad as when he first injured it so thats good.

Last edited:

DRAGONZ

You've Got A Friend
HSC
Yeah, we move on.

The Dragons will be a better team without Thompson.

---------------- Bailey -- Young --- Ryles ---------------
--------------------- Creagh --- Sims -------------------- --- BENCH ---
------------------------- Timmins -------------------------- 14. Poore
--------------- Head --------------------------------------- 15. Henderson
-------------------- Barrett -------------------------------- 16. Payne
--------- Cooper ------------------- Gasnier ------------- 17. Gorrell (to start, Ndaira/Keith later on in the season)
-- Naiqama --------------------------------- Best --------
------------------------- Hornby ---------------------------

This is a better lineup, with genuine linebreakers in Creagh and Sims wearing 11 and 12. Sims must improve on his defence, though.

All that the Dragons lose with Thompson going is one of the St George juniors (looks like Gasnier and Naiqama are the only two left ...). We also lose some of that passion and committment to the Big Red Vee on the ground.

Thompson was a legend. He loved the jersey and we loved him for it. But he did some bloody stupid things off the field.

He got his payout in the end anyway.

No one player is bigger than the team. The St George Illawarra Dragons move on as they march towards their inaugural premiership and St George's sixteenth.

UP THE DRAGONS IN 2006!!

HSC
Vagana is a disgraceful thug who should be rubbed out of Rugby League for an extended period:

Vagana ban shameful injustice
By Dean Ritchie in Manchester
November 18, 2005

THE tackle that inflicted shocking injuries on Great Britain halfback Paul Deacon warranted only a one-match suspension - causing a furore in England last night and savaging the credibility of international rugby league.

Controversy raged over New Zealander Nigel Vagana's lame one-match ban for a high tackle on Deacon, who subsequently required facial reconstructive surgery.

Deacon was discharged from hospital yesterday, still in agony, after being struck high by Vagana in last weekend's Tri-Nations Test in Huddersfield.

The injuries are so severe that Deacon, who plays for Bradford in the English Super League, has been banned from speaking to the media purely on medical advice.

A person who saw Deacon yesterday described his appearance as similar to the "Elephant Man".

In a day of drama:

* DEACON's club chairman, Chris Caisley, claimed Vagana "took aim and pulled the trigger".
* THE Daily Telegraph can reveal Deacon also suffered a broken nose and fractured eye socket along with his other facial injuries.
* GREAT Britain coach Brian Noble called for calm.
* INTERNATIONAL federation chairman Colin Love said the controversial verdict would be discussed at a board meeting next Tuesday in Leeds.

A three-man international judiciary committee - comprising a judge and representatives from New Zealand and Great Britain - handed down the suspension that sees Vagana miss this weekend's Test against France and be free to play the Tri-Nations final, should the Kiwis qualify.

Deacon was last night recovering at his parents' home in Wigan.

He had undergone surgery to a fractured palate and cheekbones.

There were claims here in England that Deacon was in a life-threatening position immediately after the tackle because of a loss of blood.

This was caused by the severing of a vessel which caused breathing difficulties - blood had flooded his lungs.

The judiciary panel said Vagana's tackle was careless not deliberate.

There is some chance Deacon could rejoin the British camp this weekend to boost morale but he would not play until February, possibly against Wests Tigers in the World Club Challenge.

"It looked like (Vagana) took aim and pulled the trigger," Caisley said.

"This will clearly affect Paul. He is in a lot of pain and it won't go away from his memory too quickly.

"I thought the suspension for Super League and internationals were supposed to be consistent.

"Just because it's an international match, why alter the penalty handed down? He certainly deserved more than a week. Recently Wigan's Terry Newton was banned for 16 weeks for a high tackle."

Caisley had a message for the judiciary.

"Perhaps those who sit in judgment should have paid a visit to Paul and seen the screws in his mouth that are holding his face together," he said.

"He has fractures to his face and a broken nose. They are quite horrific injuries.

"The irony is that while some may deem this a pathetic ban, the player responsible for these injuries will be able to play in the final and Paul will now miss out if New Zealand and Great Britain qualify."

