NSW Premier resignation (1 Viewer)

brent012

Webmaster
Webmaster
HSC
Should we just do a mega-thread if heaps of politicians resign?
Constance too, Chris O'Keefe from 9News says to expect more in the next few days. A couple with federal government ambitions, others retiring.

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
2. Cases of false accusations of rape are exceedingly rare, far far less common that a victim who chooses not to report their assault.
We don't actually know how common false rape accusations are. Some false accusations result in convictions, some fail at trial from lack of evidence, some never make it to trial for lack of evidence, and some are recognised as being fake by police. Only the latter group is counted towards 'false accusation'.

It's also the case that its more important to keep an innocent man out of jail than it is to put a rapist in jail, because the suffering caused by a failure of the former is far higher than the latter. Doesn't mean we don't take rape accusations seriously, but erring on the side of some people getting away with it has to be better than innocent people being harmed. And a person's life can be ruined without even being convicted.

Believing the victim is regularly an important part of their coming to terms with their assault, it is far from saying convict on an accusation and nothing more. I know too many people who have been raped and the damage done by rapists to their victim(s) lives is immense.
"Believe victims" is question-begging nonsense. The whole point of all of this is we don't know if somebody is a victim. That's what we're trying to establish. We don't recognise them as actually being victims until if/when we believe them. If we recognise somebody as being a victim, then we necessarily already believe them. If we don't believe they've been raped, then as far as we're concerned they're not victims.

4. The rate of successful prosecution for rape is low, and the idea that there is a crisis going on with men being victimised with false allegations of rape is absurd.
If you think it takes an actual conviction and jail sentence for a man's life to be ruined, then you are hopelessly misinformed.

Mark Pearson was charged with sexual assault, accused of penetrating a woman with his fingers in a train station. Despite having no witnesses, no forensic evidence AND CCTV footage demonstrating it was physically impossible that the assault could have happened, Pearson spent a year of his life having his name dragged through the mud, spending over a year in legal battles and interrogations and not even being made aware of the CCTV footage for six months and finally going to trial. He was found not guilty, because the jury wasn't comprised of male hating c*nts, but after all this the prosecution still claim there was sufficient evidence for the case to go to trial. Mr Pearson now suffers from anxiety and many do not even know he was acquitted.

What FUCKING planet are you living on where rape isn't treated seriously, and where its hard to get a conviction? The prosecution took this to trial even though the evidence definitively proved that he couldn't be guilty. They literally fucking slowed down the CCTV footage to make it seem like he had enough time to commit the assault for fuck's sake. And twitter ban anyone who mentions the accuser's name, despite Pearson being called a rapist with no conviction and no recourse.

Because remember, women being held accountable for destroying men's lives is unacceptable, whereas innocent men having their lives ruined for no good reason is just the cost of doing business.

Last edited:

someth1ng

Retired Nov '14
HSC
Uni Grad
We don't actually know how common false rape accusations are. Some false accusations result in convictions, some fail at trial from lack of evidence, some never make it to trial for lack of evidence, and some are recognised as being fake by police. Only the latter group is counted towards 'false accusation'.

It's also the case that its more important to keep an innocent man out of jail than it is to put a rapist in jail, because the suffering caused by a failure of the former is far higher than the latter. Doesn't mean we don't take rape accusations seriously, but erring on the side of some people getting away with it has to be better than innocent people being harmed. And a person's life can be ruined without even being convicted.
We have some estimates at ~5%. I can see how someone would interpret that as very low or very high (my opinion is...that's very fucking high). If you choose to convict someone based on an accusation, then you'd expect a miscarriage of justice every twenty cases (and I'd expect more if bad people decided they could get away with it).

As far as believing victims, I view it more as ensuring there's adequate support rather than lowering the requirements for a conviction.

cosmo 2

the head cheese
HSC
i dont give the remotest of a fuck about gladys' secret boyfriend or whatever boring scandal this is, who absolutely fucking cares

politicians in aus are doing even more fucked up to you openly, legally, in broad day light and no one is saying a word in objection

fuck off

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
As far as believing victims, I view it more as ensuring there's adequate support rather than lowering the requirements for a conviction.
well la dee da

thats not what it meant as though

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
We have some estimates at ~5%. I can see how someone would interpret that as very low or very high (my opinion is...that's very fucking high). If you choose to convict someone based on an accusation, then you'd expect a miscarriage of justice every twenty cases (and I'd expect more if bad people decided they could get away with it).
These estimates aren't reliable. They only include cases that are demonstrated as false at trial. Many rape cases don't make it anywhere near a trial because of a lack of evidence, and these are rarely if ever counted as 'false accuations' even if they are entirely fabricated.

