NRSL Applications to UNSW and UniMelb (1 Viewer)

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
PM said:
Hello,
I thought it may be most appropriate to ask a question I have to you specifically, seeing as you have undertaken the UMAT many times now.

I'm looking to do the UMAT for a second time this year, while undertaking first year uni studies (usyd). In order to apply for UMAT through ACER, would I re-apply as an undergraduate, and follow the undergraduate procedure (through UAC) from then on if an offer happened to come up or something would happen after the test?

I'm only interested in medicine at UNSW and Melbourne in regards to this (as undergraduate courses). How would I actually go about 'applying' to these universities for medicine in 2005 (despite going to university in 04)?

Thanks a lot for any help.
Ok, firstly let me congratulate you on your [99.95] UAI - it's of such stature that you'll only need a half-decent UMAT (if that) to enter under Melbourne's ENTER stream. UNSW is slightly more tricky since they require a good interview as well, but that's not too difficult (and unless you fail a subject you'll definitely get an interview offer).

Since you're applying only one year after finishing high school, you will need to apply to UAC and VTAC as an NRSL. You will also need to sit the UMAT again. Basically, yes, just what you said. The application procedure is more or less the same for both UNSW and Melbourne, since they give primary consideration to performance in year 12 (tertiary marks are also considered though, so keep up the good work).

The only differences you will encounter will be the little extra bits for tertiary and other non-standard students to fill in, like what you've been doing for the year since school (course and institution). I didn't apply to UNSW last year, but I would recommend mentioning some of the things you've learned about yourself and your vocation to Medicine in your short time at uni - only if you do actually learn something though, since it would definitely come up at interview.

So, in summary, it's almost all the same, except you're not in year 12 anymore and have to tell them that. If I may ask though, why are you only interested in UNSW and Melbourne? Their programs are similar to WA and Tasmania respectively, and the schools don't really carry any more prestige than any other medical school in the country. Is it just the appeal of the big city?

Lexicographer

Retired 13 May 2006
HSC
PM said:
Thanks - a couple more minor questions (and answers) to your reply:

My only question is what does NRSL stand for?
And to answer your question, I like UNSW because, as has been said on these boards man times before, it has a certain 'geographic convenience' for me. That and, even though some may be skeptical in the new program, I have full confidence in it.

However I do also like Melboune because of its way of teaching which agrees most to me, and on top of that its the furthest i'd be willing to travel interstate. =P
NRSL = Non Recent School Leaver. In the eyes of UAC's undergraduate applications office, this is any person applying for a position in a course that has done something since completing the HSC or equivalent.

As for not willing to go further than Melbourne...well, you're a coward. :p

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)