Noble called for calm yesterday but that appears unlikely.

He did however say: "It was the difficulty in breathing and the amount of blood, which (Lions doctor) Professor Chris Brookes had to stop."

Asked had the judiciary blundered, Love said: "I can't comment on that and I won't comment.

"I don't see it as being part of my role. The judiciary is independent.

"It will be something we discuss at the board meeting. Maybe I will make a statement after the meeting. But I have confidence in our judiciary system."

New Zealand rugby league officials, in France for this weekend's Test match, were refusing to allow Vagana to speak to the media or be photographed.

It was Vagana's second appearance before a Tri-Nations judiciary after escaping punishment for an alleged spear tackle during the opening match against Australia in Sydney.
Vagana 'should have got 10 matches'
By Dean Ritchie in Manchester
November 19, 2005

THE sickening tackle that left Great Britain halfback Paul Deacon nursing horrific head injuries would have seen New Zealand's Nigel Vagana banned for 10 matches had the incident occurred in the NRL.

The tackle would have attracted a grade-four reckless charge - and would not be dismissed with a one-match suspension, as happened, NRL match review committee chairman Greg McCallum told The Daily Telegraph last night.

It was another day of drama in England yesterday over the Deacon controversy with:

* NEW Zealand coach Brian McClennan claiming Vagana could have been exonerated for the high tackle that left Deacon facing reconstructive surgery.
* AUSTRALIA captain Danny Buderus calling for a grading system to be introduced into Test football, to ensure consistency.
* VAGANA contacting Deacon to apologise.
* SKY Sports demanding yet failing to be granted an exclusive interview with Deacon.

Deacon remains "black and blue" after being hit high by Vagana in the Tri-Nations Test in Huddersfield last weekend.

The Kiwi star was banned for just one game by a Tri-Nations judiciary despite Deacon suffering a fractured palate, a broken nose, a fractured cheekbones and a broken eye socket.

"Having viewed the tackle, it falls into the reckless category," McCallum said.

"You have to take into account the seriousness of the injury.

"He would have been looking at a suspension of up to 10 matches.

"It appeared as though there was direct contact with the head and face.

"His (Vagana's) feet were planted and his arm was swinging upwards."

McClennan said Vagana should now be left alone, and could have actually escaped punishment.

"It's a collision sport, people get hurt," McClennan said.

"After watching it, Nigel could have got off all together. It was an accident.

"Deacon ducked; Nigel was trying to wrap up the ball.

"I think everyone has been put out because of the extent of the injuries.

"A broken nose is part and parcel of playing professional rugby league."

McClennan said he, Vagana and the New Zealand camp were concerned for Deacon.

"It was an unfortunate accident - no one likes to see these things happen," he said.

"Nigel has made phone contact with Deacon. He is keeping in touch with Deacon through our player Shontayne Hape, who plays at Bradford with Deacon.

"Nigel is very concerned.

"But the judiciary, and there was a Great Britain representative on the panel, looked at it and gave Nigel one match. We should all get on with things now.

"In the end we are all rugby league people and we look after ourselves."

Vagana has remained in England rather than travel to France with the Kiwis to work on some niggling injuries, McClennan said.

Buderus said the international game needed consistency at judiciary level, and could implement a NRL-style grading system.

"They should probably have an international grading system," Buderus said.

"Players in NRL know what is acceptable.

Kangaroos second rower Craig Fitzgibbon added: "(The tackle) sounds pretty bad. He has hit someone hard enough to break their palate.

"I haven't seen it but it doesn't sound real flash."
Ban almost condones thuggery
Comment by Ray Chesterton
November 18, 2005

IF Paul Deacon is lucky, he may play rugby league again. Maybe. Sometime.

But will he bother?

Why would he return to a game that has betrayed him so savagely, callously disregarded his life-affecting injuries and treated his assailant with unconscionable leniency.

It is a question that must be in Deacon's mind as he painfully waits for his frightening injuries to heal.

