NSW DET Internet Filtering Question (1 Viewer)

me121

Premium Member
HSC
I have a few questions... I tried to find them out on the web but either I couldn't find the info, or I'm not sure if things have changed recently...

1. Do you know if the DET NSW currently use a whitelist or blacklist type filter?
2. Do they publish a list of allowed/blocked sites?
3. Do they block these forums?
4. Do they block the whole of youtube or just some pages from it?
5. Do they block sites like blogger.com and wordpress.com?
6. What about social networking sites, are there any main ones that are not blocked?

Thanks this information would be very helpful for me.

helper

HSC
N/A
1. Last we were told it was a whitelist now but they keep changing it
2. Teachers can check if a site is blocked or not but I haven't seen a full list
3. Just checked and they are not banned by the DET but individual schools might. It is classified as educational/reference
4. IT is banned with a global block . Teachertube is available to year 11 upward
5. Both those sights are banned as are most blogs
6. In general they are blocked. If one is found they will block it.

Last edited:

-tal-

HSC
I have a few questions... I tried to find them out on the web but either I couldn't find the info, or I'm not sure if things have changed recently...

1. Do you know if the DET NSW currently use a whitelist or blacklist type filter?
2. Do they publish a list of allowed/blocked sites?
3. Do they block these forums?
4. Do they block the whole of youtube or just some pages from it?
5. Do they block sites like blogger.com and wordpress.com?
6. What about social networking sites, are there any main ones that are not blocked?

Thanks this information would be very helpful for me.
1) Blacklist, type in certain words, and boom! You're gone.
2) No.
3) My school doesn't
4) All of youtube. No video or P2P sites.
5) Yes.
6) All blocked. They work on a blacklist I'm pretty sure, all pages have categories, and somehow, they just seem to block all the ones that aren't for educational purposes. Even political pages.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
I am aware that they act on a whitelist basis: that is, all sites are blocked and one must request for unblocking to access it.

What im asking is- who/what checks the site for whether it can be unblocked?
(because if its only one guy, REQUEST SPAM)

helper

HSC
N/A
IT is a series of people employed for the job. It is not automated and can take a week or more sometimes.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
IT is a series of people employed for the job. It is not automated and can take a week or more sometimes.
Thank you for the info. I will act according to this.

helper

HSC
N/A
IT only accepts request from DET accounts, not students.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Thanks for that, i will act accordingly. btw how do you know this?

helper

HSC
N/A
I have had the frustration of putting in too many requests and speaking to too many people who control the filters when they are working and when they aren't.

sinophile

HSC
N/A
I have had the frustration of putting in too many requests and speaking to too many people who control the filters when they are working and when they aren't.
Okay, thanks. I will do exactly what you have done, and try to spam requests. I will spam 1000 requests.

helper

HSC
N/A
Don't expect a quick reply and don't be surprised if they black ban you if they think you are spamming.

alcalder

Just ask for help
HSC
N/A
And Teachertube does not have all the videos from YouTube that are truely educational.

I wanted to show "Powers Of Ten" to my classes and it was on YouTube and not the other. It was on another video site and accessible through the portal but only in German! That's wasn't very helpful. At least now I can download and covert YouTube videos :D

I don't agree with the DET filter for teachers. Teachers should be able to access everything. There are times when I was going to legitimate sites and sometimes the filter would let me and others it wouldn't. VERY FRUSTRATING!:evilfire:

sinophile

HSC
N/A
Don't expect a quick reply and don't be surprised if they black ban you if they think you are spamming.
Thank you, now I will mobilise my group of friends to distribute the spam equally. And I am perfectly justified in my spamming, because they are legitimate requests and are spam only in the fact that many come at once. And if there is a delayed reply then I will appeal to the law for restricting the rights of information to the child.

pmt

HSC
:apig:My teacher said that the DET has gone to thing called White List :argue:hence we have less and less chance to access webpages. Only webpages provided on the white list can be accessed.:mad:

madrooster

<?php exploit(); ?>
HSC
It's a whitelist for students - this is why you will get blocked for "Uncategorised" sites. Blacklist for all others.

They have been talking about time of day filtering recently too for those toy laptops they're going to roll out.

*Jezzza

HSC
Uni Grad
It's a whitelist system and it really annoys me.. apparently though, some of the private schools (Kings etc) have YouTube unblocked for boarders... lucky...

I personally found that in Year 10 that by using a TAFE account, you can get around the whitelist and be on the old blacklist system :D.. and now everyone is taking my idea... ahh well..

justme2

HSC
N/A
Maybe some of you could get your parents on to it: nothing teachers say has any impact!

I teach Studies of Religion and have difficulty accessing so many sites that it is not funny - even Moses! By the time I get the web addresses from the students, contact the department and have the sites unblocked (because none of them should have been blocked in the first place) it is too late.

They want education to enter the new technology age - but won't allow the technology!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)