And in any case, all of this assumes that the false accusation rate is independent of the prevailing legal environment which is almost certainly false. If the standard to establish guilt in a rape case is radically reduced, then we should expect the false accusation rate to dramtically increase. We know for a fact that false accusations already exist, meaning some women feel an incentive to make them. If we lower the cost/increase the likelihood of success for false accusations, then the incentive to make these false accusations will be higher.

It's like saying that not many people use heroin, so it doesn't really matter if we legalise the sale of heroin. When obviously, the rate of heroin use depends significantly on its legality and accessibility.

Does this seem like the kind of society where alleged victims aren't adequately supported?

This is slam dunk open and shut case of a fake rape accusation, and simply mentioning the accusers name in relation to this case will get your post deleted (and your account possibly banned) from twitter. And your opinion is that this isn't enough?

carrotsss

HSC
These estimates aren't reliable. They only include cases that are demonstrated as false at trial. Many rape cases don't make it anywhere near a trial because of a lack of evidence, and these are rarely if ever counted as 'false accuations' even if they are entirely fabricated.

And in any case, all of this assumes that the false accusation rate is independent of the prevailing legal environment which is almost certainly false. If the standard to establish guilt in a rape case is radically reduced, then we should expect the false accusation rate to dramtically increase. We know for a fact that false accusations already exist, meaning some women feel an incentive to make them. If we lower the cost/increase the likelihood of success for false accusations, then the incentive to make these false accusations will be higher.

It's like saying that not many people use heroin, so it doesn't really matter if we legalise the sale of heroin. When obviously, the rate of heroin use depends significantly on its legality and accessibility.

Does this seem like the kind of society where alleged victims aren't adequately supported?

This is slam dunk open and shut case of a fake rape accusation, and simply mentioning the accusers name in relation to this case will get your post deleted (and your account possibly banned) from twitter. And your opinion is that this isn't enough?
you replied 2 years late

Interdice

HSC
Speaking of politics am I the only one who doesn't care about Brittany Higgins? From what I gather she was some kind of low level worker who got "sexually assaulted" by the MP or something. THEY'VE BEEN TALKING ABOUT IT FOR A FUCKING YEAR NOW. I DON'T GIVE A FUCK. if she was a hot Asian intern maybe i'd care.

It's weird though. When me and my little brother are watching news, extremely descriptive, R rated descriptions of her describing how she got raped just show up and makes the news awkwared. Like honestly who cares. Not me.

I also miss Donald Trump because he used to make the news fun. He was probably the only politician i'd personally vote for. Cause politicians lie about their promises and almost never fulfill. With Trump you are at least guaranteed entertainment I also support his stance on Ukraine. Cut the fucking funding lmao

SylviaB

Just Bee Yourself 🐝
HSC
Speaking of politics am I the only one who doesn't care about Brittany Higgins? From what I gather she was some kind of low level worker who got "sexually assaulted" by the MP or something. THEY'VE BEEN TALKING ABOUT IT FOR A FUCKING YEAR NOW. I DON'T GIVE A FUCK. if she was a hot Asian intern maybe i'd care.

It's weird though. When me and my little brother are watching news, extremely descriptive, R rated descriptions of her describing how she got raped just show up and makes the news awkwared. Like honestly who cares. Not me.

I also miss Donald Trump because he used to make the news fun. He was probably the only politician i'd personally vote for. Cause politicians lie about their promises and almost never fulfill. With Trump you are at least guaranteed entertainment I also support his stance on Ukraine. Cut the fucking funding lmao
incredibly based my dude

Interdice

HSC
incredibly based my dude
I know. Everybody on reddit is so hypocritical. Always getting mad at Russia vs Ukraine, but conviently forgetting that the west was the one that started the war lmao. USA put too much influence in Ukraine so Russia stopped it. I honestly stand with Russia. Also Crimea has a primary Russian population, so joining Russia would make sense. Ukraine has been part of the Russian Empire since the 1800s, so rejoining Russia or at least being a puppet state makes sense. Everybody says never trust Russia, but Belarus is doing just fine. Also USA has plenty of vassal states. Russia only has Belarus and the maybe stan countries.

Also Trump was unironically at least an average president. He made promoted peace with Russia, North Korea and China. He stepped into North Korea. Honestly not too bad. I hope he gets reelected. I'm gonna laugh watching Zelensky beg like the comedian he is, after all of the anti trump stuff he said.

Interdice

HSC
There were defintely worse presidents than trump in modern time. He's defintely not the best, but he hasn't done anything too bad

Richard Nixon- Watergate. Chose Pakistan over India. USSR backed India took territory from USA backed East Pakistan(Banglesdesh)
George W Bush - Afganistan. 2008 crash
Vietnam war presidents(USA defeat).

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)