Waits for the broken cheekbone to knit. Waits for his fractured eye sockets to mend, tries to forget the nightmare of his lungs flooding with his own blood and threatening to drown him.

At a time when football in Australia is rightly rollicking in the plush surrounds that come with qualifying for the World Cup and a warm place in the heart of the nation, rugby league has again careered down the path of almost condoning thuggery.

New Zealand and Shraks star Nigel Vagana's tackle of Deacon last weekend initially seemed to be minor.

Had a judiciary panel been formed immediately, before the full extend of Deacon's injuries became known, perhaps the one-match penalty imposed would have sufficed.

Instead, the judiciary committee was held days after the match - when the horrifying extent of Deacon injuries were fully documented.

Yet it still considered a one-week penalty sufficient.

Vagana should have been given a minimum of 10 weeks.

I like to think that would have occurred if the incident happened in an NRL match.

A one-match penalty to be served by missing the Kiwi's meaningless game against France this weekend is an appalling reflection on the credibility of the men who made the decision (one each from the England and NZ rugby leagues and the England Rugby League judiciary chairman).

It insults Deacon and concerns other international players who look to the judiciary to impose penalties that are a deterrent to thuggery.

After decades of deteriorating standards of international judicial decisions this season has become farcical.

In October, Vagana escaped suspension for a dangerous spear tackle in the first Tri-Nations match against Australia.

The panel did not act against Vagana because at least one member thought the wrong man had been cited.

The under-resourced judiciary also had to borrow a tape recorder from a journalist to record official evidence because no other equipment was available.

The panel also complained about the quality of television equipment they were given to view the incident in which Australia's Trent Waterhouse was thrown on his head.

International judiciary rulings have long been seemingly haphazard affairs when the best interests of the game have been sacrificed for expediency.

Players from, say England, appearing before the judiciary would be guaranteed a light sentence because other nations would reciprocate when an England player appeared.

Now we are at the horrifying stage of having an international judiciary rubber stamp injuries more common to assault and battery in a pub brawl as part of the give and take of rugby league.

The international board meets on Tuesday in England and should immediately review the Vagana incident, imposing a credible and warranted penalty.

Random_87

HSC
N/A
I love Vagana, but how does he always escape suspensions or have theem held to a minimum? That Beard is amazing, but he's been doing this for as long as i can remember...

ledzeppelin

HSC
How good was Morley's hit on O'Donnell!?!?!
I love Morley.
Great Britain will continue to not trouble Australia until they get better halves and centres fit and playing well.
Their forward pack easily matches Australia's, particularly in the front row, which is the best in the world in my opinion.
Hopefully the rumours of Fielden coming to the Roosters in 07 are true, cause he's farking awesome.

shortygb

BOSer #13412
HSC
ledzeppelin said:
How good was Morley's hit on O'Donnell!?!?!
I love Morley.
Great Britain will continue to not trouble Australia until they get better halves and centres fit and playing well.
Their forward pack easily matches Australia's, particularly in the front row, which is the best in the world in my opinion.
Hopefully the rumours of Fielden coming to the Roosters in 07 are true, cause he's farking awesome.
i dont really care, but you rorter fans may be happy to know that morley is nearly getting australian citizenship, so he can now play origin for nsw (and international for england still??)...just what we need another rooster in the origin squad....

kimi

C U Next Tuesday.
HSC
N/A
Moz has already got Australian Citizenship, so sucks to you. And yes, he was fucken awesome. Was slightly irritating me cos i was cheering for Australia. But he made some brilliant tackles at the right times for GB. Carney was a bitchandahalf, did u see his hair? most hideous hair ever and i can now verbally abuse him in real life when he joins newcastle this year and titans the year after next.

And the fact Barrett got sinbinned twice in the same match, is also fucken awesome. The ref was soooo shit, he missed so many things and you could tell he was favouring GB the majority of the time AND he kept picking on Buderus. Asshole. And the commentators, i hope they get murdered in their sleep for their bias.

Also, Minichiello was soooooooooo brilliant, <3 Why is next week's final in GB when its an Aust vs Kiwi? Cos thats friggen ridiculous.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)